Anyone any experience of sesamoid fractures - need some positive vibes

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So my adorable, wonderful baby warmblood has just been diagnosed with an apical fracture of the sesamoid bone in his left hind. The vet thinks it’s been like it for a while as there’s evidence of a fibrous union where the body has tried to heal itself. He’s scheduled for an MRI in a few weeks time as there’s currently a question mark over whether we operate to remove some of the broken bone or not.

Our vet has been super reassuring and I’ve been told the prognosis is relatively good and there’s no reason to think he won’t go on to have a somewhat athletic career (just perhaps won’t make higher level dressage) but I tend to get quite anxious in these situations so could really do with hearing some real life good news stories of others that have dealt with similar injuries.

He was meant to be my next dressage prospect, but honestly he’s such an awesome dude I’d be happy as long as he’s comfy and sound. Anything else would be a bonus.

palo1

Visit site
So my adorable, wonderful baby warmblood has just been diagnosed with an apical fracture of the sesamoid bone in his left hind. The vet thinks it’s been like it for a while as there’s evidence of a fibrous union where the body has tried to heal itself. He’s scheduled for an MRI in a few weeks time as there’s currently a question mark over whether we operate to remove some of the broken bone or not.

Our vet has been super reassuring and I’ve been told the prognosis is relatively good and there’s no reason to think he won’t go on to have a somewhat athletic career (just perhaps won’t make higher level dressage) but I tend to get quite anxious in these situations so could really do with hearing some real life good news stories of others that have dealt with similar injuries.

He was meant to be my next dressage prospect, but honestly he’s such an awesome dude I’d be happy as long as he’s comfy and sound. Anything else would be a bonus.

So sorry to hear this - good to hear vet is reassuring. The only thing to do is have faith in your vet and in the amazing recuperative and repair abilities of horses. He is a young horse so hopefully he has plenty of helpful healing potential. Best wishes with this.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Positive outcome here!

My horse had a basal fracture to a hind sesamoid 4 years plus ago. On the vets advice op to clean up and remove floating bits (options were full 3 months box rest and hope it heals and maybe be in the same position anyway or surgery immediately and box rest). Basal fractures are the 'worst' type as its the connection point for the ligament And his was a big one.

My horse exceeded expectations (after a long 12 months of rest followed by rehab) and is doing more now that he ever was. Xrays at the 12 month mark were 100% clean and in the vets words 'you would never know he'd done it'.

Pics of said horse post injury!

Attachments

• 168820318_10157731077330894_3324659133753044664_n.jpg
    168820318_10157731077330894_3324659133753044664_n.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20200913-WA0150.jpg
    IMG-20200913-WA0150.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thank you all so much, it’s great to hear it’s not complete doom and gloom. I’ve had him since he was 6 months old and he’s now 3 so he’s literally like my child, I honestly don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to him.

We’re very lucky that our vets are one of the best around and the surgeon looking at our X-rays has vast experience with this type of injury so we couldn’t be in better hands. I guess I just worry that the MRI will paint a bleaker picture as he has really done a number on it, but at least then we’ll know what we’re dealing with.