Anyone else’s horse moulting?

wattamus

Visit site
All three of mine are shedding!
Two have cushing’s so I’m never surprised when their coats do something funny, but my 10 year old is also shedding like mad!
Didn’t think the temp had dropped that much, theyre in on a night and have managed to avoid most rain (mostly by good luck, I don’t keep them in on rainy days!)
Anyone else in this position or are mine just odd? ....... wouldn’t surprise me if it was the latter.......

teddypops

Visit site
All three of mine are shedding!
Two have cushing’s so I’m never surprised when their coats do something funny, but my 10 year old is also shedding like mad!
Didn’t think the temp had dropped that much, theyre in on a night and have managed to avoid most rain (mostly by good luck, I don’t keep them in on rainy days!)
Anyone else in this position or are mine just odd? ....... wouldn’t surprise me if it was the latter.......
It’s because the daylight hours are decreasing. All my ponies have started to lose their summer coats.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes, the minis finished shedding winter coat end of June, started shedding summer coats early August! They are both now cheerfully rubbing bums on anything to help it out....
B Fuzzy just thickening up a bit but the last few nights it's been down to 9/10 here overnight.

Surbie

Visit site
Yup, has been shedding AND fuzzing up for a few weeks. I am charging my clippers...

Isn't it to do with daylight hours rather than temperature?

Jinx94

Visit site
Yep. And the bay area decreases with every coat change :rolleyes:

Muggins here decided in would be smart to ride bareback in black breeches and then stop off at the supermarket on the way home. Not surprised I got a few funny looks :oops:

holeymoley

Visit site
Yes mine has for about a month now. He got a bib clip last weekend as it was scorching and he had a yak coat- this week he’s gone mega fluffy at the ears and the clips almost grown in! Nuts lol

J&S

Visit site
Little bay companion pony is getting a real "blackberry" coat, coloured veteran is shedding her short white hairs like mad. The nights are really drawing in here in the South West and also get quite chilly. It is the length of the daylight hours that dictates the coat change though, not the temperature.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is the length of the daylight hours that dictates the coat change though, not the temperature.

If only owners realised this. So many pile rugs on thinking they control coat growth by boiling the poor horse.

If you want to delay the coat change simply leave the light on in the stable at night until midnight. Same applies to getting mares cycling early. Temperature has nothing to do with coat changes. It is daylight hours.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes the cob started a couple of weeks ago. He coat is thickening up, she is very, very dark brown. I felt very sorry for her last weekend in the heat, although she wasn't as hot and sweaty as I expected.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My two, both cobs, are shedding at the moment.

Am getting used to slurping a coffee in the yard and ingesting more white hair from my little coloured beastie, than coffee!

Hate it when they lose their summer coats, it really does bring home the fact that winter with all its muddy fields, dark evenings and horrid wet damp weather, isn't so far away now.