anybody built there own arena before?

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
I havnt but 3 of my feiends have and my sister is in the process of. If you are doing it yourself, you need a mini digger to dig it out, then you need to put in drainage pipes, stone to absorb the water, taurpaulin to stop the stone and weeds coming up, and then whatever surface you will use. Once you have the money, it can be done very quickly, it all comes down to money. xx

Moobucket

Visit site
I looked in to it. It's so more much more complicated than you imagine to do it well. Getting the levels right and sourcing good quality materials is mind boggling. I gave up and got a professional in in the end. The fact that I have a guarantee made all the difference!

Missmac

Visit site
You can never have enough drainage. Plan how much you will need then add more. Nothing more depressing than going to the expense of building an arena then not being able to use it half the year.

Missmac

Visit site
Phone posted before i had finished!

This happened to a friend of mine who built her own but got the drainage wrong! She had massive puddles all over it in the winter. Ended up ripping it up and getting a professional in to install one.

Enfys

Visit site
I do every year. The peasants variety. :( Costs me nothing but fuel and a few hours to maintain, not a suitable idea for most of the UK considering the weather, unless you do have sandy soil.

We just till a field, this one is about three quarters of an acre, harrow it, a lot, and weed it (which I was doing when I took the photo) Fortunately our land is 70% sand, we do get puddles but it drains fast, and the surface is a good 4" or 5", which is what we need for roping, reining and games where a soft footing is vital. I dare say we would wreck a proper surfaced arena in a season, I wouldn't want constant barrel and pole practice on an expensive surface.

6201021e.jpg

In winter we have another field that is almost pure sand but tucked away in the forest where it is sheltered.

If I was having a proper arena built then I would certainly just get a professional in to do it, as Moobucket says, then you have a guarantee.

Last edited: