Anyone else lost their riding Mojo in this heat?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm never good in a heatwave, and particularly not now, as have got a persistent summer "bug" complete with cough and runny nose.

Have just seemed to have lost my riding mojo! Went out on Sunday morning (with a friend on my other horse) which was easy enough as even though I was hacking and hawking, because my two horses were both out together, they were nice & chilled and even though there were a few pesky flies, it was basically an armchair ride.

Now, I'm looking at them both in the field. Its hot here, baking hot, and no wind to help. And I know that as soon as I bung a saddle over their backs and get out down the road, out will come the bleddi flies and the poor things'll be driven crazy!

Plus the fact I feel like a piece of chewed string.......

Anyone else struggling with the heat? Lost your mojo? All your enthusiasm got up and gone?

We've all been waiting for the "nice weather"; well now it IS summer, tis a real struggle!

Oh dear, a moaning post really!

Steerpike

Visit site
I struggle in the heat, I try to get my riding done early morning and hide indoors for a long lunch before gearing myself up to go back out in the afternoon.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
It's the flies that are stopping me. I spend my whole time looking down and reaching to get more horseflies off him and me. I can't get a ride on rug in his size and he is really bothered by them so every ride is just a few fleeting moments of enjoyment, then back to a joggy, twitchy horse and me being the biggest fly swot around.

Trouper

Visit site
Struggling to stay awake today, never mind ride - but that could be age!!:confused: Another one for an early morning start and then collapse until the sun is over the yard arm.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am definitely not a hot weather person :oops: I get hot enough in the winter... when I'm standing around I get so cold but as soon as I start doing anything the internal furnace goes up to 11 and I lose all enthusiasm, just want to sit indoors in the dark!

However, summer is a busy time, lots of shows to prep for and having just got a new horse he needs plenty of attention. I used to always ride in the mornings before work but that doesn't really work at this yard. \The school is a sun trap so I'm just leaving it as late as possible, get the advanced horse done first while I'm feeling fresh and then do the newbie afterwards when the flies have gone to bed :)

rosiesowner

Visit site
Yes-When it's really hot I struggle to find the motivation to ride as it is more tempting to fuss and bathe Chills instead as she is a grey! So I try to save riding for a bit later on as the temperature drops and it becomes a lot more pleasant. Sometimes that means I have ridiculously late finishes at the yard which don't go too well with my early morning get ups but it beats melting!

SpringArising

Visit site
I've lost it in the last few weeks. I don't mind the heat but I know my poor horse is so warm already I can't bring myself to make him work.

marmalade88

Visit site
Nope! I am up the yard by 5:30, on by 6 and leaving by 7:30, normally at my desk by 8. This does mean I spend most Saturday afternoons sleeping in the garden but when it's so hot that's fine by me.

holeymoley

Visit site
Not so much any mojo but just can't stand the flies. It's not even clegs, its big black buzzy things like blue bottles!

pastit

Visit site
Yes, can't stand the heat or humidity. My horse is going to a DTM compo this weekend, so I have to hack every day, just trying to keep enough weight off him so that his back legs have a chance of fitting under his belly :)

AGray825

Visit site
Definitely lost mine, but then again I'm having horse problems as well and it's too hot to get into a ridden battle with a young horse (and now he looks a bit lame so...)

And my girl is 19yo and while perfectly sound and flies around like a bullet, it's unfair to expect much of her in the heat! She tends to be ridden in the evening and even then I'm not asking her to do loads as that's when the biting flies start attacking!

Can't wait for Autumn again!

Surbie

Visit site
Yes, definitely. Riding in the heat is miserable and the ground is so hard we are confined to walk and the occasional careful trot. Which at least gives me plenty of time to swat flies off the poor beggar. Plus lots of my hacking buddies are either already on holiday or just about to go. *sigh*.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I dont do much through July/August. I hate the heat with a passion, the flies with even more passion and its just so miserable its not worth it. We are happy hackers and not in training for anything, I ride weekend early mornings when we can be back at the yard by 1030am latest and wait for the autumn

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve had an on off sore throat, hay fever type thing for a while now too and it’s really annoying. Im partly bored with hacking as it’s too hard to do anything but walk, for the same reason there are not many events that I’d want to go to, or we have plans so I don’t have the weekend free, and am feeling a bit aimless with my riding which doesn’t help either.

