Anyone else in the same boat?

Tia

Visit site
I was chattering to my husband yesterday. We were talking about the horses and in the conversation we started to talk about my stallion Ezzy. I don't actually recall the topic but I know that both of us said that Ezzy would never do whatever it was and it suddenly occured to me that I have NEVER EVER told Ezzy off! Ever! He has never put a foot wrong in the entire time I have owned him and I've never raised my voice to him, never been irritated by him, never had any cause whatsoever to reprimand him.

I bought him as a 9 month old colt and he is now a beautiful strapping Paint stallion - I must take some piccies of him as you wouldn't believe how much he has grown and filled out now.

I used to think that he was just wonderful because of his broken neck - but I honestly don't think this has anything to do with why he is the way he is - I think he would have been an absolute delight regardless.

Now I have others who are VERY well behaved too - most of mine rarely are told off as they are all so good, occasionally they will do something a teeny bit silly like move off when I am putting their rugs on or something as mundane as that.....but they are just not like Ezzy - I know for a fact that Ezzy just would never walk off when I rug him, he would never walk off when I am doing something with him.

He is a perfect horse - absolutely perfect in every single respect........and he's going to be a Daddy next year!!! Woohoo!!

Does anyone else TRULY have (or met) a perfect horse? And I mean perfect; not good most of the time, not well mannered for the majority, not clever and cuddly.....but truly perfect?

Natalie_H

Visit site
Maybe you have the magic touch!! More importantly - maybe you should come & sort out my TB!!

I would say no - I never have - but it is quite subjective as perfect for one person may not be perfect for another. My first pony was absolutely perfect for me - but was not perfectly behaved! But I loved her naughtiness as it was a part of who she is.

Just like my current horse - he can be an absolutely pig, but I look at him through rose tinted spectacles & think he is wonderful. For example, my instructor has commented that he is a one-person horse - i.e only really happy with me riding him. That is a fault in many people's eyes, but I find it endearing!!!! (how pathetic am I).

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
no but do you wanna swap?!?!?
grin.gif

Tia

Visit site
The thing is absolutely everyone loves Ezzy. He has this charm about him - anyone who has met him will vouch for this - I can't quite put my finger on it but he is definitely a very special being. Almost like he has been here before.....or he has stared death in the face.....you know that kind of personality?

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! No sorry - he'll be with me for life.........but I do have others who won't
grin.gif
. Transport might be a bit of a problem - d'you have a sturdy dinghy??
wink.gif

Salcey

Visit site
I think thats the beautiful thing about paint horses especially. I have a friend that breds them and my daughter who is now 12 has always been able to rug up and groom the stallion. lead him in from the field past mares etc - their temperment is to die for.
All the youngsock in my experience love humans and are sooo chilled it makes them the style of horse.
Needless to say I know have a part paint mare and a part paint filly!!!

eahotson

Visit site
Yes, one.He was about 13 when I got him. VERY well schooled and a fabulous jumper.Near thoroughbred.I got him because he was broken winded (this was a few yers ago and not so much was known at the time). No one else wanted him. I boiught him and learned to manage his wind problem. He repaid me in spades and was fabulous to handle, ride anything. He really used to look after me and taught me so much.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is absolutely everyone loves Ezzy. He has this charm about him - anyone who has met him will vouch for this - I can't quite put my finger on it but he is definitely a very special being. Almost like he has been here before.....or he has stared death in the face.....you know that kind of personality?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am reading one of Mark Rashid's books at the moment and he talks about the myth of Err. Basically he beleives that before we are born we set ourselves a task to achieve, when we are born we immediately forget this task but we are reborn time and time again till we have achieved the task we set ourselves. Once we achieve this task we then come back as animal to teach people who are still trying achieve their tasks. Maybe Ezzy has??? Food for thought?

vivhewe

Visit site
I'd say yes, my old mare. When we got her she was perfect to do (but an idiot to ride
crazy.gif
but seeing as I never did ride her back then it doesn't count
wink.gif
) and she was very well mannered etc. but unlike yours tia she was because she'd been forced into it rather than just bonding with us and understanding what we wanted
frown.gif

When she came home though and I started spending time with her everyday (I couldn't when she was at my mum's friends) me and her ended up understanding eachother totally
grin.gif
She knew she could wander off when she got bored of being groomed, scratch her head on my nice clean clothes every time she saw me, pretend she hadn't heard me if I didn't have food and if she decided to she'd gallop away from my granda when I was trying to tell him she was good! But she always stood still for me to put her rug on (she wouldn't for anyone else
smirk.gif
) and she never got told off for being like she was!

