Any views on equisal tapeworm tests? Do they work?

Tobiano

Visit site
Hi - am trying to find a way to make sure my horse does not have tapeworm, without using an ivermectin based wormer as I recently lost my youngster to EGS and there is thought to be a possible link to use of ivermectin :( (It wasn't involved in my case but I would never forgive myself if I used it and lost another).

I've recently seen there is a saliva test for tapeworm - has anyone on here used it or heard anything about it? Otherwise I am wondering if i should get vet to do a blood test.

Any views please?

Thanks!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I asked my vet about this last time I had mine checked , I was told ATM they are advising clients to stick with the blood test.

c2b

Visit site
I've used it twice. Very easy to use. First time came back clear, second time needed to worm for tapes.
There is some info on how it was tested and validated on Westgate labs site.

BlackRider

Visit site
I've used it a couple of times, Sept last year, and a couple of months ago, both times it came back clear.

There is a lot of research that has gone into this, and I felt confident using it. The only thing that is a pain is that they can't eat for 30 mins before you do the test, so I always time it with a farrier visit, when I'd just be holding him and he doesn't have food, and take the sample afterwards.

Pen

Visit site
I also asked my vet about the efficacy of the tapeworm saliva test but he said just worm them. I suppose vets do err on the side of caution with new products but it was a quite definite 'no'. I only worm twice a year anyway so I'm sticking with that for now.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've used it very successfully with my two, one came back clear and the other needed worming. I looked at the research done and was happy with the effectiveness. The cob wasn't too happy about not eating for 30mins but he survived somehow, otherwise the whole process was very pain free.

I suspect the vets who advise against either don't know much about it and don't want to admit ignorance or are quite happy getting paid to take a blood test.

Boulty

Visit site
I found it very easy to use and would definitely use it again. Yard I was on at time wouldn't recognise it as valid and still made me worm but ah well

Dizzle

Visit site
Maybe look at a schedule of regular saliva tests then back it up with a blood test once a year? Then look at moving the blood test every 18 months, 2 years if the results correspond with the saliva test?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Maybe look at a schedule of regular saliva tests then back it up with a blood test once a year? Then look at moving the blood test every 18 months, 2 years if the results correspond with the saliva test?

Rather the blood test once a year can't see the advantage in that .

Tobiano

Visit site
thanks all. I will have a look on Westgate labs' site for the up to date info and see what it says. I have always just gone ahead and wormed before, but am doing a faecal egg count this time too.

twiggy2

Visit site
I also asked my vet about the efficacy of the tapeworm saliva test but he said just worm them. I suppose vets do err on the side of caution with new products but it was a quite definite 'no'. I only worm twice a year anyway so I'm sticking with that for now.

my vet is not convinced by the test and said the same-he fully backs stool samples for worm counts (he uses them on his own horses), he just feels the saliva test has not been around long enough to prove it self as an accurate test and that the damage tape worm can do means it is not worth the risk. I will continue to worm twice per year.

Dizzle

Visit site
Rather the blood test once a year can't see the advantage in that .

Well, maybe different timings but the gist is if you are worried about the reliability of the saliva test, back it up with a less frequent blood test to ensure that results correspond and if they results match do less and less frequent blood tests.

Borderreiver

Visit site
Hello great to hear that so many people are starting to use the Equisal test, well done have faith! The test is really well validated as I keep saying, in fact better validated than the current established blood test which vets are happy to use. Gradually vets are coming on board, though I think many don't know enough about it yet. Advice to 'just worm' is disgraceful!
Equisal work with some large vet practices like Rossdales already and Bransby equine rescue also use it. I use it and my horses were part of a trial last year. My pony had been regularly wormed for tapeworm with praziquantel but was positive when tested. I dosed him with double pyrantel and then tested every two weeks for the rest of the year. His anti body levels dropped after a few weeks and stayed low, no more worming for tapeworm. I just tested him again in the last couple of weeks and he still has a low result and no need to worm.
It's the way forward. The test was developed by excellent established scientists one of whom is also a horse person. I have met the team, visited the lab and have full confidence in this product.

Tobiano

Visit site
ooh brilliant Borderreiver, that is great to see. I will go ahead with the test, and my horses' field mate's owner wants to do it too :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi - am trying to find a way to make sure my horse does not have tapeworm, without using an ivermectin based wormer as I recently lost my youngster to EGS and there is thought to be a possible link to use of ivermectin :( (It wasn't involved in my case but I would never forgive myself if I used it and lost another).

