Anyone else getting foals soon

AMW

Visit site
We have 3 coming to us in the next few weeks, 2 fillies & a colt :)
Cant wait, love getting them as babies and bringing them on and seeing how they turn out :)
Anyone else had the long wait between deposit & delivery ?

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Mine is coming the 19 October. I'm over the moon! She's equine, but not a horse...

DSC_1378-1.jpg

Last edited:

foxy1

Visit site
Me!! Although owned by my sister, he is coming to live with my yearlings and I will be looking after him :)
Rutland H20: I want one of those!!!!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
We are waiting for our new miniature who was born in June so won't be having her for a month or two yet. We have bought her as a surprise for my MIL as my miniature mare had a still birth in April and my MIL was to have that foal. This new one is the granddaughter of mine. Can't wait to see MIL reaction! Not even sure what colour she is going to be as mum is a coloured and dad a palamino, grandma is a liver chestnut and lst time I saw foaly she was champaigne coloured. Any ideas what colour she may turn out be?

amy_b

Visit site
We are waiting for our new miniature who was born in June so won't be having her for a month or two yet. We have bought her as a surprise for my MIL as my miniature mare had a still birth in April and my MIL was to have that foal. This new one is the granddaughter of mine. Can't wait to see MIL reaction! Not even sure what colour she is going to be as mum is a coloured and dad a palamino, grandma is a liver chestnut and lst time I saw foaly she was champaigne coloured. Any ideas what colour she may turn out be?

what colour coloured? Sounds palomino...

SpottyTB

Visit site
Yesss :D my boy's coming in about 5/6 weeks time :D. SO excited :) - what's everyone getting? DETAIL'S/PHOTO'S needed :D

My chap is dutch warmblood x polish warmblood, he'll be just under 6 months when we get him and he should reach around 16-16.2 hopefully :) here's a pic i took of him when he was 3 and a half months old.. :D

2.jpg

3.jpg

He's called Hugo :)

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Yup, she's a Livre A (pure, registered) Anesse du Poitou, anesse being a jenny. Apparently, all Poitous look like her when they are babies.

Sadly, on 30 August, my dear standard donkey, Dave, who I've had for over 15 years, died of liver failure (my third rescue donkey to die of liver failure over the past 16 years). We don't have a ragwort problem, but they all must have had exposure to it before they came to us. My standard jenny, who comes from show stock with a known provenance, was Dave's best friend for 12 years. She's now 14 years old and is desperate for company. I decided to acquire the breed of donkey I had originally wanted 18 years ago. Poitous were virtually impossible to source in the UK until quite recently. They became so endangered, numerically, that by 1977, there were only 44 left. There is a concerted breeding programme in France, so much so that the French have allowed people in other countries to acquire and breed them. The little munchkin in the photo is coming to me from a zoological park in Cambridgeshire. I was in the right place at the right time when I found out I would be able to purchase her. In the meantime, I have just purchased a 5 year old Livre A anesse from a breeder in France. She will be coming to our farm next week.

Last edited:

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I meant to mention that there are some very lovely babies on this thread. SpottyTB, your Hugo is stunning! What forechest for a baby, besides his head, body, neck, etc.

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thank you RutlandH20 - he's pretty well developed for his age.. he's got a lovely jumpers bottom ;p

Your little donkey is gorgeous - i'll have to show my OH he LOVES donkeys - really want's one ;p - sorry to hear about Dave. (RIP) xx

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
what colour coloured? Sounds palomino...

Not quite as pale as lemon and white but not really chestnut either. I thought she may be palamino but her mane and tail are the same colour as her body not flaxen. her breeder thinks she will be chestnut but I am not so sure maybe cremello, is that possible with her parents colour? Sorry I know I am a bit vaque but not very good with the colour thing. I once bred a dark bay mare and stallion and ended up with a black mare!

RutlandH2O

Visit site
SpottyTB: There are 2 Livre A yearling geldings available at the zoological park from where my baby will be coming. I didn't have the heart to separate them, and really didn't want 2 more with the foal. They are lovely and so personable. Dare you show this to your OH?

I did forget to mention Hugo's beautilicious bum.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Not quite as pale as lemon and white but not really chestnut either. I thought she may be palamino but her mane and tail are the same colour as her body not flaxen. her breeder thinks she will be chestnut but I am not so sure maybe cremello, is that possible with her parents colour? Sorry I know I am a bit vaque but not very good with the colour thing. I once bred a dark bay mare and stallion and ended up with a black mare!

Remember that bays are genetically black but with the agouti gene too, hence why they have black points as the agouti fades the body colour only to brown. Each parent will have only had one copy of agouti as neither parent passed it on (they couldn't have had two copies or it would have been passed on), therefore foal is black. Simples. :D

RE your foal, what colour is the dam (eg, white & buckskin, white & chestnut, white & bay etc...)?

Photos of sire, dam and foal would be very helpful. :)

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Remember that bays are genetically black but with the agouti gene too, hence why they have black points as the agouti fades the body colour only to brown. Each parent will have only had one copy of agouti as neither parent passed it on (they couldn't have had two copies or it would have been passed on), therefore foal is black. Simples. :D

Is that why my black mare by a dark bay stallion, out of a dark bay mare, isn't as good a black as my other very black mare, by a very black stallion and out of a very black mare?

BTW, I love reading your fluency in colour genetics.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site

RE your foal, what colour is the dam (eg, white & buckskin, white & chestnut, white & bay etc...)?

Photos of sire, dam and foal would be very helpful. :)

Thankyou as I said bit of a numpty when it comes to colour, the mum is not as pale as a lemon and white but not as dark as a chestnut. The sire is palamino but the grandmother (mother's side) is a liver chestnut. If I knew how to post photos I would. I will take photos of both parents when I go to collect her and try to post them. The foal is a champaign colour but as I said her mane and tail are the same colour as her coat not flaxen like a palomino. To be honest it doesn't really matter what colour she turns out to be just curious really.:)

kinskycookie

Visit site
Picking my foal/weanling up tomorrow! He's beautiful and I haven't seen him for a couple of months, can't wait to see how he has grown. So excited! I may post a picture if I can work out how to . . .

SpottyTB

Visit site
RutlandH20 - i can't show him!! (we don't have the space :( ) they are so gorgeous.. i'd love a couple too, maybe one day... and that bum is award winning ;) may be bias though...

Kinskycookie - yours is bloody gorgeous!!!! What a pretty head he has! :) good luck!! My TB X knabstrupper (the one in my sig) started of bright bay/chestnut with a black mane and tail (no spots) and has gone very blanket spotted on a bright bay base... mane and tail are white/grey :)

:D

kinskycookie

Visit site
Thank you SpottyTB - I think so too but i'm slightly biased! :D He started off black with a little white spotty blanket, as his foal fluff disappeared he became spottier and lighter! He is also a knabstrupper x . Yours is beautiful, the colour changes that spotties go through fascinates me!

SpottyTB

Visit site
Thank you SpottyTB - I think so too but i'm slightly biased! :D He started off black with a little white spotty blanket, as his foal fluff disappeared he became spottier and lighter! He is also a knabstrupper x . Yours is beautiful, the colour changes that spotties go through fascinates me!

He is very nice and you'll find he'll be extremely talented - seems knabstruppers X are very good allrounders. Mine's pretty good a jumping and has balls of steel about pretty scary stuff.. and i'm putting it down to the knabstrupper :p

Yeah Gem is my colour fix and Hugo is my plain fix :p - two completely different looking horses!!! :D