Anyone else got a dog with claustrophobia?

Montyforever

Visit site
Honestly Barneys a nightmare! If he goes into the kitchen/bathroom/hall (quite small rooms but manageable even for the giraffe sized greyhound) he panics and will not turn round but reverses out at high speed. If you physically pull him round so he's facing the door he stands there and shakes until he can get out of the room. If he's in a small space eg car he just spends the whole time pacing/whinging. Fair enough but he will do it if there's food involved :p he's also terrified of the fan and wont step foot in the room while its on and jumps at his own shadow .. My dog is a freak!

planete

Visit site
Join the club! Seriously, has he got hound in his breeding? The lurchers here are very good at backing out of tight corners and do not like their long bodies folded round by somebody else. One of them also freaked out at the fan of a low-lying air-conditioning unit the other day. Some dogs get really worried by being manhandled, I would just ignore him and let it work it out for himself. A tense dog will often not take food either, all very normal I would say. With some fosters I can gauge when they have relaxed enough to be receptive by trying them with a treat, if they will not take it, they get given more time before being asked to do anything.

Montyforever

Visit site
Join the club! Seriously, has he got hound in his breeding? The lurchers here are very good at backing out of tight corners and do not like their long bodies folded round by somebody else. One of them also freaked out at the fan of a low-lying air-conditioning unit the other day. Some dogs get really worried by being manhandled, I would just ignore him and let it work it out for himself. A tense dog will often not take food either, all very normal I would say. With some fosters I can gauge when they have relaxed enough to be receptive by trying them with a treat, if they will not take it, they get given more time before being asked to do anything.

Yep, greyhound! Doesn't look like it will be an issue for much longer after todays news though :(

Alec Swan

Visit site
Honestly Barneys a nightmare! If he goes into the kitchen/bathroom/hall (quite small rooms but manageable even for the giraffe sized greyhound) he panics and will not turn round but reverses out at high speed. If you physically pull him round so he's facing the door he stands there and shakes until he can get out of the room. If he's in a small space eg car he just spends the whole time pacing/whinging. Fair enough but he will do it if there's food involved :p he's also terrified of the fan and wont step foot in the room while its on and jumps at his own shadow .. My dog is a freak!

An interesting question, and yes, I've had several which couldn't cope with being contained in a cage or the back of a car. They've been dogs of all sorts.

Regarding your kitchen floor or hall way, are they carpeted surfaces? There are many dogs (in my experience particularly Coursing dogs of various makes), who can't cope with shiny or glazed floor surfaces, even Lino was too much for them, and a typical behaviour was an apparent inability to turn around, accompanied by heavy panting and perspiration from their feet. They're mostly unable to relax enough to let their toenails lift, and so they tend to skate. It can be distressing to watch.

Alec.