Anyone else have problems in getting professionals to return calls?

fredflop

Visit site
Please say it’s not just me. Moved to a new area. First saddler I tried cancelled four appointments due to child being ill, dog being ill, then just not bothering to rearrange a visit.

Almost as bad with physio; told them I work shifts, and need plenty of notice to take a day off if i have to book a days leave to cover visit. Comes once, next visit got a message, I’m visiting another horse in your area I’d planned on seeing both at the same time (in two days time when I’m at work). Inform them that it’s not going to be possible as I’m at work. Tried chasing up for follow up appointment, no response.

Now it’s the flipping farrier.

I’m not a nut job and neither is my horse. Is it just me, or do other people have the same problem!

Shay

Visit site
Yes - but it is you (sorry!). I used to have the same issue. Once they know you, know you will attend and will pay bills on time it will get better. But in the early days they don't know you are not a nutter. And worse a nutter who doesn't pay on time. Its really hard to get good folk on board to start with.

Perhaps ask for recommendations? What I say to those I trust to be decent is to tell the practitioner that I have specifically recommended them. ( or often make that call myself) That way the practitioner is responsible to me - a long established and profitable customer - to turn up and not annoy my friend. But also the friend is responsible to me not to be late paying bills or otherwise nutty. I don't personally recommend anyone I don't trust - I would not abuse my relationship with the professional that way.

The thing is the good ones have their established practices and probably don't need new clients other than through introduction. The ones with spaces for new clients are not always the ones you want to deal with!

Pippity

Visit site
It's still bloody annoying! I initially wanted to try a specific saddle for my new horse - the only response I got from the local fitter, after chasing her for three weeks, was lies. ("I've emailed you the fitting form." No, you bloody haven't.) Tried a different brand recommended for cobs - fitter cancelled the first appointment, after I'd taken a day off work for it. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the second because horse went lame, but did it with plenty of notice. Attempts to rebook have been met with silence.

I'm not 100% happy with the fitter I used for my old share horse, because she has no concept of sticking to a budget, but I'm on the verge of going back to her just because she does actually respond.

fredflop

Visit site
It’s taken me appointments with three more saddlers to find one that actually did what I wanted. Although granted all three did make and keep to appointments.

I’m really not sure how hard it is to say... I’ve got money here to spend, come and get it!

flying_high

Visit site
I think cultivating good relationships with the right support team is one of the most important things for keeping a working horse on the road.

Right vet, farrier, bodyworkers, saddler etc.

Chuffy99

Visit site
We have a great saddler locally but takes for ever to respond to text/call then doesn’t turn up, when she first moved to the area she was regularly recommended on FB but now I notice no one does. Personal recommendation/disappointing service works both ways.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
When out fitting saddles and doing on site repairs I had customers call me 11.30pm and at 5.45am (Sundays) on my mobile when an "emergency" arose and they needed to go to a show/event and something wasn't right with their saddle or something had broken and needed fixing. I always responded as well and as quickly as I could but some do expect you to drop everything and do theirs asap.We can only do so much if we are a one man operation. It is not on though if they are not answering your calls or trying to turn up when you are not there, some are so busy they just don't get a chance to reply very quickly but should always reply when they have a few mins.

fredflop

Visit site
I only ring during working hours, and do not expect an instant response. My family run a small business so I have some idea what it’s like.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think there are 2-3 reasons. Some saddle fitters have been so busy that they don't need the business, and something has to give, so they don't bother calling back. Some of us are just running around doing everything and it's hard to keep on top of everything, though its very rare that I miss something completely. If I go back and find a customer that slipped through the net I always contact them and apologise profusely. Then there are those who just don't really care.

I will say though that travelling diaries are very very difficult, especially for those of us doing our own (a diary PA would cost me several hundred pounds and so far I've tried two in the past and neither worked out). If' I'm out fitting for two days, and 1-2 days off, that's a long time where it's impossible for me to get back to a customer.

Also because I cover a large area if I do book a long way ahead so that your work commitments are manageable, which I understand is critical, I can end up with one fitting in my diary which might be 3 hours away, to 8 hours for one fitting. I wouldn't be able to earn a living, and wouldn't be able to service all my customers. I try my best to fit in advance requests like that but my normal booking procedure is that you wait a week or two for me to get enough fits in your area to make a day of it, then I book with 1-2 weeks notice, trying to find a day that suits everyone. A lot of work for me but works well for most of my customers, we all try our best.

And yes, agree with Oz, I get some very demanding customers who contact at all hours of day and night. My voicemail explains it may take a couple of days to get back to them, but texts and FB messages to me personally can't have an auto reply, which means I often get chased within a few hours. It's quite stressful!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Oh and if out on the road I hear you Oz about replying if you do have a few minutes spare but I like to give a customer my full attention, and often my only time is when driving. Because of not being able to take notes, AND with the miles I do I need to pay attention to the road, plus the fact that sometimes I can get 10 messages or more in a day, they have to wait until I'm at my desk.

I don't think I've missed an appointment more than once or twice in ten years, and I always message asap if running late etc or need to change plans for any reason. I don't understand not doing that.

SOS

Visit site
Can really relate to this, I felt quite frustrated as it’s not like I was asking them a favour. I approached in a professional way with no pressing time limit and couldn’t give my money away!

Saddlers who didn’t get back to me/had very little suitable stock so were not willing to come out and attempt to fit the horse. Then when I got one, turned up an hour late, took home one of my existing saddles to fit to the horse (as all he had brought were not part of my brief I.e black not brown, GP not jumping) and said he would call me early next week and return it by the Friday. When there had been no contact by Thursday I left a message. Only got back to me on the Monday to say he could drop the saddle off on Wednesday... despite me stating before I was working that day. Ended up taking the time off as it was easier than rearranging with him.

Second with farriers... had a small (10 week ish) gap during which I didn’t need a farrier this summer. Previous farrier used to shoe my horse and another on the yard, asked when I bought a new horse would he like to continue, all fine. Other horse (not belonging to me) moved yards and when I contacted my farrier about coming out to shoe my single horse in 4-5 weeks time he said it was too far and not worth the journey for one. I then contacted 3 others who came out to the yard for various horses, none were taking on new clients. Looked for recommendations for a new farrier, found someone who came to the yard to check when the horse was due, said to ring him in 3 weeks. Rang, no answer so left a text. Got back to me saying ‘I am not taking on new customers at this time as already busy enough’... fuming didn’t quite cover it! Now had a horse that was due that week so needed to find someone short notice. Did find a lovely farrier in the end to come out and fingers crossed it works out with him.

Unfortunately I think demand is higher than supply so people can pick and chose their clients. For someone like me with one working horse and a yard quite far out, this often means it’s not worth their time.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think this applies across the board. My son was complaining that builders etc didn't return calls, etc. and I told him never, ever to expect anyone to return a call, you simply have to chase them. Actually I find that text and email sometimes gets a better response!

The odd times someone DOES return a call I am surprised.