Anyone been to Liverpool International Show?

Colivet

Visit site
As it says in the title - I've been watching the online streaming and feedback from riders seems to be it is a great show - one of the best - but how is it for spectators? Facilities, shopping, value for money, access, entertainment etc.

Colivet

Visit site

Yes I saw that and being Irish I'm inclined to agree with some of my countrymen who are beginning to suspect a conspiracy - the Irish dared to take on the FEI regarding the debacle in Aachen and maybe they are now being targeted with obscure rules - let's face it, the security person didn't stop him accessing "restricted" areas and he was acting in the best interest of his horse's welfare, which is what the rules are supposed to cater for - also, it had absolutely nothing to do with his performance in the previous class. Anyway, I digress - really just wondering if it is a show worth visiting in comparison to other major UK internationals?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I went on Friday and loved it!
Didn't go for the shopping, which did seem quite small. The bistro/bar was very nice next to the warm-up arena, we didn't eat there but others said the food was lovely, but had a drink watching the warm-up. Actual performance was fab, great atmosphere, we will definitely be going back as its so much closer than HOYS or Olympia.

I can see it being a show that will grow year after year, plus I have been to Bolesworth and enjoyed that too. It would be nice if it could grow and cover more disciplines as I like the showing and dressage of the other events too.

x x

Pippity

Visit site
I went on Friday afternoon and would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been for Antello Z's accident. Among the fall-out from that, two or three other programme items were cancelled. Understandable to keep the show on schedule for the evening session, but still disappointing. The atmosphere wasn't great, whether because the stadium was only half-full for that session, or because of Antello Z.

The shopping was small, as others have said, and the flow of traffic through it wasn't very well organised, with a huge traffic jam next to the warm-up arena, which was also the main entrance to the shopping. The few proper horsey shops with interesting stuff to poke around were absolutely crammed, while the fortune teller (?) and cupcake stall were empty.

I did like the warm-up arena being on view to the public. It was fascinating watching the variety of behaviours among the horses being trotted up!

Despite my criticisms, I think it's got potential to grow into something very good, and I really hope it does. Any big event like this is going to have some kinks to iron out that they're only going to learn about by doing it.

Like AlexHyde, I hope it expands to cover more disciplines. I'd much rather have a showing class or something than some rather lacklustre 'trick' riding.

I'm definitely planning on going next year.

picolenicole

Visit site
Me and my other half went on Sunday (He won the tickets at your horse live) so it was really good for us! As Pippity said there are a few kinks, such as the type of shopping (I couldn't understand why a fortune teller was there!) and the traffic at the warm up was bad, the shopping bit was small although this was a good thing as it stopped me spending too much :)

The show jumping was fab (first time other half has seen a show like this) the Shetland pony derby was brill, and had my other half joining in and betting on which would win. The trick riding was more of a look what I have trained my horse to do mixed with dressage, there were no stunts or real tricks apart from bowing, laying down and sitting down. The horsemen were a little boring, three men jumping three jumps, ok they where really high but didn't really give me the wow factor.

I'm not sure if I would go again, as the price of the tickets for what was there was a bit expensive. I think we'll look see what next years programme is before we book tickets.

Colivet

Visit site
Very sad for Cameron on the first day and not surprised it dampened the atmosphere in general. Sounds like it could be a good show for the future. For me, the shopping wouldn't need to be a major factor as it would stop me spending more money! I liked the podium presentations - no restless horses getting wound up by the music, but still a good atmosphere with a bit of sparkle and the riders adding their own sense of occasion with bubbly showers. The calibre of riders/horses the show attracted and the course building made for good jump off finishes to the classes. I also like that there was viewing access to the warm up - one of the most interesting places to be at a show. Thanks for the insights.

lar

Visit site
More staff in the champagne bar!! (although I know they were struggling to get people to work). Overall I really enjoyed it - the classes and changeovers seemed to run very smoothly and even up in the gods the viewing was excellent. It's also great for me personally to have a big winter show a quick train ride away.

I did wonder about access to and from the shopping area and the shopping area itself - given that there was only one real route in and out and it was pretty busy even with the arena itself only half full. If it had sold out I think it could have got quite unpleasant.

debbielinder

Visit site
I went on Sunday and I thought it was brilliant. Considering it was all organised fairly quickly. I know the organisers had trouble getting the trade stands there so close to Olympia but from the feedback they've had it looks like they will have a lot more next year. I think it will grow year on year attracting more riders more spectators and more trade stands. Everything ran so smoothly and the attention to detail was amazing. I know a lot of the volunteers that worked over the weekend and God did they work hard but they loved it. The whole event made me proud to be from Liverpool. And an honourery mention goes to Geoff billington who made the show I went with my non horsey friend and he had her in stitches. Brilliant

oldjumper

Visit site
We went Sunday afternoon and thought it best event we've ever attended - beat Olympia/HoY. Great atmosphere, very helpful staff, excellent jumping, good quality refreshments, very professional presentation and entertainment. Being able to view the warm up and meet riders was fantastic. I guess if shopping is your thing, it might seem a bit limited but for show jumping fans, it was brilliant. Planning to take a group there next year!