Anyone else praying for rain

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yep - can we have some overnight too? Horse have finally gone out for the summer but are eating the field off at a rate of knots and the sheep, who are on a small area while the hay fields are fertilised, have already eaten it down to brown roots.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Yes please. Managed to get field rolled fertilised and reseeded 3 weeks ago and since then......nothing. Not a drop. I have 5 pones currently acting as lawn mowers to give the field chance to grow but it won't without rain 😖

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes! never had mine still free ranging over the lot (apart from 2 small paddocks and the winter one).
The winter paddock they came out of end Feb is still pretty bare, I've ridden in it occasionally since mid Feb too - usually its got too much growth on it by now and is only suitable to ride in during the driest part of summer!

Ive had ducks in that paddock before, ponies to their knees in water - even at this time of the year. However, its springy enough to ride on still....

A 30% chance of light shower on Tues next week is forecast, nothing damp otherwise for a fortnight! No proper rain here for well over a month.... a couple of showers at end of feb, you'd think we were in the med!

TFF, doing rain dances!

Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
No thankyou. Our fields have only just been dry enough to harrow and roll this week! Mine is very grass sensitive too so I am more than ok with no rain. Sorry folks.

Reactions: TPO

Tarragon

Visit site
yes please!
Normally at this time of year we have too much grass and the ponies are restricted to a small area. The grass hasn't really started growing properly yet and their "small" area is already twice the size it is normally.

Visit site
Yes and I have been all winter! Most of our winter runners havent ran as they should because the ground has been too quick! Perth races are rattling and will be watering for next week, Ayr is normally a bottomless pit of mud - they have been watering this winter its stupid!

And they have just started planting loads of tatties in the fields half way to the gallops and on both sides of the gallops! If it doesnt rain the water cannons are coming out ... that really isnt fun!

SamBean

Visit site
Yes please in next couple of weeks, ground ok at the moment and hoping the warm weekend will boost the grass but want it to keep growing and shut off the smaller field for summer.

exracehorse

Visit site
My summer paddocks look exackly the same as last April. They are not growing. It’s been too cold with little or no rain. I’ve already stocked up with hay as unless something amazing happens within the next 6 weeks, I will not have enough grazing

SEL

Visit site
The fields need it. The Ardennes wants more grass. The Appy is expanding even in her diet paddock.

We're on clay and its got big cracks across it where it has dried out in the gateways.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Just enough to wash the till in the fields so the horses can get turned out. It hasn't rained since the YO tilled the fields. After that it can stop again, thanks.

whiteflower

Visit site
We desperately need rain. We suffered with over 10 weeks of no rain last summer and it took a lot out of the grazing. The fields that have been rested since November have not come back enough to graze yet so they are all being kept on their bald winter grazing with hay currently. We are not predicted any rain for another 2 weeks at least.
The winter grazing is now overgrazed and wrecked and will need some serious attention when they come off it.
We try and look after our land to reduce erosion and help increase soil fertility but the weather the last few years, going from swamp conditions to the Sahara within a year and now no rain to speak of this spring is making life very difficult and expensive

blitznbobs

Visit site
That’s a no from me - it’s gorgeous here and I love the sun- we had a good soaking on Tuesday which will do til after the bank hols thanks a lot

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Rain forecast for most of the country around the 24th and looks like there'll be a few days of it... We're getting some tomorrow. I'd rather not have the grass but the school could do with a dampen down. Obviously forecast could be wrong.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Yes please! I don’t need any more grass but the ground is too hard for my arthritic pony to do anything other than walk except in the school so I could use a bit of rain!