Any truth to this?

Irishcobs

Visit site
I was told when I was younger that you shouldn't turn a stabled horse out on frozen grass with an empty belly as it could cause colic.
This has stuck with me and so I always make sure my horse has had a hard feed and if possible has a belly of hay before she goes out. At my last yard we weren't allowed to put hay out in the field so I used to go up early to feed and hay her in and a friend would turn her out later for me.
At current yard she has her own paddock so I put hay out. She has her hard feed and is turned out with hay which she always goes straight to eat (not alot of grass anyway).
I was told horses that live out 24/7 aren't at risk as they eat the grass while it is freezing so they don't get the shock from it.
Any truth to this or am I worrying for no reason?

Lotty

Visit site
My horse is stabled and we are not allowed to put hay in our field. Before she goes out I always give her 1 scoop of happy hoof and a 5lb hay net whilst I muck out.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine always have hay before going out o to frosty and wet grass.

A friends horse got colic from wet grass, it have been raining for weeks and the vet said the grass gets acidic when when and irritated his tummy lining. He always recommends to his clients to feed hay before turn out on snow/frost/wet grass.

benson21

Visit site
the only time the vet treated benson for mild colic was the day I put him out on frozen grass. I was quite new to the horse world, and wasnt aware of anything different, so didnt give it a thought. never done it again though!

Ilovefoals

Visit site
I read something the other day that said it was a myth but I can't remember where. However, I'll stick to giving them hay and hoping it defrosts a bit before putting them out I think.

Diesal

Visit site
I have always been told that this is true and also that turning out on frosty/frozen grass can increase the risk of laminitus too :(

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
It is definitely a risk factor for lami....not sure about the colic, however it makes sense, it's not much hardship giving them a feed and some hay before they go out :) not worth risking it really! :)
K x

Tash88

Visit site
I agree with this practice as I worry that my horse will colic if there isn't anything in his tummy when he has to eat frozen grass. My field was frozen this morning for the first time this winter and he had his normal breakfast, plus a section of hay before he went out. I will probably be doing this for the rest of the winter now as I think it's going to be a cold one!

catkin

Visit site
Have always done this - was drummed into me as a child to 'prevent colic' (and it was practically pre-history when I was a tacker).

Was chatting to farrier and vet not long ago, and the conversation turned to doing just this - to lower risks to potential lami/EMS ponies.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
This is very interesting. I have always kept my horses out 24/7. so from what has been said so far this is OK and the are eating as the grass is freezing?

The stabled horses on the yard have run out of hay by the morning (not sure what time during the night) and they all get chucked straight out with no breakfast or hay. What are the chances really of colic? Does anyone have any stats? Just for my curiosity really xx