Anyone been to Melton Mowbray sales?

Boxers

Visit site
I once went to Cambridge horse sales about 20 years ago with a woman who was a friend of a friend and a dealer. We had an interesting time and she bought 2 ponies there. She was a tough cookie - but I was upset by the condition of some of the ponies and the way they were shoved and pushed around.

Anyway - this saturday the sales are on at Melton Mowbray and I would like to go and just have a look around. I would like to take my kids, age 12 and 9.

Has anyone been? Am I going to be upset and want to buy everything that looks a bit sad?

I am not going with a view to buying anything - just to have a look see.

filly190

Visit site
I went once in the summer I saw which was shocking was a yearling pony with shoes on it!

I saw one bad case, of a lovely grey mare tied to a horse box, not in the sale, she was covered in cuts which looked like she had fallen down. Gypsey kids of about 10 years old were trying to sell her.

There was'nt many horses there to be honest, a few cobs, a couple of hunter types and the rest were foals. What did surprise me was they were all fetching good money.

I saw a huge grey cob with sore eyes and sore pink face, he was really ugly and my heart went out to him. I felt so sorry for him because he looked so unloved that I watched his sale with interest and he made full money, which I found surprising.

There was quite a few well known dealers and a riding school lady seemed to be buying a lot.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Melton can be hit and miss, like any sale there will be something that tugs at your heartstrings. gypsy type cobs make good money and occasionally get dealers who take part ex horses having a clear out and sending them to Melton.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Haven't been to Melton sales in a few years but from what i can remember it wasn't too bad, as Mrs T says it can be a bit hit & miss!!

piaffe

Visit site
We have a lorry load going; not me i must add, but YO and conacts. Her cob is going and apparebtly there are 2 very very nice Freisans that, so im told, would be perfect for me, ad would i like to go and see them!
crazy.gif
Don't even tempt me.

Not been though, dont think i could trust myself.
blush.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
It's not too bad, I've only had my heartsrtrings tugged a couple of times. Generally the conditions are good.
I saw the grey cob with the sore face, and have also seen a few beauties. Prices wise, I saw a lovely revel sec a go through for next to nothing (I hadnt any cash on me
mad.gif
) and a few right ugly ones fetch top money. Alot of gypsies and dealers there.

KatB

Visit site
I almost brought 2 last time went, one little coloured 3yr old who couldnt stand up on the concrete as kept trying to spin round, and falling down, and a little bay gelding who was just very attractive.
The conditions arent bad, alot of "rough" types, but nothing horrendous, alot are just very interesting to watch.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I live nearby and it's not bad at all, you may see the odd sad case, but nothing compared to nearby'ish' Derby sales. I went back in summer and could've easily filled my yard! I bet there will be some nice baby's there. in fact I might go myself now you've mentioned it!