Anyone else feel guilty for not riding much in the winter?

HappyNeds

Visit site
Now we are into winter we only have the opportunity to ride at the weekends, it's just too dark after work in the week.

But there always seems to be something else going on at the weekend also, for example in-laws, nieces & nephews visiting today, so no riding, but hopefully we will hack out tomorrow.

They are chunky native cobs (one gypsy vanner and one Welsh D), and they live out 24/7.

Basically they are getting one hack a week at the moment. In the winter when it's cold and miserable sometimes it feels like extra hard work to hack out. I end up feeling guilty for not riding them more, although my OH says he is sure they don't mind not being ridden! He's probably right, but I still feel guilty, is it just me?

Django Pony

Visit site
No, I feel guilty too! I ride on both of my 2 days off, but I leave for work at 7.45 every morning, and when I get back its too dark to ride :( I'm hopefully going to get one of my friends to ride him for me a couple of times a week though. I'm sure Jasper doesn't mind the time off tbh!

debsg

Visit site
I used to, but not any more :D
I have two mares, one a chunky cob, the other TB, and I work nights to support them. I have to sleep for part of the day, so mine only get ridden at weekends atm. They are living out and having a wonderful time being hairy, filthy, pretend feral horses with their mates. I will start getting them fit in Feb, it doesn't bother them in the slightest having time out.

celia

Visit site
Nope, I don't. Our three do very little over winter. They live out and always have access to grass and/or hay. If we get nice weather they go for the odd hack but other than that they're just left to be horses. They're pretty happy beasts, I reckon! :)

HappyNeds

Visit site
I'm glad it's not just me then! We don't have a school or anywhere in the field to ride, so it's all hacking out (which we love when it's daylight), but it means in the winter riding is strictly limited to weekends only.

I suppose the only thing I wonder is if it does them any harm in any way, or is it just a bit harder in the spring to remind them of their schooling and their ridden manners?

Supertrooper

Visit site
Yes and no. I can't ride in week now it's dark and I am sometimes pushed to ride at the weekend. He's had his shoes off so I can only ride in field anyway.

Is he bothered, no! Only fussed about where his next lot of food is arriving ;-)

HappyNeds

Visit site
I didn't see the other replies before I wrote my last post. Perhaps I should just chill out and let them enjoy chillin' out also. They are currently both very hairy and very muddy! They love each others company, and are always 'into' something, poking around in the hedges, and the field is an interesting shape so they always have something to do.

We spend time with them twice a day, morning and evening (although in the evening with a head-torch!), to poo-pick and give them a cuddle. Perhaps I need to relax, I still feel inexperienced as a horse owner, and do spend quite a bit of time either worrying I'm doing things right, or reading on here to see what advice everyone else has!

debsg

Visit site
We all worry about our horses xx I've been around horses all my life, but I still worry endlessly about daft things (mine are out 24/7 for their first winter, as yet unrugged! I spend hours at work looking out of the window, worrying that they're cold!! They are both fat and wooly so this is unlikely. I still worry tho' ;)

White socks

Visit site
I used to but now over the years I have accepted only riding once or twice a week. Nothing we can do about it just think it won't be for long :).

HappyNeds

Visit site
We all worry about our horses xx I've been around horses all my life, but I still worry endlessly about daft things (mine are out 24/7 for their first winter, as yet unrugged! I spend hours at work looking out of the window, worrying that they're cold!! They are both fat and wooly so this is unlikely. I still worry tho' ;)

Thanks debsg, it's not just me then! I've been the very proud mummy of our 2 boys for a while, we've had our Welsh D for nearly 2 years, but I do worry so much. I'm either worrying they are too cold (although mine are also fat and wooly) or I'm worrying they are too fat! I need to put some photos on here at some point so you can all reassure me that they aren't too fat (I hope!). Although when the vet came out to give jabs a while back he said they looked great, so hopefully that's something. But I'm still worrying away!! Thanks everyone xxx

Supertrooper

Visit site
Horses = worry ;-) I've been known to drive up to yard at four in the morning, worrying myself sick about them being out in howling gales. Do you know where they were -> right in the middle of the field eating!!!

HappyNeds

Visit site
Horses = worry ;-) I've been known to drive up to yard at four in the morning, worrying myself sick about them being out in howling gales. Do you know where they were -> right in the middle of the field eating!!!

Your post made me laugh - this really could be me! I think the problem is because the field is not near where we live, once I start to think 'they might be in trouble' then the worry just feeds itself and the only way to settle the worry is to drive to the field and check them. And just as you say Supertrooper, as I round the corner in the car, they are always HAPPILY MUNCHING in their field, and look vaguely surprised to see me at some random hour! :D:D:D:D

Tonty Tont

Visit site
I do :(

Tont won't hack alone though, so I feel stupid spending over 30 minutes grooming and tacking up just so I can hack him 10 minutes down the road with my mum walking. And even then it's all stressful as he hates being on his own, so the majority of the ride is him spinning, bucking and bolting :(

I'll just stick to loose jumping him in the field, it's much more fun :D