Anyone Else With A Wopper Flu?

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I felt like just a cold for a few days so minded myself but had extra to do as hubby went down pretty hard with a nasty flu and respiratory infection. I was fine and then on Wednesday evening all the sudden I wasn't. The lung infection hit me hard. We are both now on antibiotics only because it did go into the chest. I have zero energy and feel like I've been run over by a bus. My husband is feeling a bit better thankfully as he's had it much longer. I couldn't do the horses if he wasn't here. Or real slow!

He says to me after this morning. Your mare is in a terrible mood. She doesn't like when you're not around. That's because she's spoiled. Probably not a good thing!

Anyway, anyone else fighting a flu so early? Also my farrier says people are really in a bad way with this. Needless to say I won't be seeing him til Monday.

Terri

Always Henesy

Visit site
Yes! I understand how you feel right now. I have had the most awful cold for the best part of a week. This lead to a horrible chesty cough and shortness of breath.
I was told yesterday that I have Pneumonia :(

So I am on horse tranquiliser sized anti B's and have been instructed to REST (ha ha ha ha ha ha)
I have 3 children, 2 horses, 2 dogs and a part time job. Fat chance of that happening.:rolleyes:

If the meds don't help after 5-6 days then I will probably have to be hospitalised.

I feel terrible and the pain in my chest and the constant coughing is making me very miserable :(

Hope you feel better soon xx

fallenangel123

Visit site
Guys please take care of yourselves, do the bare minimum and ask for help so you can rest properly.
Christmas before last I soldiered on with flu and was getting better when I collapsed. Two hours later I was on life support with total respiratory failure, my heart was failing and my kidneys were beginning to struggle. My husband and four young children went through Christmas with my odds of surviving it less than 50%!
I'm a tough old bird tho and did, obviously! I was fit, usually healthy and no other problems but it knocked me on my ass so quickly it was unbelievable!
So all of you that are ill, get yourselves wrapped up on the sofa with a good box set and do only things that desperately must be done, everything else can wait!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
FA, thank you for this reminder. I'm being taken care of well. We are doing the barest of minimums. The horses will survive without getting brushed and ridden for the week. They get fed, stables mucked, in at night. The dogs and cats are pretty easy and thankfully no kids.

Everyone take care and heed FA's warning.

Terri

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Yes! I understand how you feel right now. I have had the most awful cold for the best part of a week. This lead to a horrible chesty cough and shortness of breath.
I was told yesterday that I have Pneumonia :(
OMG I had that when I had flu after I lost my mum and I was just all in. Please do take care as I went to 6 stone (normal then was 7.7 to 8) with a collapsed lung to boot. Please do take care.

Always Henesy

Visit site
OMG I had that when I had flu after I lost my mum and I was just all in. Please do take care as I went to 6 stone (normal then was 7.7 to 8) with a collapsed lung to boot. Please do take care.

I am trying to take things easy, but unfortunately I don't have any family to help. My husband does what he can, but there is only so much time he can take off to take care of our children so I can rest.
I am exhausted and have scared myself half to death reading all about Pneumonia and how long it takes to recover :(
I am genuinely quite frightened - especially as I have smoked for 25 years. I have stopped the smoking as my GP basically told me that the Pneumonia could kill me if I didn't stop.
I am now terrified that I am developing COPD or worse.
Stupid stupid AH :(
It could take up to 6 months for me to get back to normal apparently.

I suppose the good thing about getting this is for the 1st time in 25 years I have gone completely cold turkey on the fags.

Lets hope we all make a complete recovery and fast. x

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I must be getting better as I'm very cranky this morning. I'm not allowed to be in the barn other than bringing the cooked part of the feeds out to the barn. It's for the best I suppose. Last night was my first decent night sleep.

A hint if you must be in the barn, face mask. Even if you don't have allergies, lungs are inflamed and most likely will react to all the dust. Just helps out a little until your back normal again.

Terri

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Aww, MM that is awesome. Maybe we could have a little "help" thread within reason. I know that we will help out others in the horse community that need that extra time getting better ect. And when my husband was in Saudi I had help if I needed it.

Would be a great idea to help people for even just a couple of hours so they can rest easy.

Terri

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Amongst other things you can take get yourself some Zinc lozenges, will help knock the flu out.
I take 25 mg of Zinc in tablet form everyday and I haven't had a proper cold or flu in years, despite being in contact with LOADS of people who have them.
The Zinc builds up your immune system allowing your body to fend off viruses.
If I feel I am getting a cold (sore throat etc) it lasts no more than a few hours and by the next day I am as right as rain again, try it.
Hope you feel better soon, Oz

Always Henesy

Visit site
Yikes! Hope all recover very quickly and well!

AH where in the country are you? If you're near me I can organize to help out at least a bit!

Aw bless you MrsM that is very kind.
I am in East Sussex so probably too far away from you but I really appreciate the thought. :)

My boys are still out 24/7 so not too much work except for feeds twice daily and rugs on at night. But just walking from one end of the house to the other is hard work at the moment.
My husband has bought me a humidifier and an electronic cigarette (in case I get nicotine withdrawals).

Actually the children are harder work than the animals :D

Terri - I am pleased that you feel marginally better. :)

Wishing us all a speedy recovery. x