Anyone bought Olympic Tickets yet?

Dunlin

Visit site
With anticipation I registered on the 2012 site this morning with a view to buying myself 2 tickets for the 2012 Eventing, hopefully all 3 days.

Once I realised I would need to re-mortgage the house for that I looked at just the X-Country. 2 tickets (only) are £116 :(

If I add in the accommodation, parking costs, petrol etc I'm looking at £500 for a day out! A quick visit to Expedia tells me I can trot off to Antigua for 5 nights for that price (for 2 people, self catering).

Therefore it is with regret that I definately cannot justify that much to go and see it.

It's £56 for 2 adults to get in at Badminton including the car pass for X-Country day. Prices for Burghley aren't up yet but should be similar.

Is anyone on here actually going to buy tickets for the Equine events?

I'll have to make do watching the Eventing on the TV in my self catering chalet in Antigua :D

bexcy-bee

Visit site
We have [=

Kind of thought, its a once in a lifetime thing, so, jumped on board!

going to see (hopefully!!) eventing (just the XC though), the SJing, I think its the medal one? as well as athletics, canoe slalom and football final!

only came to £512 for 3 to see equestrian events and canoe, and 2 to see athletics and football!! Pretty good I thought...

bexcy-bee x

Princess P

Visit site
I think I'm going to apply for 3x XC tickets for me, hubby, and father in law. They are expensive at £55 each but it is a great chance to experience the Olympics in our own country and see the world's best so I'm going to go for it.

I'm in Cambridge so I'm hoping the train companies will have some good deals on so won't have to fork out for accommodation.

I do agree they're a rip off though, if I remember rightly some of the cheapest sj tickets are £65! No thanks, I'll watch it on the telly!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I am with Dunlin here - I thought the tickets were shockingly expensive plus you have the cost to get to the venue!! Cheaper to see a west end show at full price, so I have decided to stick with watching on TV. I do reckon there will remain lots unsold.

Dunlin

Visit site
I definately agree with the sentiment that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, which is why I expected them to be a bit on the pricey side, but I just cannot justify the cost when I know I will have more fun going to Badminton or Burghley knowing that I have not been ripped off.

I was hoping that some cheap last minute tickets may come up on eBay or something but having read the rules you can't do it as they are named and you need proof of I.D to go with your tickets. If you can't go then you have to tell the website who will cancel your tickets and then re-issue them at full price to people on a waiting list.

I doubt there will be a waiting list for X-Country though.

jsr

Visit site
Afraid I'll be watching from my sofa, even with a place to sleep (brothers house is about 10mins from the venue!!) I cannot afford the prices. I was very angry when I saw them, it's supposed to be for the 'people' but apparently as with everything in this country what they mean is it's for the 'people that can afford it'. Minimum wage need not apply. :mad:

BBH

Visit site
I was all for going but now the time's here the thought of jostling with the crowds to get in and out and the crush, the travel chaos etc etc puts relaxing in an armchair in front of the telly into perspective, especially if that armchair is in the Bahamas LOL.

A friend is poss getting a mini bus to go which if we're dropped off door to door is fine.

Yours undecidedly

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
We have until 26th April to get tickets, and early buyers don’t get preferential treatment, so there's no panic to get them instantly.

I agree it's very expensive, but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'd like to be able to have the memory and say I was there, so I will be buying tickets to see one event only, although I haven't decided which yet.

One of the reasons I haven't decided what I'll be buying tickets for is because the tickets are so expensive a lot of people from my yard, and friends who I would have liked to gone along with aren't going at all.

BBH

Visit site
Does anyone know how they make sure you don't end up with tickets for different events at the same time or day ?

ie if you want jumping and dressage you could end up getting an allocation that clashes ?

sakura

Visit site
I would absolutely love to see it in person, just being there would be incredible, but realistically I think it'll cost far too much!

I'll probably just end up watching it on TV, which is a shame but there's nothing I can do about that!

I still have badminton to enjoy though, it's not the olympics but it's a good day out!

Dunlin

Visit site
I would not like to use public transport for the Olympics, I imagine it's going to be a nightmare and I hate crowds with a passion.

It looks like cycling fans get a good deal, you can stand on the route taken for free! Perhaps I'll go and watch that just to say "I went to the London Olympics" ;)

The one other thing I wouldn't mind watching is one of the cheapest tickets, which is Rhythmic Gymnastics, qualifiers are £20 for a D class ticket which is "if there's a seat left un-reserved it's yours, if not, go stand somewhere".

BBH - on the ticket application page you don't simply apply for a Jumping ticket, you can apply for allocated times and days so technically you shouldn't have clashed events. But if the tickets are fully booked then it goes to a ballot, if you get through that and offered something, if it clashes with something else then you just have to simply turn it down.

ThePony

Visit site
Haven't applied yet but will do. They are pricy, but there is just one olympics, and it won't be back in the uk in my lifetime so I am happy that for a once in a lifetime event I will have to save to go to experience it!
Will be applying for individual dressage, some sj, and the opening and closing ceremonies. I'm in the midlands so hopefully will be able to do it in a day trip on the train.
I can't wait, it will be amazing to have the absolute top competing here, wow!

