anyone else with a troublesome horse!!!

alfirules

Visit site
well, one of the horses i ride and look after manages to get himself in a lot of trouble. his owner got him 9 months ago an so far he's managed this list of problems:

* on day one he cut his own leg by kicking himself (hind leg caught other hind leg) and he had to have an emergency tetanus jab.

* he then managed to twist his fetlock which swelled up and he had to have a couple of weeks off work.

* he then got a splint and has had to have nearly 3 months off. ( he wasnt worked too hard he it was just cos the grond was so dry this summer)

* he chases my pony in the field who kicked him and he got another cut on his leg.

* he got his leg stuck in a fence and ripped off his shoe.

*he got a hoof abcess and had to have another 3 weeks off.

* a few weeks ago he lost his front shoe and managed to get it wrapped around his hind fetlock, one end of shoe jammed in coronet band, the other jammed in frog. it was impossible to get off so we had vet out to sedate him and we had to call the fire brigade out to bring their massive bolt cutters to cut shoe offas it was the only way of removing it!!

* most recently (xmas day) i looked out the window and realised he was the other side of the valley (not where he was supposed to be!) eating in someones garden. so i had to runand get him! he had got in the river at the bottom of the field, walked through the stream, (he is normally terrified of water) and jumped a fence which from the stream is roughly 5ft high!! he got his back leg scagged on the fence and gave him self another massive cut and a swollen leg, so again he is off work!!

on top of all that he has demolished a whole fence from top to bottom! and he has ripped down the electric fence which keeps my pony in his diet pen in summer and broken lots of plastic posts. he also jumps electric fences if you try to keep him in one!!

let me add this horse passed a 5 star vetting before his owner brought him!

so has anyone else got a horse like this!??

thanks for reading, apologies for it being so long!

fizz-tally

Visit site
yip my retired tb,she has everything known to man wrong with her & a few undiscovered too
grin.gif

alfirules

Visit site
well he came from a dealer so that just about explains everthing, lol! hes only a baby tho at 5! he is really sweet though and is lovely to ride!

Blizzard

Visit site
OMG!
shocked.gif

what a little monkey!

Sorry I know its not funny but to have to call the fire brigade out, Ive never heard a horse get into so much trouble!!

siennamum

Visit site
Sienna kicked herself, trying to kick another horse - thought she was the only one that stoopid!!!! (she did it the night before Longleat horse trials...grr)

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
got a TB just like it, in the two years ive had him he has managed to do the following:
get his shoe half off then tred on it going through the sole
get a the biggest splint when all he was doing was gentle hacking
get lymphangitis
laminitis( how still no idea!)
get himself kicked in the side, and made us think it was the end
fall over in the field and damage both hind suspenseries and his achillies tendon
mysterious muscle wastage on one hind quarter poss linked to old fracture
plus lots of cuts and kicks as cant resist a fight!
funnily enough we are contemplating retirment!

Bex7

Visit site
LOL Bert is just like that.....

JJ actually asked me once if I would be better off with a goldfish
smile.gif
(that was on a summer evening spent cutting him free from sheep fencing!)

Bert managed to get kicked, bitten, wedged in fencing, lame a few times, COPD related outbursts and infection in the odd wound!

Touch wood since the end of the summer he has been good, no drama's or illnesses....very odd in a good way.

However he is now going through the "winter charlie big potatoes" at the moment and chucking the odd buck and bounce around! (workign on the energy in vs energy out balance atm)

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Oh yes!! Fred suffers from separation anxiety! Now he has loads of new mates (was on his own with pony before) he hates coming in to be ridden, stresses himself silly until the bridle is on then falls asleep.

Naps for the whole hack! walks 100 miles an hour on the way back! tries to booger off when being turned out, when you do let him go he literally thunders up the field screaming to his friends!!

I had to laugh this morning, he is getting better but mad as a box of frogs sometimes!

barkinghorse

Visit site
OH YES!!
WIlliam has done far too much two himself in the last two years for me to write down!
The most severe being cracking his skull.......TWICE!!
When he comes in from the field (suited and booted, may i add)
It's a case of WHERE he is cut, not IF he's cut
Won't say thats T.B.s for you, as my old mare never had much wrong with her...
Jo

Farm Kat

Visit site
Mine has hopefuly grown out of his sily antics. But I was chatting to my instructor (when I do ride hehe) and I said he was now sound, after over a year off, and I was going to bring him back into work, she laughed and said, 'why? so he can injure himself and go lame again?' which is 100% true, he's 8, but has the miles of a 4YO as he's never managed a year in work!

Twiglet

Visit site
My friend's TB is the quietest most laidback fella on the planet, but more accident/injury and illness prone than any animal I've ever known.

In two years he's had numerous back problems, colic three times, loses shoes on a very regular basis, cross country accident meaning a couple of months off work, had an accident with an electric fence in the summer meaning 4 months box rest with an horrific hock injury, now he's mildy lame with no specified cause.

alfirules

Visit site
so he's not the only one then! just wanted to know as he's the only horse i have known to get himself in soo much trouble! its so annoying cos he's in work for a week and then he does something else!

alfirules

Visit site
this horse hasnt had a month yet when he hasnt done something! he is also very good to ride even after having 3 months off he still doesnt put a foot wrong when you ride him! i feel sorry for his owner tho cos she gets all the vets bills!