Anyone built a field shelter on skids?

Coblover63

Visit site
My husband is pretty good at DIY and has offered to build me a field shelter instead of us buying one. It will be properly constructed and on skids and lined with kick boards etc. I just wondered if anyone else has built one and what the costs worked out to be, compared to an average four figure sum for a 12x12 manufactured. Thanks.

meleeka

Visit site
We’ve just built a small one for my Shetland, 8 x 8 for the cost of around £350. We used feather edge fencing boards and it’s perfectly sturdy enough for him. It took a couple of full days to build.

Squirily

Visit site
My other half and I built our field shelter, 12x12 shelter with adjoining 12x6 store room. We used feather board, fully lined the shelter and store and used box profile roofing, we managed to scrounge some metal skids from a friends old demolished shelter. Materials did cost in the region of £950 all in with screws, bolts, gate, latches, roof, guttering etc. I didnt scrimp and used some hefty uprights as I've got a very bargy cob and was paranoid about it collapsing on him if he had a good scratch. We made it in sections and assembled it on site with a few people helping. It is solid and despite it being on skids I doubt we will ever be able to move it!