Anyone else hate travelling horses?

Greyhorse1

Visit site
And is there anything I can do to get over it?

I love competing and have a fabulous mare but I am so nervous travelling her that it’s making me not want to go. I also want to join a riding club but that’s not an option unless I can get there.

She travels like a dream so that’s not the issue. Loads 100% no problems at either end. She will also stand on the box all day so that’s not the problem.

At first I thought it was towing that made me feel sick, so the trailer was sold. I upgraded to a 3.5t van which I managed to use locally but as it was very old limited my journeys to within a 20min radius. Now I have a shiney newer one as I thought I could brave it and go to the larger events however still don’t feel much better about it and have used it even less.

Hiring isn’t really an option due to the cost of paying someone to sit and wait, some of the shows last most of the day and I don’t have any friends to come with me (hence thinking of joining a club to make some!)

I am not a nervous car driver and drive 100s of miles per week (mainly motorway!) so what’s the problem with having a horse in the back 😬

Alibear

Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is like so many things, in that you have to do it more to be able to cope with it more.
I used to happily tow all over the country then had a break of 4 years and was very nervous on the first few trips out, a year down the line and I'm pretty much fine with it now, although trips to new places are well researched in advance with other horsey people so I know of any tight corners etc.
If you have a lorry that can take more than one horse I think you'll find a very willing friend and driver/co-pilot in no time once you go to a riding club session.
Are you happy driving the lorry without the horse in it? If not that might be the place to start?
Its also something I think hypnosis/TFT/NLP might help with if you wanted to give it a try?
Good luck.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
When I first got a trailer I hated it. I used it about 3-4 times on total over 6 months as I just could not psych myself up enough to go anywhere. So I got rid of it. Then a couple of years later I had a stern word with myself and tried again. This time I forced myself out regularly by signing the kids up to Pony Club and myself up to various clinics and comps. It took about 6 months but in the end I was as happy towing as I was just driving. Then I switched to a 7.5T lorry and had to go through the process all over again. I would dread the lorry journey from 2-3 days before I was going anywhere. Literally sleepless nights! My mantra was 'it's a skill like any other. I just need to learn'. I am fine in the lorry now but it took about 6 months again of going out every week. Just do it! It will get easier.

Greyhorse1

Visit site
Thanks both of you!

I build it up in my head and constantly worry about everything that could go wrong. Breaking down (I have breakdown cover!), crashing, ramps opening and horses falling out...you name it and I’ve thought of it.
Nothing bad has ever happened so I’m not sure what the issue is, I am not normally an anxious person I promise.

My current van has been out of action for some mechanical work so it’s made it all a lot more worrying. Probably because I haven’t used it and I don’t actually ‘trust’ it as much as you can trust a vehicle.

Silly isn’t it.

I don’t have anyone who would come with me, I do have one horsey friend but she has a 7.5t and has no need to ride in mine.

lauracwd2

Visit site
I feel similar, like you I am a confident driver and will happily drive my car anywhere. I have a 3.5t and I'm pretty happy to drive it anywhere empty too. I think my issue is that we never had transport when I was a child so although I've always had horses, being able to take them anywhere didn't come to me til I was in my thirties by which point it seemed like a really big deal. I feel so responsible when I'm driving my horse around, he's trusted me to put him in a metal box and look after him and that seems like a huge weight on me. It does get better the more often I get out but I seem to go through phases of going out regularly then having a break.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Yes I do but it is due to a bad trailer incident following which pony nearly died, then 2 bad loaders - one squashing me in the corner & one trying to jump over breast bar - I refuse to let it stop me taking my daughter out so have every possible mishap hopefully covered - I have a camera in the rear so I know they havent fallen through the floor! Breakdown cover. Hi Viz in case of breakdown. I also carry sedative in case of emergencies & I use rescue remedy for myself. Proper horse veterinary bag. It does get better the more you go out but the minute I hear other horses crashing around in the lorries/trailers at shows I hate it. I also ensure lorry is fully serviced & checked, allow plenty of time to get anywhere, & drive very slowly. I do feel myself getting anxious beforehand but once on our way this settles. It amazes me how many people just take it all in their stride without much consideration & also it amazes me there arent stricter laws re transportation etc. It is my pet hate but one I have to overcome!

sport horse

Visit site
Just go and drive it. Take the lorry out empty until you are totally comfortable with it. Then take the horse. Not too far at first, then gradually go further and go out as often as you can. You will soon get used to it.

