Anybodys horse prefer trailer to lorry?

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Okay Ive seen this scenario the other way round but does anybody have any experience of this?
I have a 6.5 ton side ramp, forward facing lorry, 2 Irish ponies that have both disliked it immensely.
The configuration of the partition means you have to step over to one side to unhook it by which time the very anxious Connie sees it as an escape route!
The other Irish cob likes to try & exit over the breast bar but now prevented by Equi Travel Safe.
Im just wondering upon doing some research in the past if most people in Ireland have trailers not lorries?
Also is it the journey over from Ireland that cements this hate of lorries?
So Im now going to hire a trailer & test my theory - the Connie is currently up for sale with full disclosure but he really does not like the lorry at all - its got quite a steep ramp & I just wonder if its the whole feeling of being elevated?
Just looking for others experiences.

ihatework

Visit site
I think if you are going to have a dodgy loader in a lorry, the bigger side loaders will probably show it up. They have the steeper ramp than the 3.5T yet without the space to walk into of the bigger herringbones. Essentially they are walking up into a dead end before turning.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I think if you are going to have a dodgy loader in a lorry, the bigger side loaders will probably show it up. They have the steeper ramp than the 3.5T yet without the space to walk into of the bigger herringbones. Essentially they are walking up into a dead end before turning.
I hope youre right as what should have been a dream lorry purchase has been a nightmare - lorry is sound as a pound but ponies hate it - I know in an ideal world they should just behave but ..... it jumped out at me somewhat when our loan shetland was collected in a trailer & didnt show an ounce of concern whereas she would shake in our lorry - Ive just got to test my theory as the Connie really should be over all this by now!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I would put money on it being your lorry, not all lorries, that is the problem.
I’d agree.

Have you ever travelled in the horse area yourself (sans horses) to see what might be the problem? I know that may not be quite legal, but for research purposes... I’ve done similar in a trailer - very informative.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I had an ex racer who wouldn't load on any lorry but was fine in a trailer. As I only have a trailer it wasn't an issue for me so I never pursued it. Presumably she'd had a bad experience at some point.
My Dales sweats up to high heaven on a lorry. She will come off absolutely lathered. But travels fine in my trailer.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Could you try a solid loader/traveller in your lorry just to check it isn’t the lorry causing issues?
Well thats my other dilemma yes I have a solid traveller first pony but she can only travel on the right hand side as cannot balance on left side as she scrambles.
But anyway I have travelled the breast bar jumper with solid pony & all is fine & calm, but I am loathe to do it with the connie as it means he is against the flimsy opening panels of the lorry not a solid partition!
I am happy its not the lorry in so much as mechanical issues etc.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I would put money on it being your lorry, not all lorries, that is the problem.
Yes Im beginning to wonder - never used anybody elses lorry in 4 years of having both ponies - an awful lot of stress & worry has been caused by what was supposed to be a dream buy - typical!!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I had an ex racer who wouldn't load on any lorry but was fine in a trailer. As I only have a trailer it wasn't an issue for me so I never pursued it. Presumably she'd had a bad experience at some point.
My Dales sweats up to high heaven on a lorry. She will come off absolutely lathered. But travels fine in my trailer.
Oh I hope mine are the same particularly the Connie as he needs to just grow up now!!

cowgirl16

Visit site
I used to have a 6.5 ton side loader, forward facing lorry. My boy travelled in it beautifully. I'm wondering - when you say the ramp is quite steep - is the vehicle high off the ground? If it is - this can cause a high degree of "sway" when the vehicle is moving which some horses find unnerving. My husband sorted this for a customer years ago by putting stiffer suspension on the vehicle. I think the preference for a trailer could be to do with the trailer having a much lower centre of gravity, and therefore a much smoother ride with no swaying about.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I used to have a 6.5 ton side loader, forward facing lorry. My boy travelled in it beautifully. I'm wondering - when you say the ramp is quite steep - is the vehicle high off the ground? If it is - this can cause a high degree of "sway" when the vehicle is moving which some horses find unnerving. My husband sorted this for a customer years ago by putting stiffer suspension on the vehicle. I think the preference for a trailer could be to do with the trailer having a much lower centre of gravity, and therefore a much smoother ride with no swaying about.
Yes the ramp is very steep - more so than most 7.5 ton lorries as its shorter & yes it is high off the ground - I think you have a good point there about the sway which is something I havent considered before, its a coach built box so properly converted but I must resolve our connies issues so am resolved on hiring a trailer hopefully next week to test the theory!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
My mare was in a wagon where the pony next to her went down, she never travelled completely happily in any wagon after that but was worse in some. The one she was worst in was a VW LT35 which is quite a high wagon, which was also my first, and last, wagon purchase! She was happy in all the trailers she travelled in.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Mine sometimes have brain farts when it comes to lorries! I have a trailer (which they all load well into) but if a friend picks me up sometimes it takes a little longer and they don’t always understand the “turn” once they’re up the ramp, but it’s still fairly easy!

holeymoley

Visit site
I would've said mine prefers a trailer to a lorry. But it was one experience with a dodgy lorry (mechanical, kept losing revs on the way home so not a smooth ride at all) and he came out sweating. He’s been in another lorry since and was keen to go on so I’d put money on it there’s something dodgy with the lorry. I was always told a steep ramp is off putting and the higher the lorry is off the ground the less stable the ride is for them.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
An update - borrowed friends trailer -
1. Connie who has been so nervous in lorry was so much more chilled about it all!
2. Irish Cob couldnt wait to load herself on ! I think she may still try to jump out so would have to check about cross ties & safety releases.
Overall a very informative & well worth doing exercise!
Decision made the lorry is being sold!!