Anyone bought a rambo heavyweight turnout this winter?

BlackRider

Visit site
I don't know if I'm exceptionally unlucky! I bought a heavyweight supreme for Apache for Christmas, and it leaked around the tail flap.

Rideaway where great and swapped it, been using the replacement, today its rained, and leaked in exactly the same place! Again, rideaway have offered a replacement - I sent pics showing the leakiness..

I've always been a big advocate of rambo rugs, and have my 10 year old one is still going strong, but given my recent experience, I'm reluctant to have another supreme, and wondered if their quality was diminishing?

So would be interested to hear if anyone else has bought one recently, and if its been ok?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
That was very good service to replace those rugs stright out as I deal with horseware and all rugs must go back for inspection due to the amount of rugs they get back that are not faulty and can not sell again due to being used, rugs come back, but the rug isn't leaking but the horse is sweating instead which is the main one. ( not saying that's your problem op as its the tail area only but that's a common problem to get rugs back) could the rain be blowing underneath? Would be interested to see pics :)

I really rate Rambo and always will, the only problem they have had lately was faulty front clips which they worked hard to sort as even then it was only a few rugs not a major problem.

Archangel

Visit site
My old Rambos are great but I also bought a new one and it was such poor quality - it is now used as a spare in Spring and Autumn and the old rugs are used in the worst part of the winter. I will not buy one again.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I have bought two Supremes in the last year and both have been fine. It seems strange that you would have two with the same problem. Like thatsmygirl asked could it be blowing in under the back of the rug if it has been windy?

BlackRider

Visit site
Thanks - it definitely not blowing under, I've got pictures that show the leaking around the seam, taken from the inside of the rug, and also of the wet patches on my horse.

Rideaway where excellent, and agreed from the photos that there was a problem with the rug.

marmalade76

Visit site
They are definitely not as good as they used to be. I bought a couple in 2000 which were/are fab, still in use now. I bought a Duo 2 or three years ago and it's not a patch. The fit/cut is less generous, the outer material seems thinner and less hardwearing, the lining is most definitely thinner and splits all around the stitching (yes, on my three year old rug but no splitting on my 16 year old rugs). The old ones also have a smell to them that the new one has never had. I don't like the leg arches (I think they make for a draughty rug) and the third surcingle, why?? They have also become ridiculously expensive, if I hadn't got the Duo at a good price in a sale I would have sent it back.

whiteflower

Visit site
ive always brought rambos or occassionally amigo rugs. they have lasted for years ive got one that is 20 years old and still going strong, however having brought 3 amigos this year, one was a 60g 600d turnout that leaked all down the side seams and the others were 2 100g 1000d turnouts, both waterproof but having brought the same size rugs ive brought for the last 8 years, both were tight and lacking depth and really needed the next size up. i cant believe 2 different middle aged horses have grown another rug size just this year so can only conclude they have changed the cut and or they are smaller. i was going to get a couple of new rambo turnouts for my youngster this year but my experience with the amigos has put me off.
horseware has always been my go to rug company as even their cheaper ranges were good quality, a couple of rugs/sheets ive brought have said 'made in x for horseware ireland' so maybe its the outsourcing thats changed things or maybe ive just been unlucky

paddy555

Visit site
I bought a wug 200g 3 years ago. This is it's third winter and it had done well, light when wet and easy to dry, or at least it was.
2 nights ago it got VERY wet. Brought it in to dry in front of the stove as usual. Hung it from the back D's By evening it was still dripping on the floor although the top part was dry. I found the front part nearest to the floor was a balloon of water on each side. Somehow it had filled up with water. I had to put a very tiny cut in the lining in each side to let the water pour out into a bowl.

Hmm!

marmalade76

Visit site
I bought four Amigos back when they first came out and was really impressed, they were good rugs that lasted well for the money. I would say that the Rambos of today are similar to the Amigos as they were back then but are more than three times the price. Rambo are no loner good value for money IMO and I doubt I will buy another. I've no idea what Amigos are like now, quality, price, etc, 'cause I haven't bought one for years.

Archangel

Visit site
I found the front part nearest to the floor was a balloon of water on each side. Somehow it had filled up with water. I had to put a very tiny cut in the lining in each side to let the water pour out into a bowl.

Hmm!

That was exactly what happened to my rug. I couldn't believe it - my poor mare was walking around with a rug full of water.

hunteress

Visit site
I don't use Rambo anymore i use mark todd or masta but you have to go down a size and also highly recommend premier equine the necks are great and are deep and have a long tail flap with a tag that your horses tail go's through but you also have to go down a size they have a really good sale on at the moment xx

Pc2003

Visit site
I was going to ask something similar. I bought an amigo pony turnout as an Xmas present for my mum. The pony has worn it 3 times. I went to put it on this am and the whole rug has come away from the neck seam. The whole way along?! It's like the stitching has come away.
Annoyed as they are quite expensive now compared to what they used to be. Can I contact horse wear or do I need to go back to retailer?

BlackRider

Visit site
I was going to ask something similar. I bought an amigo pony turnout as an Xmas present for my mum. The pony has worn it 3 times. I went to put it on this am and the whole rug has come away from the neck seam. The whole way along?! It's like the stitching has come away.
Annoyed as they are quite expensive now compared to what they used to be. Can I contact horse wear or do I need to go back to retailer?
I went back to the retailer in the first instance, but if you don't get any joy, I'd contact directly.