Anyone else need rain?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
So parched here. I'm fine with my horse not having stellar grazing, but I'm not fine with how this dry spell will impact hay growth/production as well as all of the other crops. That's my concern. It will lead to high prices and shortages.

Usually fields are open on May 1st at the yards around here, but if the grass hasn't grown enough to the YO's liking, then many horses will be stuck in their stables and paddocks for another month or so (came off the fields in Oct/Nov). So that sucks too.

At the moment there is rain in the forecast for Thursday, Saturday, and into next week. I hope if stays in the forecast and does actually rain, not just sprinkle. Thinking about doing a rain dance, tbh.

I've lived here for nearly 7 years now and have seen a change in the weather for sure. When I first came here, we were often waiting for fields to dry out, now it's the opposite.

Reactions: TPO

Moobli

Visit site
I don't want rain, but we could do with some to help the grass to start to grow for the lambing ewes. There is also a very high risk of wildfire here at the moment as everywhere is so bone dry.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm sorry that Great Britain is having drought issues. And then some people deny climate change. Insert eye roll here. We've had enough rain here, so far. However, we had frosts last week. I'm hoping my vegetable plants have made it.

I started planting out my young tender plants yesterday after I heard a forecaster say we should be done with frosts now.

Guess what? Yep...we had frost overnight last night.

Birker2020

Visit site
As much as I hate to say it we need rain! Ground is so hard and dusty. Do not need loads but just enough to soften the ground a bit. Dont want the grass to go mad but we need it to grow a bit or hay will be short this year the way its going.
I need rain for my horse. She is on her last chance now, having had Arthramid 10 days ago in an effort to keep her paddock sound. She's on 2 weeks box rest to help it take affect before she goes out in the paddock as she's a bit of a pratt and runs around and rears next to the horse next door, etc, etc.

We could do with the rain to soften the ground so it won't hurt so much if she does run around. At least her paddock will have been rested so there might be a smigeon of grass on there.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I started planting out my young tender plants yesterday after I heard a forecaster say we should be done with frosts now.

Guess what? Yep...we had frost overnight last night.

Never trust there wont be a snap frost in late April. Im itching to get my new patio borders planted up but I'm holding off as i know it will be sods law i plant out and we get a late frost!

Not too fussed about rain for the fields, its growing and im half starving him anyway to keep his weight down (he's getting porky so its growing!) but some rain to soften the ground would be nice. Im bored of walking everywhere on our hacks with minimal trot and I stopped cantering a few weeks ago due to the hard ground!

Bit scared when it does rain the grass is going to go mad!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I normally shut off part of my field early March, for winter grazing. Last year I shut it off end of April. This year it's going to be May, assuming we get rain in the SE. I've stopped using the sand school and am thankful my horse isn't shod, as others on the yard are finding the concussion from the ground too much. We've got wide open cracks in the fields, here. Grass in hay field looks worse than it did in January.

sherry90

Visit site
Definitely need some for hay yields. We are lucky and have YO own hay but yields will be down for what they sell on so that might impact on livery costs as a knock on effect. I am selfishly not bothered about grass growth in fields because I have a porky pony but if it can strategically grow just on hay fields that would be great ?

exracehorse

Visit site
Mine still on winter paddocks. Dusty and dry. Not a single blade of grass. Looks like a Spanish riding school. Feeding ab lib haylage which is running low in hay barn and supplier is totally out. Summer paddocks not growing. I’m starting to worry. And have five to feed.

Velcrobum

Visit site
No grass, ground is cracked open so yes praying for some rain. Also have had frosts for a few days and a cold wind. It looks lovely outside but freezing cold.

Berpisc

Visit site
We have had a smattering of rain this morning but that is all. The ground in the grass field was very wet up until the end of March, some of it spent the winter at field capacity and I am on limestone. We could do with more steady rain and an easing of the north east wind and frost. One of our wheat field looks a bugger, it is on thin land and I think the combination of cold, dry and frost after soggy wetness is beginning to tell. It looks grim.

Birker2020

Visit site
It was raining in Coventry earlier this morning, I wished it to go towards the yards direction :) They are all doing a rain dance and singing at the top of their voices!