anyone else regularly get their horses 'MOT' and trot up 4 vet?

j1ffy

Visit site
Mine have regular 'maintenance' physio (physio is based at the yard and a good friend so very convenient!) and she will regularly watch them walked and trotted up, working in circles and straight lines. My vets trust her opinion and she will always refer a horse that is unsound, as has happened with my boy this week! The vet has asked her to check him in a week rather than me having to pay for another call-out, which works well for all of us.

ihatework

Visit site
My Vets do a competition horse package for £150 inclusive of VAT which includes:
Call out, orthopaedic exam incl flexion, heart/eye/lung check, teeth rasp incl sedation, worm count, full blood profile which is, IMO great value. So for around £200 for a full MOT plus vaccs per year

I.M.N.

Visit site
Nope, as my insurance would probably use it as an excuse to exclude every hair on their body. I had a pin worm test done (due to a suspicion) it came back clear and they still tried to exclude it.

Bernster

Visit site
Not as such but farrier and physio/chiro do trot up, and yard lunges him regularly plus I have regular lessons and he's ridden by an experienced rider. Reckon with all that going, we should pick up any issues - and it has worked so far in picking up little niggles which we've sorted. Slight change in performance recently so I got all checks re done and found some minor stuff like teeth needing doing so I feel like I'm pretty good at making sure he's in good health. The yard does regular worm counts and weigh ins too.

amandaco2

Visit site
My Vets do a competition horse package for £150 inclusive of VAT which includes:
Call out, orthopaedic exam incl flexion, heart/eye/lung check, teeth rasp incl sedation, worm count, full blood profile which is, IMO great value. So for around £200 for a full MOT plus vaccs per year

wow that is good value!

one of my horses checked up at the MOT was not sound behind. took her in for lameness work up the next day and she's actually lame on all 4 feet due to a hoof imbalance, which has caused gradual suspensory damage in fronts plus a tendon tear in his hind digital flexor... so glad I got her checked! imagine the damage if I hadn't!!