Anyone else started using a fly mask yet?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Sam has his on for the first time today.

When I went down to catch him last night, he was rubbing his ears on me! gave them a good scratch and he loved it!! this usualy means that the bugs are getting in his ears, think we get extra bugs as the field is next to a river!! so I have a horse in a fly mask but still turned out on mud!! such a random combination!

Jo1987

Visit site
Yep, pony has mild sweet itch and gets very itchy around his ears and forelock so he's got a fly mask and a medium combo turnout on!

WelshD

Visit site
Yes, pony had it on when he was turned out Saturday morning

I dug it out of the mud later that same day

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Yes, pony had it on when he was turned out Saturday morning

I dug it out of the mud later that same day

hahah I expect I will be doing the same tonight!

Was quite funny, I had to find it this morning, there was me with 2 horses in hand, half hanging out of a wheely bin trying to reach down to the bottom to get it!!
I didn't even think that Sam's buddy would be scared of wheely bins, which he was but luckily didn't have too much of a paddy!

atropa

Visit site
Not quite yet but probably soon! Want to order a pretty Weatherbeeta purple one I've seen but not sure if the colour will actually attract them?

Pedantic

Visit site
I try to not use one unless really needed, then I take it off at night as I don't want him injuring himself, at the moment I use Nettex itch stop cream around his chops and eyes etc as the midges hate it, when the bigger flies come into season the ones that sit sucking on the horses eyes, then he will have a fly mask on in the daytime, when the blood sucking mozzies come into season then fly sheet comes out as well.

AppyLover

Visit site
My boys has his on a few times but more for him to remember what it is so we don't have the freaking out and charging around with a half done up fly mask all summer again but once it gets sunny for more than a day he will be forced into it for the summer :)

Silmarillion

Visit site
Not yet, but only because my mum has been doing them - I would have had them on already!
I used to try not to put them on too much or too early, but then my mum got a particularly sensitive pony who would be almost impossible to catch by autumn if she'd not had her face protected. Made me realise that it's best to put them on, even if you do have to scrape mud off them for the first month or so! It can make such a difference.