Anyone clip all year around?

MiCsarah

Visit site
My boy never has the thinnest of summer coats and is quite a sweaty boy. So I'm thinking of clipping through the summer this year as were going to be doing quite alot. Anybody else do this?

tiga71

Visit site
I do. Izzy is a very hot horse and sweats up a lot when working. He is so much happier clipped out. I clip him once a month or so in the winter and then about every 6 weeks in the summer - depending on how hot he is getting really.

He does a lot of work and I think he would find endurance and the long hacks we do hard if he wasn't clipped.

Here he is with his clip. You can see his pink skin - so he has a UV rug on in the field which helps with the flies as well.

IMG_0969.jpg

MiCsarah

Visit site
Never thought of a UV rug as was also worried about my boys pink skin. Even though he will be in during the day. Thanks for the reply

tiga71

Visit site
Izzy is also in during the day, so doesn't always need it on when he is on summer turn out. But they are still out in the day and in at night now and this spell of hot weather means he needs it on in the day.

The premier equine UV rug is good.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I do I drive a Clydesdale / welsh section d and there is no way he would cope if I did not clip him ( he's due for clipping this am ) i wish I did not but he is going to to do horse driving trials so the lot including feathers comes off last summer I was not completing and we got away with a chaser clip.
He's roan and has strong skin except on his muzzle so I don't have to worry about his skin.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I used to clip my Welsh Cob all year round, he was a very hot sweaty type of horse and really struggled in the summer otherwise (and I showed him so a sweaty coat didnt look nice). I clip my 2 retired veteran ponies now (having left their coats on all winter), as they both dont lose their winter coats well anymore so boil over the summer otherwise.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Yes, I clip the cob all year round but as he has pink skin he wears the Kool Coat Airstream even on a cloudy day as he burns easily when freshly clipped.