Anyone else having this problem with grazing???

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
In April I still had mud and little grass. May & June were good grass months. By the middle of July I had no grass due to lack of rain. Suddenly in the space of a week I have too much grass again(It is very short but has a high sugar content we've had behaviour issues with the youngsters and a spasmodic colic with another horse). AHHHHHHH

Are others having the same problems?? I really monitor the paddocks and try very hard to match the paddocks to the horses requirements. There are no sudden changes to grass or diet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We just have no grass! Even the field which has had no horses on since last November still has no grass to speak of. Perhaps after this evening's rain

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I strip graze mine and when we had the first lot of rain after weeks of very hot weather i brought the fencing fowards creating a new fencing line and left the original in place. The grass has grown quite a lot so i am increasing it by a foot or two a day to eventually meet the existing line and putting a small amount of hay out in various small piles. People have said they dont understand my desire to hay but Im concious that although its a big paddock because ive strip grazed there isnt a huge amount as she poos down both sides and only the middle bit is edible. I can see her ribs just visible which proves she is okay although could do with losing a little more. If it rains heavily the fence will be brought forwards again as a precaution. I dont mind fence juggling if it means she is safe. Also possibility of ulcers hence the hay piles. In the winter i plan to fence the paddock differently so straight down the middle so she has access to the top end with the grass ive saved thinking it wont be so calorific and also as its on a slight rise it will mean it wont be quite as boggy in the wet weather. The weather is so up and down at the moment.

Last edited: