Anyone else's TB going crazy!

marion95

Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a marked change in their horse's behaviour since the weather has turned and more time is spent being stabled/fed hard feed?

My mare is usually so chilled and relaxed - but recently she is wild! Spooky, fizzy, restless when being tacked up etc - nothing dangerous, but just out of character. I am feeding her speedi beat, calm and condition cubes, cool mix and Alpha A oil. Really don't want to cut her feed down as she can't afford to lose any weight.

Don't remember her being like this last year!

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
She does sound like she's getting a lot of feed - unless she's hunting?
Couldn't you cut out the cool mix and introduce oil instead? Try to go for high fibre to keep her gut healthier - You could also try a digestive soother to see if this helps her behaviour during the transition from summer diet to winter regime?
Kate x

marion95

Visit site
Forgot to say she's getting oil too! She doesn't have massive scoops of everything, but maybe I could try cutting it down - just don't want her losing weight now or she won't put it on again 'til next year.

She is ridden everyday and competing regularly.

Sparklet

Visit site
My 16.3 7/8 TB is on speedibeet, quiet pencils, readigrass - scoop of each twice a day along with ad-lib hay and is still a good girl. I weigh-tape her regularly and would just increase all of portions a bit if she dropped off. She would be wappy on your horses diet.

She is ridden every day and competes once a week.

bandit

Visit site
does seem alot of feed IMO... also the recent warmer weather meant a last ditch attempt with good grazing.
is she also getting different hay and in larger amounts - it may have a higher starch content...

alpha A sends some horses bonkers too - if it's new htis year, change to Hi Fi - I had to with my mare after she put me in hospital!!!

good luck.

monica123

Visit site
my TB mare is a bit loopy anyway, but recently going CRAZY! lol......i dont feed her ANYTHING, well obvi hay, she lives out, has always lived out....my theory is it is the weather changes
x

marion95

Visit site
Maybe it is the Aplha A then. That's the only thing that's different from last year. She had mollichaff instead last year.

She is still getting the same haylage ec, but there is a lot of grass in her field, so that may have something to do with it as well!

Sparklet

Visit site
Haylage too
shocked.gif
- hold onto your hat girl
crazy.gif

samp

Visit site
My mare is on 2 scoops Alfa-Oil, scoop pasture mix, 1/2 scoop SAracen releve and sugar beet. She is competed once a week and schooled/ hacked the rest - she is naturally lazy yet spooky and this hasn't sent her loopy.

marion95

Visit site
Ha! No choice unfortunately at my yard!

Think I will perhaps rethink the diet a little though. Too late for the hunter trial on Saturday though - will definitely be holding on to my hat!

sevenoceans

Visit site
17 hands, TB Exracer.... double handful alfa Oil, one stubbs scoop calm and condition, 1 stubbs of meadow mix per day Splint in 3 feeds along with linseed ready cooked, garlic, seaweed, and global mud X... he's quiet as mouse... adlib hay.

He was bit aloof last week when the grazing has become too much so he only goes out short times until grazing has lost it's sweetness...

Stopped giving Speedi beet as he won't eat his food
He's nightmare to keep weight on.. i rather him little bit too fresh (he's manageable and not silly) than cut his food as he really needs it as he's hunting soon.

marion95

Visit site
Really? thought the unmollassed stuff was supposed to be less heating? Well she was on the normal stuff last year, so maybe that's where I'm going wrong?!

SillyMare

Visit site
Both my TBs absolutely fine at the moment (one ex-racer and one eventer).

Each working fairly hard (but not hunting) and eating a scoop of nuts (ordinary ones) 3x a day, plus a bit of chaff, foot supplement and elecrolytes as required.

UKa

community.webshots.com
no idea, it is what I thought but I took her off the speedibeet and she was back to normal then it may have been something else but I dont touch the stuff anymore.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
My mare goes mental on any type of beet - mollassed or otherwise - I know if she's had a handful fed to her as she changes dramatically goes very fizzy and spooky!
frown.gif

Kate x

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Finni has also gone a bit loop the loop recently.

Don't think you're feeding too much.

Finni has 2 feeds of:

1/2 scoop unmolassed chaff
1/3 scoop unmolassed s/b
1/2 scoop working horse cubes
100 mls soya oil
fennel seed

Plus a snack ball with half a scoop of cubes.

This was recommended by a nutitionist as being correct for his work load - at least an hour a day of schooling/hacking/jumping and competing each weekend.

Clodagh

Visit site
Alpha A has sent all my horses hypo, I now feed hi fi and lots of oil.
They can then go onto Alpha A when its Jan and they are hunting 3 days a fortnight.
smile.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
Alfa A sent my TB totally off his rocker - not that it takes a lot! Also just done it to a warmblood at my yard too........I think some can cope with the extra energy it provides, but it turned mine into a psycho stresshead (inc crib biting, so think it didn't agree with his tummy either).

Haylege did similar and produced azoturia-type symptoms, which he's prone to, because of the extra sugars.

I find lots of Hi Fi Lite, big splash of soya oil, equivite and good quality hay/grazing works a treat - he looks about half his age (16) and has a gleaming coat, and healthy steady weight.

ljubb

Visit site
What was she on last year? If that worked y change, in some of your messages you have said 'i changed that from last year maybe thats it'.

My mare came from the track about 4 months ago and could not bare being in the stable, was fine in every other way. We put her on Nupafeed - magnesium supplement and she has completly chilled out now.

They need magnesium to counter act adrenaline, so when she got stressed she had an imbalance in her calcium/magensium levels which meant that as the adrenaline was pumping around her body she was burning off more magnesium and therefore coundn't bring herself back down from her tantrum.

Good luck.

filly190

Visit site
Yes, my T.B's have just come in at night this last week and are full of themselves. When I catch them at night, they are really playing me up, galloping round with tails in the air all excited and fighting about who is coming in first.

This usually happens until the routine and pecking order or who comes in, in what order establishes itself.

marion95

Visit site
As I've already said in my previous posts, the only thing I've changed this year is feeding Alpha A oil instead of mollichaff.

This was because I was told it was better for conditioning and ws also told (by the feed merchants) that Alpha A oil had less sugar in.

Oh and speedibeet instead of normal sugarbeet, but that's for convenience and has less sugar anyway.

aran

community.webshots.com
mine has lost the plot and hes on hay and happy hoof! there's still grass coming through and he's acting like an oversensitive prat (usually a complete mule!)

(just a thought though - you could get rid of one of the mixes - you dont need both. if fact most shouldnt be mixed with others or straights as they have been formulated to be complete and adding to them can unbalance things!)