I've recently seen there is a saliva test for tapeworm - has anyone on here used it or heard anything about it? Otherwise I am wondering if i should get vet to do a blood test.

Any views please?

Thanks!

Ivermectin does not do tapeworm.

I've used the test pn two horses, one positive, one negative.

ycbm

Visit site
my vet is not convinced by the test and said the same-he fully backs stool samples for worm counts (he uses them on his own horses), he just feels the saliva test has not been around long enough to prove it self as an accurate test and that the damage tape worm can do means it is not worth the risk. I will continue to worm twice per year.

Stool samples don't show tapeworm, only a blood test or saliva test.

SO1

Visit site
Ivermectin does not treat tape worm. Are you getting confussed with bots? ivermectin does treat bots and there is no test for bots that I am aware of.

If you have been using this thinking it will treat tapeworm then you may well have a tapeworm problem.

praziquantel eg equitape or pyrantel embonate eg pyratape at a double dose do treat tape worm

Any views please?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
Ivermectin does not treat tape worm. Are you getting confussed with bots? ivermectin does treat bots and there is no test for bots that I am aware of.

If you have been using this thinking it will treat tapeworm then you may well have a tapeworm problem.

praziquantel eg equitape or pyrantel embonate eg pyratape at a double dose do treat tape worm

Thank you! i have used equitape in the past (phew!) but I did have the idea that I should use an ivermectin based wormer periodically and had got it into my head that it was for tapeworm. (I always ask the experts what wormer to use, so I was probably just worrying unnecessarily about ivermectin - but it can't be a bad thing to use wormers in a more targeted way I guess).

ETA I have always just scraped off any bot eggs I have seen. Black and white horse = easy to spot!

SO1

Visit site
You can put together a program that will treat all worms without using Ivermectin. However Ivermectin is the most effective treatment for bots though Pramox will treat them too.

Strategic worming is probably best though to prevent resistance and to confirm that the worming program you are using is working.

Thank you! i have used equitape in the past (phew!) but I did have the idea that I should use an ivermectin based wormer periodically and had got it into my head that it was for tapeworm. (I always ask the experts what wormer to use, so I was probably just worrying unnecessarily about ivermectin - but it can't be a bad thing to use wormers in a more targeted way I guess).

ETA I have always just scraped off any bot eggs I have seen. Black and white horse = easy to spot!

ycbm

Visit site
yes I know-i was pointing out my vet backs a test that reduces the need for worming that he feels is accurate but does not support the saliva test as he does not feel it is accurate or proven enough

I'll bet he's happy to do the tapeworm blood test, which has no more proof, and charge you for it though? You vet is out of date, see the post above from the person who was in a trial for it.

DD

Visit site
Ivermactin does not kill tapeworm. pyrantel embonate at double dose or praziquantel kills tapeworm . Moxidectin kills bots and encysted round worm.
Send a pm to Bprderreiver, she owns westgate labs and has lots of good advice.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
I'll bet he's happy to do the tapeworm blood test, which has no more proof, and charge you for it though? You vet is out of date, see the post above from the person who was in a trial for it.

I don't pay for routine work.
no he is not a fan of the blood test either but does do it on request-he does not tell people they cannot do the saliva test (it is not his place), he is not a vet that is likely to be out of date-he loves new research it is more likely he wants the tests to prove themselves and feels they need to do that (like many things) over a period of time. He is aware of the long term damage of tape worm burdens as he is aware of the problems that wormers can cause but on balance his advice is that the saliva test is very new a not proven to be accurate enough.

Pen

Visit site
My vet has similar attitude to twiggy2s vet in that when I bought up the question of tapeworm saliva tests, he did not suggest blood test and never has done. Nor do I buy wormers from him, so no financial advantage to him there. I did mention resistance to wormers but his advice was that as mine is a closed herd and I remove droppings daily resistance was unlikely to be a problem. I keep an open mind on these matters and will consider using the saliva test in the future.

Tobiano

Visit site
ok well i have bought the test kits for my 2 and their field companion. We will see what they come up with - and then I will decide whether to worm or not...

thanks so much everyone who has commented. Especially for correcting my ignorance! (This bit of it anyway!)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Apart from new horses it's literally years since I had to worm a horse we are of course doing WEC
I was doing them yearly for tapeworm but swopped two years ago to a blood test .
Interestingly the only one that's needed dosing for tapeworm is the one in the poo picked skinny strip .
The vector for equine tapeworms is a mite if I remember rightly so you can't really control them easily .
I will ask my vet next time about the saliva test again.