Anyone doing Wimbledon Sponsored Ride in Oct?

katelarge

Visit site
Ooooh oooh oooh!

I used to be a member of Wimbledon Village Stables!! I actually stewarded this ride a few years back, I handed out sherry and mince pies to owners and horses! If you call the yard and ask for more info they will tell you about it but the year I did it I think we went all round Richmond Deer Park, it was amazing. They also did a few prizes for turnout and stuff. And I drank loads of sherry quite secretively!

Parkranger

Visit site
Yeah I think this is the Richmond Park ride which is the one I really really wanted to do.....sounds like a good ride so I've emailed for more details.....sherry and mincepies....mmmmmmmmmm ;-)

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
I used to ride at Wimbledon Stable's as well for quite a few years. I think I might take my lad along to this - do you know how fast the ride usually is? He is an ex racehorse so I don't want to take him along to something where everyone is flying along or we may never stop
smirk.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
I was looking at Hampton too - may do both of them!

I'm not sure how fast Wimbledon one is, never done it. Know what you mean about the speed though - think it's a case of sucking it and see.....make sure you wear padded jods to help with the jogging! haa haa

katelarge

Visit site
People just do it at their own pace. Some people want to go fast and jump, others team up and just potter along. I think the pottering was fairly prevalent. There were all kinds of people the year I was there: there was a very famous ex-racehorse (can't remember which one now,) and a disabled rider on a Clydesdale(!) so there were all sorts of people. If you want to take it slowly but are nervous on your own then just attach yourself to some people who are going slowly, the WVS lot for certain are a very friendly bunch and if you contact the yard they might be able to put you in touch with local riders who are going.

SCostello, when were you there? I was there from about 2000 to 2002, had a ball and only left as I was going into a horse share!

katelarge

Visit site
BTW there was fancy dress too the year I went, there were some brilliant costumes, watching some slightly tipsy women dressed as witches bounding across the common cackling was a sight I'll never forget! Great fun.