Anyone elses horses up on their toes at the minute?

black_horse

Visit site
Dee is feeling very fresh at the moment :D. Shes very snorty and up on her toes at the moment, i was wondering if anyone else was suffering any hi-jinx?

We snorted for the first 10 minutes of schooling today, and jogged out hacking :D

Special pone

paddi22

Visit site
i feel your pain! My lad has turned into a monster the last week. He had never bucked before on me, and now i get a full blast of them in canter, and it's pure high spirits! i want my old horse back!

black_horse

Visit site
I dont know but i have noticed that the unclipped parts of dee are moulting! (notibly her ears :D bless)

She feels like a bag of hormones at the moment, might buy her a bar of galaxy, put bridget jones diary on tv and tell her to put her feet up :D

debsg

Visit site
I wish! My TB is so laid back, she could do with a bolt of lightning up her arse tbh :D
Fat coblet, on the other hand, is raring to go!
Lol@ Black_Horse :D

kateknights

Visit site
Yes, he's had a personality transplant, he does every winter, as not excercised as much as he needs, he loves his work! He feels like a bomb about to erupt at any moment! Which is nice!

CeeBee

Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one. My Harvey usually has only one pace - slow, but he bucked me off last Sunday and galloped flat out all the way home. It's rare for him to break into a trot!

black_horse

Visit site
Delicia is naturally forward going but you know when there ears arent just forwards they are very very far forwards, spooky forwards and the moment of realisation when you think "oh crap im sitting on top of this volcano?" :D yep pretty much us...

i have some calmer for our affilated stressage test tomorrow.

lottie940

Visit site
Yep, my friends has even started rearing and bucking!!! We have come to the conclusion that there is more in the grass that we give it credit for due to the mild winter. The grass hasn't really stopped growing over my way and of course they are all having winter feed rations and hay and they are not really burning it off keeping warm!

Toast

Visit site
Mine has also had his winter personality transplant. He's like a timebomb and you could be standing minding your own business on the yard or switching the lunge line over whilst lunging and we'll launch ourself into orbit.
Todays lunging session went quite nicely, though we have to make sure we can have the school to ourself and theres no other horse in the vacinity or its game over. So there we are trotting quite sweetly, showing bags of improvement, going really nice and light in hand.. not pulling on the lunge line for once.. and then one of the other girls brought a horse out of the stable and into his view. Cue accelerator and an impressive display of corkscrew bucks, bronks and a screaming at the top of his lungs.
So we settle down eventually, eyes still on stalks... til a cat jumps off the shed roof next to the arena...and off we go again....

Never a dull moment having youngsters in winter.. im gonna wear gloves tomorrow!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I just got out of the yard gate when horse leaped forward into a gallop. After several strides I managed to stop her. Let her stand for a few minutes snorting and getting it out of her system.

On way up track to school, she started to trot and was sooo bouncy. :p Then she decided sod this, and took off up the track. We bounced for 5 minutes around the school, snorting before managing to walk and behave sedately.

Can't beat a Native, eh :)

Chestersmummy

Visit site
Yes but I think thats because I've been on holiday so hes not been ridden for 6 days, and mum didn't have chance to lunge him.
Took him out this morning and he thought that every gateway was going to kill him!

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I'm glad it's not just my horse either! I went out on a hack with two other friends and we started trotting to get out of the way of a car when my normally calm TB, tried to canter past everyone on the street!

My friend tried to "inform" me, that my horse "needs less schooling in the menage and more work with hacking out". LOL, whatever, i know it's the weather, the grass, still being on winter rations and probably coming into season. I'm going to take her for a gallop tomorrow to get it out of her system and probably start to cut slowly down on the winter feed.

black_horse

Visit site
I was wondering if its the grass fructose levels due to the reasonably mild winter? Delicia is just about managable but i have a show tomorrow...calmer it is....ACP will be ok right? ;)

Shantara

Visit site
Yes. Stupid bleddy horse has decided gallop is the best gait to approach a jump. I was doing so well with him and everything's ruined >: (
Still a plod out on hacks though, thank goodness! (Well, I say a plod, I mean he's well behaved.)

Roll on my driving test so I can work on him properly.

goodtimes

Visit site
This is my first winter with this horse - bloody nightmare. Up on his toes, everything is sooooo scarey.

Get him in the school though and for the first five minutes I struggle to get him thinking forward - he is too busy spooking at absolutely nothing.

Blaise

Visit site
Glad im not on my own! My girl came off box rest last week so expected her to be sharp when I rode again last week but she was a star. Now shes been back on grass for a few weeks shes been an absolute nightmare to ride today. Running off, constantly on her toes and not listening to me at all. I definitley think theres more in the grass than I've been giving it credit for...

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, my normally laid-back, sensible Shire-TBX has gotten a little silly. The upside is she has lots of impulsion if you can direct it. The downside is that she wants to be a nut. Some years she gets a case of "spring fever" in March or so and is hot and on her toes for a couple weeks, especially on hacks. Seems to be early onset this year.

I'm glad it's not just her. :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
nope he is just coming back from 3 months off and hacked 3 times last week and has been good as gold, he has obviously nicked all the other halos!

Tinsel Town

Visit site
yes all the ponios on the yard seem to have got the imaginary wind up their arses, dont know where its come from, theyve all been so good this winter so far too! a couple doors down's horses were tearing around like no-bodys business as well! they've gone cuckoo! lol!! :D

Jesstickle

Visit site
Mine are blooming horrible at the moment. Fine to ride but vile to do. Both of them have been bitey and bargy and have been pulling faces for the last week. It's because it's wet and they have to get their feet muddy and there is no grass. Roll on spring!

cob&onion

Visit site
Do you know what i have bought my youngster back into work over the past 3 weeks and the last 3 - 4 times i have ridden her she has been really tempremental, nappy, spooking and jumping (shes never ever like this normally) and very very energetic - really stepping out. Our usual route of 20 mins is now taking us 10 mins!! Could just be shes getting fitter but i have noticed the other 2 being more lively in the field than normal too.............
HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Yes mine are all seemingly full of it at the moment, especially when first turned out lol.
Maybe it is because of the mild winter and the sun shining a lot ( even though we have had rain as well), grass seems good up here so maybe tricked into thinking it is Spring?