Visit site
Title says it all really?
How did they react?
What does it involve?
Can they go home the same day?
Thanks!

Patchwork

Visit site
I haven't had it done to any of mine but at the local racing yard they endoscope every horse a few days before it races so I would imagine it isn't a big deal...

star

Visit site
seen loads done at uni. with the racehorses they just pop the scope down, have a look, do a quick saline flush and off they go again. sometimes, normal horses need mild sedation, but try not to coz it affects the way the larynx moves. some horses do react quite violently to tube up nose, but most dont seem too bothered.

Skhosu

Visit site
hmm.. my boy is getting scoped on monday. It takes the vet 4 needles to get his normal vaccs. done, and he originally didn't scope him but put him straight on antibiotics because he predicted it would be so bad! I can't see him reacting well? hates mane pulling, injections(and whatever the results will need injectable antibiotics!) and clipping so tube up the nose is unlikely to be popular!

GTs

Visit site
Basically there is a camera on the end of an extension cord, they put it up your horses nose, steer it where they need it to go, and take a couple pictures if the scenery demands.

As Star said it is not a big deal - I have seen 1000s of horses scoped. Maybe 2% need sedation for it, and I have only ever seen one horse with sedation, twitch, etc that could not be scoped - he was still a nut job!!! We could have anaesthetized the horse to scope it, but the risks at that point out weighed the benefits.

Even some 'naughty' horses are fine about it - it is only the first couple inches that cause any discomfort, after that it is fine! I personally would not worry about your horse, when you arrive hand your horse over to the staff, they know what they are doing so stand back and just let them do it.

You will be able to take your horse home that day unless it needs further tests/procedures. If it was sedated they will likely want you to wait till the sedative has worn off before you load it, and will inform you to not feed them on the way home.

ALSO IF YOUR HORSE IS GOING FOR STOMACH ULCERS - MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE FOOD AWAY AS YOUR VET SAYS. THIS INCLUDES NO TREATS, FEED ON THE TRAILER, ETC!!!

After getting the scope in, it is a pity to find a full tummy!!!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
ok, thanks! It's for a respiratory infection, just to check there's nothing up there causing it. That's reassuring that most horses are good about it. We're going straight to sedation though, don't think vet would do it otherwise.

Thanks for all the info guys!

GTs

Visit site
At the hospital I have never seen them go straight to sedation.....

The horse minimally gets the fingers test before they sedate.

Caritas

Visit site
Your horse will be absolutely fine, had mine scoped after a mild nosebleed two years ago. They sedated him straight away, was a little uncomfortable but they manage. Good luck!!

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I had my horse scoped at Bell Equine after his breathing got a bit laboured. He absolutely hates vets and he was fine, didn't even need sedating. I found the whole thing amazing as you watch the entire 'journey' of the fibre optic thingy on a monitor - it is so clear !!! Amazing technology !!