Anyone done NPTC certificate of competence. ( Transporting Horses)

foxhunter2000

Visit site
I am doing the above assessment on thurs, just wondered if anyone else had done it yet and what is involved, i dont understand the website.

irishdraught

Visit site
Yes - I did the over 8 hours assessment which includes taking a horse for a drive out.

The whole thing took about 2 hrs. I had to answer a load of questions, including contingency planning, documentation and common sense stuff like how to tell a horse is stressed and what to do.

Then we loaded up a horse and took it for a drive out so my driving could be assessed.

I thought the website explained it okay and it was what I expected when I did it. I was told after doing it all that I had passed. I got a receipt to say that until my proper card came through the post.

lizzieb

Visit site
My Mum and Dad did it on Friday. They did they short distance one. Mum thought it was obvious which were correct answers but she thinks my very non-horsey Dad may have failed the horse bit! Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck.

irishdraught

Visit site
Just questions & answers then then driving. If you do the short distance one, there is no driving and they test can be done on a computer.

As long as you are prepared and don't try to 'blag' it, you will be fine. Everything you need to know is on the website.

ajf

Visit site
Everyone here said it was common sense really and just read through the booklet your given and you'll be fine. Doing mine next month sometime too!!!

TableDancer

Visit site
I've got a question about this, too. I transport horses NOT as part of a business ie not a commercial yard, and my lorry is 7.5T. I do go long distances including from time to time abroad. My understanding is that I DON'T need to take this test. Is this right?
confused.gif

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I'd thought from reading previous reports that I didnt need to do it - I work for a private breeder and drive her ponies to shows and back in a 7.5T lorry. but recent weeks it seems that becuase this may involve long distances, eg if we go to Kent or Malvern for example, then I would need to do it as I am not the owner of the ponies or the lorry????

Thistle

Visit site
Can I ask why all you above are taking the test, like the 2 above I believe I do not have to do it, I often travel 2 - 3 hours plus return on same day, family horses, BE not for profit.

sarah23

Visit site
I am taking mine because i have started to drive for a transport firm. Thistle as far as i was told because i did ask because of my own horses, if they are your own you are OK and you are allowed to carry 2 horses that are your own before you have to worry about extra grooms and all that stuff, but if you take your horse and someone else's the other horse must have a groom but you do not need to take the test.

ajf

Visit site
As we have liveries on the farm we sometimes take them with us or we go with them, but as deemed part of the business we all have to take it. Just another thing to add to a CV full of random rubbish!!!
Got given booklets by the guys organising it. They came out to the house to determine the best time/date for us all and gave us some booklets about it all!! Sorry thats not much help.

irishdraught

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sorry to be a bit dim but what is the web site i should be looking at or do you have the web address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Website is www.nptc.org.uk

I have taken mine as I have started up in horse transport.

Anyone who transports animals in connection with an economic activity has to be qualified. In the UK, this is considered to be any transport of animals undertaken as part of a business or commercial activity, which aims at receiving financial gain, whether direct or indirect, for any person or company involved with the transport.

A bit of a mouthful but sums up when one is needed.

Applies to journeys over 65km (approx 40 miles) and upto 8 hrs.

Welsh_D

New User
Visit site
Hi All :) Do you have to take the short journeys test before the long? Or can you just go straight in for the long distance? Also are there practice tests anywhere on the web please?

Kind Regards,
Carl