Any use Carpet Gallop?

Timmy T

Visit site
Hi,

We are in the process of planning a 40x20 arena and trying to negotiate the minefield of surfaces. Traditional sand/fibre surfaces are proving pretty expensive due to our location and access issues (we are in N Devon and cannot get large lorries into the site), but we have seen Carpet Gallop. The company claims that this shredded automotive carpet surface can be used as a standalone surface, doesn't ride deep, is very true to turf (my wife competes BE, so she wants to use it for jumping as well as flat work) and only needs rolling (no harrowing).

Has anyone had any experience of this surface, either good or bad? It works out very cost effective compared to sand/fibre (because of transportation costs), but I'm always minded of "Buy cheap, buy twice!".

Polos Mum

Visit site
there's a recent thread about flexi-ride as a stand alone surface riding very deep - as a top up over sand I love mine but it was very fluffy to start with and definitely needed to bed into the sand

bucksdaphne

Visit site
Hi,

We are in the process of planning a 40x20 arena and trying to negotiate the minefield of surfaces. Traditional sand/fibre surfaces are proving pretty expensive due to our location and access issues (we are in N Devon and cannot get large lorries into the site), but we have seen Carpet Gallop. The company claims that this shredded automotive carpet surface can be used as a standalone surface, doesn't ride deep, is very true to turf (my wife competes BE, so she wants to use it for jumping as well as flat work) and only needs rolling (no harrowing).

Has anyone had any experience of this surface, either good or bad? It works out very cost effective compared to sand/fibre (because of transportation costs), but I'm always minded of "Buy cheap, buy twice!".

JillA

Visit site
I have Carpet Gallop as a top up on top of rubber (on top of wood chips which are rapidly rotting away). It works well and once it is settled very rarely needs grading. It does provide a nice bed for weed seeds though so I spray mine every now and then, and the other disadvantage is I keep finding bits of carpet in the adjoining paddocks. Not sure whether they have blown there, been carried in feet or by the birds!

JoannaC

Visit site
I have Carpet Gallop over silica sand and so far all good, I did think about the stand alone but was worried if it didn't work it would be more expensive to put right and having never come across it before didn't want to take the risk but would be interested to know if it does work.

Bob notacob

Visit site
The chopped carpet is very light and dont think for a moment that the lorry delivering it will be small. We had a load delivered yesterday to top up the schools . The driver (brilliant but navigational challenged) Arrived from Sollihul to darkest Surrey with a six wheeler towing a tri axle trailer and by Bob he could drive it anywhere. AS a surface , it beds down well with time but dont expect instant miracles . I would never do fast work on it , slow canters only. Mr notacob thinks its great to work on . As an Irish draught he is not easily pleased.

ihatework

Visit site
I think it is highly variable depending on the exact carpet surface and what goes on underneath it, plus weather conditions and how it’s maintained.

In general, when I have ridden in arenas with it, I haven’t liked it - it’s been on the deep and dead side. That said I did do a clinic somewhere once and it rode very nicely.

I have 2 gallop options near me - 1 is carpet over sand, 1 is rubber over sand. The carpet one was superb in this hot dry summer whereas the rubber one was virtually unrideable. In the wet winter the carpet was ok, but I’d probably choose the rubber