She was such a brilliant horse when you knew her even though she didn't like everyone and although she wasn't perfect, I never raised my voice, got irritated by her, or reprimanded her. Not even on her last day at ours in August when I was bandaging her sore leg and she managed to spook into me and kick me in the ribs - I suppose she had to get one in before she went didn't she?
grin.gif

mpicton

Visit site
For me, I'de say my boy is pretty much perfect! (although I am biased, everyone else adores him). I have never had the need to really tell him off, and I'm not a soft touch. Only yesterday however we had out first ever spat. He came over to me when I went to bring him in last night and a new horse came over and then Dublin went for him which is extremely unlike him. I was far too close for comfort and very nearly was on the recieving end of a double barrel. Shouted at him and did give him a smack with the rope (first instinct). Needless to say he looked very sheepish which made me feel bad! But he really has never out a foot wrong really and has got the most amazing, sociable and friendly temperament. He's my man!

loopeepee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I am reading one of Mark Rashid's books at the moment and he talks about the myth of Err. Basically he beleives that before we are born we set ourselves a task to achieve, when we are born we immediately forget this task but we are reborn time and time again till we have achieved the task we set ourselves. Once we achieve this task we then come back as animal to teach people who are still trying achieve their tasks. Maybe Ezzy has??? Food for thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that definatley has got me thinking . .

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
My old boy was similar. He didn't have a nasty bone in his body. I can't say I never lost my temper with him but it was because he could be stubborn but he never bit, kicked or did anything malicious in the 14 years I owned him.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Is he tidy in the stable too?

I don't have to tell mine off much, except for sweet itch boy scratching.

However they are not perfect as they are very messy in the stable / paddock with a tendancy to destroy rugs!

Bex7

Visit site
er definately a no on this one!!

Bert is a big girls blouse out hacking, a typical cob around feed (although he doesn't mug me anymore he has learned to wait for his tea) and a bully to others in the field! He will try to munch grass when you lead him and even ride him if you are not quick enough and he also likes to lean on you with his full weight when you pick his feet up. He also has a personal space issue and loves to be close and see what I am doing, if I am poo picking or ragworting I can actually feel his breath on my neck and he will follow me around all day!

Other than that he is an Angel! I will give him credit for being a total babe in as much as he doesn't have a bad bone in his body! Never kicks, bites, rears or bucks and will move away when asked to do so.

x

jes_nibley

www.languedocgundogs.co.uk
just had to comment on the personal space... my boy loves being close. when i'm mucking out or skipping out, if he doesn't have his b/fast or dinner to keep him occupied he seems to have to stand on the exact same six inches as me. and rests his head on my shoulder which i have to admit is kida cute, (and very distracting as i keep having to stop to give him a scratch) but then he'll all of a sudden push me over the cheeky little tyke and i go flying, you can almost see him laughing!
other than that, he's quite good, we just have the occasional blip and return to how we were before i had him. i got him when he was just under two and he'd been beaten since birth so it took a loooong time to nuture his character through to the surface. i have to say, for all his faults and quirky ways, i wouldn't part with him for the world!

Tia

Visit site
No I don't think I am any more tolerant than the next person - in fact I am possibly less tolerant!! I never ever let my horses get away with mischief or bad behaviour....not even once! They know what is expected of them and they know they will be pulled up if they misbehave....therefore they tend not to misbehave as then Mummy is all happy and smiley.
smile.gif

Ezzy is nothing like other horses though - he never has an alterior motive, he never has hidden agendas, he just never ever misbehaves. I've never once told him off - I have told all my other horses off at least once in a while.

He is clean in a stable, he never rips his rugs, he doesn't fight or become over-protective, he never gets excited (except when he is having sex with a mare
shocked.gif
but even then he is a complete gentleman). When he gets cast, he just lies there and waits for us to pull him over - I always take the rear legs and he never kicks out, he just waits till he is lying the right way round and then will lie there until I say it is okay for him to get up. He does get cast more than the normal horse because of his neck but he is adorable and you can almost see him saying thank you to you.

He positively glows all the time and if he was a person he would be a smiler!!

I don't know; I've had loads of horses over loads of decades and met tonnes more belonging to other people but I've just never met a horse like him in my life before. There is something very very special about him.

Maybe in time he will turn out to be the same as other horses, who knows, but right now he isn't.

filly190

Visit site
I love my mare who is 20 with all my heart, she is kind and gentle. Yes she does things wrong and I could never shout at her, she melts me and I would forgive her anything.

My other horses, I love them, but not in the same way, I think you have sometimes a life-time special horse and I am lucky to have mine.

You have clearly brought yours up extremely well and have created a bond of trust, respect and love. It is so nice to have posts of this nature.

Tia

Visit site
My all time love was like this. I absolutely worshipped the ground she walked on. I owned her for 16 years and she was totally the love of my life - I have never loved a horse like her before or since.........but this is not what Ezzy is like! He is nothing like her - he does not envoke that spark in me - I don't love him like I loved my sj mare. No it isn't like this with him. It's not how I feel about him - it's what he is! Sorry but I can't really describe it.....I seem to be at a loss for words here.

It's not that he is adored or worshipped - that's not what I am getting at. I don't love him like I loved my special mare - it's him! Nothing to do with what I feel for him. He's been here before I think.

I really can't explain it. I don't feel undying love for him....god I don't know how to explain it........he's just special......