Annagain

Visit site
It's like riding, the only way to build confidence is to actually do it. Practice practice practice. I'm guessing at the moment you don't drive the lorry much at all so not only are you dealing with your nerves, the vehicle is unfamiliar too. Take it out empty until driving it is 2nd nature. Then when you put the horse on, although you'll need to get used to that, at least the actual driving will be familiar. I. Start with short journeys and build up slowly. Book lessons or make plans to meet people so you can't back out. Join that riding club and sign up to as much as you can locally.

D66

Visit site
Feel the fear and do it any way.
My main fears were the lorry starting and the horse loading. At one point the speedo didn’t work and we had to use the sat-nav to keep within th speed limit. There again hoping the horse would load to come home was an issue too.
If you don’t try you’ll never get over it. :)

Greyhorse1

Visit site
Thankyou all of you.

I’ve barely driven the new one. It had a few minor issues that needed sorting and it’s stood ever since which also worries me incase it’s siezed up.
I rarely drive it as it’s in storage when not in use as it won’t fit at home.

I think I will make it my New Years resolution to drive it at least once per week and see if that helps :)

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'm nervous even when my qualified other half does it, purely because I panic something will happen and one of mine is a bad traveler.

What about having a lesson in it with a instructor just to make yourself feel at ease? or a camera to see what your mares doing?

Reactions: DD

Louby

Visit site
Im the same, always have been :(. So many what ifs and it drives me mad! Ive swapped between wagons and trailers hoping I will feel better but its just the whole travelling horses thats the issue. I dread the motorway incase theres a traffic jam and my horse goes mad, the lorry overheating, breaks down, horse has a hissy fit, what would I do, its endless. I have a cracking albeit older wagon and a nice young horse and I really need to get over it. Driving the lorry doesnt bother me, its basically the horse being in the back.

Reactions: DD

Fiona

Visit site
Just go and drive it. Take the lorry out empty until you are totally comfortable with it. Then take the horse. Not too far at first, then gradually go further and go out as often as you can. You will soon get used to it.

I totally agree with this approach.....

If you believe in that sort of thing, why not take a Kalms tablet or a squirt of Rescue Remedy before you go out x x

Good luck....

Fiona

Mule

Visit site
Another thing you could do is make a list of what it is about it that scares you. Then look at the list and see how likely those particular things are to happen. Then write down things you could do to mitigate the risks. It works to show you that the likelihood of something bad happening is lower than you think.

oldie48

Visit site
It is not my favourite thing but I do it anyway. Like Louby, I'd happily drive an empty lorry to Scotland and back but once the beloved horse is in, I do have a low level of anxiety. I find myself listening to every murmur of the engine, every rattle. I like to have the radio on to distract me a bit but currently it's not working! I have a camera but have stopped using it because frankly Rose and my previous horse were excellent to travel and it tends to take my eyes off the road. I try to deal withmy anxiety by being rational, driving carefully and knowing my route. A new route is always more stressful! I do think, like others have said, you just have to get out and do it.

Greyhorse1

Visit site
What scares me...well it’s the thought of breaking down mainly especially on the motorway and someone crashing into the back of me. Also the thought of a door/ramp opening or the horse coming through the floor although it’s very secure and has a new floor so this is rubbish.
I also don’t like things like the wind hitting the van, lorries passing and sucking me in, having to get on and off slip roads and even silly things like getting lost and not knowing where I am going.