Darknessfalls

New User
Visit site
It wouldnt surprise me if ticket touts buy the tickets up they will end up on ebay at silly prices Dont buy they will come down in price nearer the time.It happens all the time

Elbie

Visit site
I'm applying for XC! Yes they are expensive but like others have said, it is a once in a lifetime thing. Plus, suppose what makes it easier is I only have to travel from north Essex (with a train season ticket to London - for what it costs me I'm using it as much as I can!). Thought that £55 and minimal transport costs for me equate to how much I spend going to Burghley, plus parking there, plus petrol - it's not going to be much difference.

Really wanted to see the grand prix freestyle dressage final thing but as the cheapest tickets are £65 (or there abouts) thought i'd that a miss. Chances are the seats will be really rubbish!

Elbie

Visit site
It wouldnt surprise me if ticket touts buy the tickets up they will end up on ebay at silly prices Dont buy they will come down in price nearer the time.It happens all the time

Apparently they are really heavily policing it and you can only buy tickets from the Olympic site. Anyone trying to sell them elsewhere will be fined (or something) and Olympic site tells people you should only buy from them

Dunlin

Visit site
^^^ Tickets come with your name on them and you need to supply I.D with your tickets to get in which puts pay to them being on eBay. Touts can be fined up to £20,000 so I doubt it will happen.

Also, with regards to prices coming down, on the website it says that ticket prices will not alter and they will be offered at full price until the last day.

Could change though, who knows.

Tempi

Visit site
Everyone keeps going on about the prices, but its a once in a lifetime opportunity to be alive when the Olympics are being hosted in your country, its not a run of the mill yearly event like Badders and Gatcombe.

Ive applied for 2 tickets for the Dressage Freestyle Individual final, i applied for the cheapest which were £65 which i still think is pretty good value. Ive also applied for 2 tickets for the Athletics for mens 100m final day (more for my OH than me). You dont actually pay anything unless you get through the ballot then they notify you if you have been sucessful and then they give you a date when they take the money from your account - which is end of May/June time.

Flicker

Visit site
Some of the tickets are only £20. Yes, they are not for the main events, but you will still get the atmosphere and you will see some top riders etc. I'm looking at the dressage - I live in the middle of nowhere and just having the opportunity to see the opening days will be amazing and a once in a lifetime experience.

But yes, my eyes did water at some of the top prices!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I am really lucky as I live in south Essex and work in London, so I already have a season ticket that takes me through Stratford to Liverpool St - so thats accomodation and travel sorted :)

I am definately going to be applying for tickets for the XC and possibly for the £20 ones for either SJ or dressage.

I know it isn't cheap but for many of us it really is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

What I am not looking forward is the commuting to and from work as my route goes through Stratford - now that could be fun :eek:

Sessle

Visit site
Nope! I thought about it but I can't afford it, and would rather spend the money on my horse and going to some local competitions anyway! If I was richer I would though! So I'll be watching it from home.....which is probably better as I'd only get angry with all the busy-ness and the crowding!!! Wish you all luck in getting tickets though! :)

Nickles1973

Visit site
I'm applying for tickets to the X country for me, my future Sil, my Mum and my Daughter. My Mum qualifies for a senior ticket which is £16 and my Daughter pays her age which will be £12 and so for all 4 £138. Roughly £35 each so I don't think thats bad for a once in a lifetime event. My parents live in Essex on the Liverpool street line so travel hopefully won't be too bad. I too feel that some of the ticket prices are way over the top though. Looking for tickets for my OH and Sons to also go and enjoy the experience was a nightmare as many of the athletics events and cycling ect do not have the pay your age option for children and I do object to paying £50 plus for a 7 year old's ticket. I opted to try to get tickets to the mens footie at wembly. (Luckily my lads love their football lol) Will be just my luck though that I won't get allocated the eventing tickets but I'll get 5 tickets to the Footie lol!

Silmarillion

Visit site
I really want to go to the GP freestyle dressage but really don't think I can justify £65 each for myself and my mum. It wouldn't be too bad if I could put it on a credit card and pay it off by the time it comes around, but I don't have the right card :mad: It's stupid.

And, what happens if I apply for something which happens to be very popular and get "balloted out"? I don't suppose there's a second choice?!

I think it'll be £20 team dressage tickets for me and my mum. I've GOT to go, but I just can't afford to go to the event I really want to see. I can see they need to cover costs, but I still think it's wrong to out-price people quite so much.

teapot

Visit site
Did it very very early this morning for Eventing xc and show jumping :D

Oh and the tickets include a London travelcard so travel costs won't be as high as first thought. With regards to cost, Olympia tickets are exactly the same cost, if not more and the Olympics is a much bigger event.

Last edited:

cazrider

Visit site
I've applied for two tickets for the eventing XC for OH and me. We live in Essex so it's not too bad for the travel. It is likely to be a once and once only chance so we thought we'd go for it.

Maisy

Visit site
I have applied to help with the Equestrian events, so have my fingers crossed I will see something live!!

0ldmare

Visit site
I've just booked tickets (all cheapie tickets) for show jumping, gymnastics and athletics :)

My brother, sister in law and 2 nieces are planning on flying over from america for it so I've applied for lots of tickets. The worst nightmare would be if I only got a couple of tickets for each event....fingers crossed, can't wait :)