Anybody Else Find Unwanted Objects In Hay Bales ?

GoodBoyNice

Visit site
I have acquired quite a collection of undesirable items in my hay bales.I now sift through the hay very carefully before giving it to my pony.
Last year a pair of mens underpants fell out of the hay bale - I saved them to show the farmer when she came to deliver me another order.
She just laughed it off when i asked Do you know who these belong to ? They were in the hay.
A few weeks ago a large piece of wood fell out - it shocked me as it looked like a bone but it was wood not a bone.
Today another piece of wood and also lots of 2 inch bits of orange bailing string are in the hay which i have to pick out.
Im not happy at this so looks like i will have to find another supplier.
Has anybody else had this problem ?

asmp

Visit site
Bought a small wrapped haylage bale once which had a huge piece of wood in it. The shop where I bought it from refunded me.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Over the years, yes odd items occasionally.
Most frequent ones were dried out flattened rabbits. Had a decent dog collar once.

That said, its v rare occasions to get anything apart from hay, its usually off the old meadows near the stream on private land with no pedestrian legal access. My only gripe is that farmer friend only cuts once the big bales are all done, last couple of years it's been v late cut due to late growth as been v dry springs.

PurBee

Visit site
Yes, i’ve discovered all sorts in hay and haylage. It’s hard for the farmer to see what’s at the base of the field when the grass is so long, and the rake will pick everything up to be baled.

I’ve had dead mice, crisp packets, a chopped up can of drink - glad i spotted that as the pieces were sharp. Wire lengths, baler twine, sticks and stones - some very large stones weirdly! Mostly these items are easily spotted if you shake out hay before feeding.

Hilarious you got a mobile phone wispybec! ?

If the hay is super nice i wouldnt look for a new supplier OP - having oddities in the odd tonne here and there isn’t uncommon. I’d only seek a new supply if the items are dangerous for horses mouths and happening very regularly…every month.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve had large stones and on the odd occasion a tine off the harrow ? my father in law makes our hay so I make sure to return the tines!

Lady Tinseltime

Visit site
Bought some hay from near Salisbury Plain once It had quite a few spent bullets in it. Also bought a bag of chaff once with a Stanley knife in it

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
We received a mangled bird in our most recent hay bale - hay still seemed fine and ponies are eating it. The underpants are hilarious, how on earth did they wind up in a field :oops:

Wishfilly

Visit site
Once had a slow worm (dead and dessicated) in a large round bale- that was a nice surprise for my friend who was terrified of snakes!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
We received a mangled bird in our most recent hay bale - hay still seemed fine and ponies are eating it. The underpants are hilarious, how on earth did they wind up in a field :oops:
Having had my washing blow away in a gale I can easily understand stuff like underpants getting into hay. My underpinnings were retrieved from the top of the diesel tanks several days later.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Having had my washing blow away in a gale I can easily understand stuff like underpants getting into hay. My underpinnings were retrieved from the top of the diesel tanks several days later.
You have SO got a cleaner mind than me. I automatically presumed we were all thinking an illicit coupling in the long grass; disturbed; ran away nekkid to hide in the woods until dark.

mini_b

Visit site
You have SO got a cleaner mind than me. I automatically presumed we were all thinking an illicit coupling in the long grass; disturbed; ran away nekkid to hide in the woods until dark.

i immediately thought poor farmer got caught short in his tractor and flung the evidence out of the window ?

spacefaer

Visit site
Stones, wood, tines, mummified rats and mice, cans, crisp packets ....

All over a period of many years to be fair

The rat that I'd (accidentally) carefully soaked in a haynet was particularly unpleasant

scats

Visit site
Stones, wood, tines, mummified rats and mice, cans, crisp packets ....

All over a period of many years to be fair

The rat that I'd (accidentally) carefully soaked in a haynet was particularly unpleasant

I scooped out, with my bare hands, 2 soggy mouse corpses that had fallen into my horses hay cube. I thought they were lumps of uneaten hay.
Yuk.

Green Bean

Visit site
A bucket worth of golf balls in one delivery of hay. Thorny woody pieces of vegetation (horses didn’t want to eat the hay after that ?). Old bits of baking twine.

Ratface

Visit site
I found a live bullet in a bale of haylage. The land the crop had been previously used as an army shooting range.
I was very careful to go through each net after that!