Anyone elses fields closed yet?

K9Wendy

Visit site
frown.gif
unfortunately ours closed on Thursday, about 8 weeks early! We have had so much rain it's not surprising the fields are in such a state, and the horses seem to spend hours just galloping and having a ball...

Turnout now is 6 hrs per day into rubber paddock, no hay. They generally lie around, scratch, wander up to each other but when they get bored after a few weeks rug ripping is order of the day!!

I was thinking of suggesting that instead of no turnout the horses were divided into groups of 5 (15 horses, 10 geldings, 5 mares) so that each group could be turned into field each day, so you would get out every third day. Therefore minimising the damage, but still having some turnout.

Has anybody any better suggestions? I'm not moving yards, all yards round us are the same, and this is in all other repects a fantastic yard.

miamibear

Visit site
I think the rubber paddock idea is great but you must give your horses something to eat!

Unless ive misunderstood. They are grazing animals and withdrawing food for 6 hours could cause colic and bad behaviour and make the horses really poorly - could you put a bale of hay in for them?

K9Wendy

Visit site
I think in the past when hay went in it was worse as they would fight over it! The paddock is beside a row of stable windows and there is a small amount of hay dropped out by horses that they nibble, and there is grass round the edge they nibble on, just not a big bale of hay!

miamibear

Visit site
I see the point but horses not having any normal amount of roughage for 6 hours would worry the hell out of me!

They are more likely to bolt their food when they do get some.

I do think the rubbe surface is a great idea but i would want hay in there!!

BTW ours are still out 24/7 but it wont be long before they are in on a night! Will keep them out on a day as long as the YO allows
wink.gif
grin.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Nope, ours is never closed, turnout is 24/7 year round. The gateway and haying/water area does get boggy but that's nothing really, as they horses have plenty of space so rarely have to stand in mud. And there's plenty of grass.

RobinHood

Visit site
Nope, I would never keep my horses somewhere where they couldn't run around and eat grass like horses are supposed to. Yes the fields get muddy but the horses are happy, and I;d rather have a happy horse than a pretty field.

Happytohack

Visit site
My lot are now in at night and out in the day. At the moment, we have loads of grass. They go out everyday in the winter. We keep a paddock especially for the winter so that at the end of the bad weather, it is quite muddy but it soon recovers. I always put hay out in the winter so they have something to nibble on when the grass is all gone. I am sure horses prefer to go out and stretch their legs rather than be stuck in 24/7. Don't like the idea of horses not having access to forage for 6 hours.

siennamiller

Visit site
I agree with everyone else, I would not turn out my horse for that length of time with no food. I am not suprised they are scrapping. They are bored and grumpy and hungry. Mine are out every single day in winter regardless but if I was in this situation I would rather keep my horses in
just MHO
smile.gif

MiffyH

Visit site
Not closed yet, but we have individual paddocks, so with yesterdays rain my mare was in, want her to have grass through the winter.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Suprisingly not closed yet, I did wonder after yesterdays rain as my yard can be rather over protective of fields! Hoping we last untill at least end Oct like last year. I think your idea is pretty good they do that a lot round my way where we struggle to get all round turnout. Only problem with some horses is they go a bit mad when they are allowed out to play after being without for a few days. I can sympathise with you it is hard.