Anybody use string girths?

Skhosu

Visit site
My saddler has suggested one for my boy. My saddle can move a bit and he reckons it could help the problem?
Not sure though if I'd be too embaressed to wear one at comps and stuff....do they look really cheap and horrible?
It's black, made of 4mm (?) wide twine-like stuff so apparently ti doesn't pinch.
Anybody use one? Are they any good?

parsley

Visit site
I think you can get very posh ones now - they aren't necesarily the brightly coloured things of years ago.

JAK

Visit site
Yes, use these ones:

http://www.tds-saddlers.com/ProductDetails.asp?PCLinkID=6332

Very soft (not like the string girths of old!), don't pinch, wash well & don't go 'crunchy' even when they've been sweated on!

Much wider than a 'normal' girth, so spread the load evenly & help keep CB's saddle in place (toilet roll shaped cob!), though FOO & LBO appreciate them too!

Also come in black, brown & white! Highly recommended!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
yup! That's the one he's given me to try.
Still not keen on the idea...but thanks for the 'good stories'!

JAK

Visit site
No honestly, try them & get the words 'string girth' out of your mind, they're nothing like the old-fashioned ones, truly!
All mine wear them happily & CB is very fussy about girths! I have not known them to pinch, rub or anything else & they really do stay soft!
(I didn't like the idea at first either! LOL)

JAK

Visit site
And they absolutely do not look 'cheap & horrible'! They are very distinctive actually & many people would know instantly that your horse is wearing a Stubben girth!
laugh.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I was recommended this Stubben one on these forums. Its brilliant! Its really soft and wide so extremely nice to use on the horses. It hasnt pinched or rubbed any of mine including my sensitive skinned boy.

Peanot

Visit site
I have one of these stubben girths after a chiro/physio recommended one to me. Apparently they are very good for the horse for a few reasons. I love mine and they are lovely and soft. I don`t use any other now. They don`t sweat either. Definately recommend one.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh my goodness. I had that sooooo wrong! I was still stuck with the image of the old string girths and was a bit baffled TBH about what you were going on about!
Stand corrected and ashamed of myself (and mentally making note to procure similar girth)
smile.gif