So yes July and August are going to be a bit rubbish riding wise, then I’ll be complaining that it’s too cold/wet from sept onwards!

Eta oh and I also get flipping prickly heat at the merest sniff of sunshine on bare skin 🙄

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I was suppose to ride yesterday evening but got home from work sweaty and feeling knackered so didn't bother!

I find I force myself to ride more in summer than winter.. in winter I find it easier and my horses are much fitter - odd!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I’ve been forced to put a stop to games.... my ridden boy has come down with asthma this summer, came back into very light work briefly but now is puffing hard just standing on the stable so I’ve stopped riding altogether and have yet another inhaler to try on the way. At this point I would settle for him being comfortable doing nothing, I really doubt I’ll be able to bring him back into proper work until September. It’s so frustrating because i put together our first music freestyle about a week before he went down with asthma and there is no way he will be out until much later in the year. I’ve been working at a nursery so I’m about to finish for the summer and have all the time now for him but it wasn’t meant to be.... my other boy is 19 and fat, but I don’t think it’s fair to work him much in this weather.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well..... since feeling sorry for myself and posting this earlier today; I DID get my little girly out for a little poodle round the lanes this afternoon.

Bless her, the dear little soul gave me "the look" of I'm not really sure I wanna do this mum. But she did, anyway. We just did a little amble around, there was a bit of a nice breeze here when we left and I thought ahh so we may avoid the flies, but then we got down into a valley & hedges around, and sure enough out they all came! Right under little'un's tummy. She's such a genuine little pony that she didn't bronc or do anything silly, but she did make it very obvious that she wanted to tank for home!! I could totally understand how she felt, and let her trot home to get away from the nasty flies.

But am not sure I'll go out in the daytime like that again. Had to today, as only time I've got spare. Certainly shan't go out with Black Beastie in it, she's the World's Magnet for flies and it would have been even worse on her.

Oh..... managed to KILL a Warble Fly on my girlie earlier too, so very pleased with that! Dang things! Have seen a herd of cows go crazy when they're being pursued by one.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
We don't get that much trouble with flies in my area, but my regular weekly lessons have stopped for the summer break, and I've not managed to sort myself any hacking out. It would be through the forest, so in the shade almost all the time.

And I find that as I get a tiny little bit older, I tolerate the heat better.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I hardly ride at all in July and August, other than weekends if I can get out by 7am! I hate the heat, I hate the flies more and it makes me miserable so I dont bother. Pony doesnt care, he spends most of the day under his favourite tree asleep!! Roll on September

J&S

Visit site
As long as I am out and back before 11 am it doesn't seem too bad. Mostly walking and hill work as the tracks are too hard but still can work up a sweat (them and me!)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I stick and balled my mare in the big field in the midday heat - I try to condition her to working in the heat, but obviously don't overcook her. She handled it fine, but I'm wrecked. I did hack the other two after and put on a good few miles, but it would be better for some rain and a bit of a drop in temperature!

exracehorse

Visit site
I have trouble with the heat after having chemo. So, I won’t ride if very hot. And if I do, it’s late evening. But as I’ve just broken my leg, I won’t be doing anything for ages 😢

Merrymoles

Visit site
I don't mind the heat and start off with good intentions but after lugging loads of water up to the field I usually end up dripping and with a soaked t-shirt and that puts me off, as do the flies which drive my horse mad.

That said, I took him out on his own - never his favourite thing - and was slobbing along (relaxing on purpose as it calms him) on the way home when I managed to sit an enormous fly buck in the middle of the village, all four legs off the ground and then a kick back, so was quite pleased with myself. I was also pleased with the way he then settled for the rest of the way home.

Working tonight but will get out tomorrow night, weather permitting, but that's more whether he's soaked than the heat as we are forecast rain.

Evie91

Visit site
In Warwickshire- not sure we’ve had a heat wave yet. Still riding as usual, bit hot when jumping. The horse flies are starting to be a problem now though- spoiling a nice hack!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I loathe the heat. My old chap, now retired, used to make it quite clear that he wasn't going to operate in the hot weather.

My mare now is happy to go out but we choose to ride first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I would rather everyone to be comfortable and stay healthy!