I like the thought of cctv. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced ones I could install easily?

tda

Visit site
Definitely second driving it on your own til you get very comfortable, go to the supermarket in it etc 😁

When I first started towing I was very nervous, often in tears, convinced every clatter was a disastrous injury, that i would arrive at the destination with blood running from the back of the trailer (honestly)

But, I really wanted to get out with my pony so we just carried on and it did get better. I've towed all over the country and don't mind it at all now xx

Good luck

Pie's mum

Visit site
Me too!
I was ok until I had an incident in my old lorry where the brakes failed.... luckily I was only going at about 10mph when I went to brake, my foot hit the floor and the lorry kept going!! Lorry had only just passed its MoT too. Even now with my lovely little Renault Master I am really nervous even though it’s never let me down. The more I drive it the better I get though. Last year I was out almost every weekend and driving it was a doddle. Have had a few months off and now I’m worried again especially as have not been able to move the lorry in that time. I’m going to have to go out for a good few drives empty before I feel confident putting my boy in it and I think have it looked over too as being laid up for a while isn’t very good for it 😩
The worst for me is travelling someone else’s horse. I know my boy is very sensible and travels better than I do but with horses I don’t know I fear them kicking off and destroying the box and themselves in the process - on top of the fear of breaking down or other disaster.

SOS

Visit site
The more often you do it the better. I am a confident driver and have been towing two years now but if I have a few weeks off I get more anxious. Without the horse it doesn’t bother me but with a horse and alone it is harder. I always find the journey home easier as not worrying about loading, competing, know the roads back etc.

My horses have always travelled well and don’t come off sweating or stressed so I know I must be a half decent tower. Therefore I put on the radio and sing along if I feel a bit anxious leaving the yard. Soon calms me!

Note: be careful of above advice on a summer day with the window down at traffic lights... the horses weren’t distressed but the driver next to me was scarred!

Reactions: tda

dotty1

Visit site
I could have written this!, I am exactly the same....I have a lovely 3.5t. Once I am at a venue I enjoy it but the thought of travelling there is enough to make any excuse not to go!. Horse is a good loader and travels fine, it did have a clutch problem a couple of years ago where I couldn't change gear so forced it all the way home with white knuckles and sweat in 3rd gear rather than stop!...but that is sorted and it has been perfectly fine since.
I don't mind it empty, happy to drive it around all day but think I have a real fear of breaking down or having a puncture.. because of this I don't go far which is a shame.
I very rarely have someone to come with me but it is better with company.
Determined this year to just crack on with it......my excuse at the moment not to go anywhere is it's too cold......it might be icy.....wet.....windy.....

Quadro

Visit site
Take it to tesco. Do silly journeys in it until becomes the norm. Be comfortable in it without the horse. I am lucky, in that nothing bothers me,towing or hgv. Took my friends lorry i had never driven out on wed with 7 in it. The more you drive the less you will worry. I have broken down on the m74, all worked out fine. Had blow outs etc. It is a pain at the time but no ill effects i promise you!

sport horse

Visit site
Take each of your fears:
Breaking down? You have breakdown cover and a mobile phone?
On a motorway? Tuck a warning triangle on board (compulsory in many european countries) that you could put out.
Wind? No one sensible goes out with a horse lorry in high winds. Stay at home those days.
Floor? You have had it checked. Continue to check it yourself and have it regularly checked.
Lorries sucking you into the slip stream? Go fairly slowly until you gain confidence in your vehicle.
Getting lost? Get a sat nav.
Slip Roads? How the heck do you drive your car up and down slip roads? Do the same with your lorry!
CCTV? Forget it, just concentrate on driving!

One last piece of advice. Get your local HGV driving school to take you out for one or two half day lessons. Once you have driven for two 3 or 4 hour periods you will be fine. I did exactly this when my rider left to set up on his own and I was left with an 18 ton lorry with a split gear box. Yes I had my HGV but I was intimidated by this lorry. Two proper lessons put me on the road and actually improved my driving no end. Quite happy now to set off with 6 horses on board. Yes I have had blow outs. Yes I have had breakdowns. Ring for help!! It comes.