Anyone else notice something odd

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
As the title says really in H&H article on pg 20 to 22. Would like to hear from others.
shocked.gif

mossy

Visit site
I noticed that both sets of reins are threaded through the martingale ring not sure if thats correct or not but never seen it before.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that both sets of reins are threaded through the martingale ring not sure if thats correct or not but never seen it before.

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH, so used to seeing that done that it completely passed me by as being noticable - if that makes sense!
You're right, it is not correct, the rings should be on the bradoon rein only but I suppose if you have other people (judges and the like) on board then it is easier for them if reins are held together at some point and it would also make the double a bit more severe (I think, correct me if I'm wrong please) so that horse would be less likely to muck about with his head carriage in the ring so presenting the perfect picture. Tell me if I'm talking garbage!

burtie

Visit site
Most likely old muscle damage from a blow or kick, but unlikely to ever cause a problem given the size of the muscles in that area!

druid

Visit site
The one on p21 looks identical to a piece of scaffold that my old YO would use to get her eventers not touching poles
crazy.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I hadn't noticed it until I looked again after this post...

Why would you use metal ones??? I don't really know much about the techniques of teaching show jumpers
blush.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
So I pressume that the metal poles are used to make the horse pick its feet and legs up more the next time? Is this something that is used a lot to improve their way of going?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Basically, horse hits the pole, it hurts, so then they start giving them more air and become more careful. Have known of people to do it, know a very well known horse man that lives nearby, used to use barbed wire for his show jumpers, this was back in 70s/80s mind.
crazy.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Hadn't noticed it before but yep, definitely look metal. I also think it looks a bit dodgy how the second pole of the cross is behind the metal pole, wouldn't fall so easily would it, or is that just me?

_jetset_

Visit site
Ah, now I have heard of rapping but did not realise it still occurred...

It does seem a bit careless to do this sort of thing when the photographs are being used by a national equestrian magazine where there are people with hawk eyes (
wink.gif
) who will notice something out of place like this. I wonder who the photographer was? From experience, magazines usually use a photographer quite a lot, and I know for some other equestrian titles, knowledgable horsey people are used.

_jetset_

Visit site
Yes, you would have thought so. But as you said earlier, let's hope there is a good explanation for it...

I showed the picture to my hubby and typically he saw it straight away and said, "Do they usually use metal poles to jump?" before I had said anything. I think I might need glasses because it took me a while to see it and Andy isn't even horsey
smile.gif