Any tips on Riding and leading..

kick_On

Visit site
as tittle says. I really do need to get this cracked as work full time with two horse in competetion etc.... Have one horse who i can lead from but other horse justs stop dead and will not move. Will get friend to ride out behind, too see if having a horse behind gets him going, and if i do the other way round grumpy decides to try and bite ridden horse which ends up as a nitemare
confused.gif
confused.gif

Is having a friend help the only way forward, until lead gg learns what what
ta

tuscanyD

Visit site
You could try one of those grazing muzzles or similar on the grumpy horse that will lead to discourage biting?

remember to keep the lead horses head close to/slightly in front of your knee for ease of leading/less danger of hoss being kicked by the other one plus enables a swift sharp poke with your toe if it tries to bite the ridden horse can be educational.

In my experience its very hard to make a lazy horse easy to lead - much easier to try and prevent/cure grumpy horse of biting.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I trained mine to a Dually halter - so I can use that from another horse - more control than a headcollar, but better for them than yanking around with the bridle.

Have you tried a sharp pull when grumpy one bites - they should soon accept that they have to get on with it!

Also on a random point the Monty Roberts Fix Up DVD includes a section on leading a horse from another.

Good luck - all I have to remember is not to use my right arm too much (dislocated it not so long ago, so have to be a bit careful!)

kick_On

Visit site
Grumpy has a few issues, got to do everything with bridle on or will pee off, learnt all his tricks when foal with breeder and has never grown out and now 11 (3rd owner) and still can do if you give him the chance. Would prefer to ride grumpy as not grumpy when ridden, but little one just stop dead, but when ridden off leg and active,
Also tried looking for someone to help with exercising and small stable duties but had no luck at all and everyone who's replied has been not up to the job in ridding or comminment (sp). And for the pass two years had people helping and they have been fab, but now getting really pee off about as i have well schooled and well mannered if you know what your doing horses. And it like trying to find a needle in haystack
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

ooooph sorry moaning
so if they is someone out there go on pm me!!!!!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Ride and lead is like anything, it has to be taught unless you are very lucky.

I started with Chancer in the school. First we led in hand with him in the correct position and me on the outside of Cairo. If he lagged behind, my instructor encouraged him forward. Once he got the idea, I then mounted Cairo and had my instructor again encourage him forward if he lagged.

He soon got the hang of not stopping but keeping his shoulder where my knee is. He occasionally goes further forward, but I just gently bring him back but don't tell him off as I want him forward going.

He does occasionally stop - to have a pee or investigate something, but when I give a pull on the rope catches up. He is firmly told off if he tries to graze and given a tug on the rope to make it clear that grazing unless I have come to a stop and said ok is not allowed.

I spent probably about 5 sessions of 15 mins in the school and until we could stop, do figures of 8, trot nicely etc we did not attempt to go out. We then went into the field for two sessions doing the same exercises.

One thing you can do if the horse being led stops is to have the ridden horse back up and then push the horse being led into a small circle and then strike off again.

That said, you need an excellent ridden horse who will do this - I am very lucky, Mr C (normally) is the master of ride and lead.

Finally both mine are voice trained which really helps when I wish to stop, change pace etc.

I find this a great way of exercising two horses and getting the little stinker hacking out until he is backed.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I use a leather lead rope with 2 chain bits which separate onto the bit I find this brilliant if led horse is nipping a short sharp yank with this and they stop. One of mine will lead and then get bored and stop and the other plods while being led! I have found riding with a schooling whip and a short lead rein most effective. The schooling whip can be used to encourage forwards and the short rein stops them being left behind.