Anyone else harrowing?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I said to the OH that if it stayed dry we should get the top paddock harrowed as it's full of moss and the grass isn't growing. He thought I was mad but today all the farmers are out harrowing!

So we are harrowing tomorrow- just enough to get the worst of the moss up. I've got a farmer coming up to do them properly in April.

chaps89

Visit site
Our fields are a long way off being harrowed, still sticky sinky slidey mud :( but I imagine my old yard could well get away with harrowing now - the ground was a lot different there!
So long as you accept it might need redoing again, which you have, I don't see why not if your ground is relatively dry and the sun's out!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, the farmers round here have been busy harrowing their own land for the last week! In February!

I'm intending to start on my 7 acres tomorrow, some of it is too wet but most of it is ready. I always have to do it in stages as it dries out. I've got a decent set of spring tine harrows which I tow behind the old 4x4.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There has been a fleet of tractors out all around us today, harrowing, muck spreading, you name it. Unprecedented in February! And my daffs are all flowering.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Harrowed one of mine at the end of January, and another last weekend. Have fertilised and reseeded too. Can’t ever remember doing this so early in the year, but being on clay soil, we only get a narrow window to do it, as it’s usually too wet or too hard!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Sounds like everyone's busy this weekend! I'm really pleased to be able to harrow now as we had hardly any grass growth last summer/autumn and what their is is patchy and mossy, so I'm hoping this will give the grazing a bit of an early boost.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Have rolled half the farm , and apart from the small horse paddocks its been an easy job - never known the land so dry at this time of year, and no boggy bits where I would normally expect them. Harrowing will be the next job, after another day s worth of rolling.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Made a good start on the higher, drier and more distant areas today. I don't poo pick these in winter, so the harrowing really tidies it all up.

In 15c temps and warm sunshine, in February!

View attachment 30016

I spent a very happy afternoon harrowing the fields in the Shogun, with the dog in the passenger seat for company. :)

I wasn't going to do the winter field that they are still grazing as I knew it would look horribly bare afterwards, but I'm glad I did as it got up all the old hay and apparently their was grass hiding underneath, so the horses are happy!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Shoguns are brill, aren't they?!

The 3 horses currently have access to two interlinked paddocks, total area approx 3 1/4 acres. I've harrowed the half of each paddock that was standing foggage in the autumn, and put them back out on the lot.

Tammy, (the greediest), was keen to check that there was still edible grass available!

image.jpeg

I'm sure it'll need harrowing again when 'proper' spring comes, but this will have done it a lot of good. I did it both lengthways and widthways, so it currently looks a bit flattened. I'll keep on top of the poo picking again on the harrowed bits, the other parts get done year round.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Looks
Shoguns are brill, aren't they?!

The 3 horses currently have access to two interlinked paddocks, total area approx 3 1/4 acres. I've harrowed the half of each paddock that was standing foggage in the autumn, and put them back out on the lot.

Tammy, (the greediest), was keen to check that there was still edible grass available!

View attachment 30037

I'm sure it'll need harrowing again when 'proper' spring comes, but this will have done it a lot of good. I did it both lengthways and widthways, so it currently looks a bit flattened. I'll keep on top of the poo picking again on the harrowed bits, the other parts get done year round.

Looks like you did a much better job than me! :)

Love your pictures. It looks very tranquil there.

Asha

Visit site
I noticed the farmers around us doing it on sunday, so did ours on Monday . A great job done, the ground was just perfect as it levelled out all the trashed areas too.

tda

Visit site
I wish we'd done ours a few weeks ago 🤔😐 we have standing water in the field this morning, it's been snowing, and the sun's out now 😂

SEL

Visit site
So two weeks ago today I was happily harrowing. I didn't quite make it into this corner then, as it was still a tad soft there. Maybe today is not the day to try again? Pic taken this morning.

View attachment 30333
That's pretty much what I waded through this morning! Lots more forecast for tomorrow night so think the mud is back. Its a shame - I was enjoying mud free feathers, wheelbarrows that didn't get stuck and wellies that didn't double in size after each trip to the field.