Anyone ever had trouble loading into a 3.5t VAN type box?

Julia0803

Visit site
Hi all,

My husband nearly knocked me for six last week by finally agreeing that we can look into getting a box this summer!!! Hooray! I am currently towing- or not actually currently as I hate it so much I tend to only go to events we are desperate to attend. I get more nervous about the driving and then parking than the blooming stressage test at the end of it!

So doing lots of googling and using the search facility here, I think the best value for money way of doing this for us is probably to look at a van conversion, either a new conversion, or a second hand one through a reputable dealer. Through reading, I think the places to look will be Travel two, Marlborough, Three counties, Equisport as these seem to have pretty good reviews. Anyone know of any safe, recommended companies closer to Herts? If you have heard anything bad about the above companies can you pls PM me.

It occurred to me that I don't know if Pony has ever been in a van type box. I have travelled him in a 3.5t Equitrek and a Boss box and he walked on both times no problem. He has travelled happily in an Ifor 505, and I travel him in my rice pony trailer, which he goes on ok, usually needs my son to walk ahead of him with some food for that as he prefers a little more space. I was just thinking, I guess, particularly for the second horse getting on, that there may not be a huge amount of room to get in and immediately turn? Has anyone had problems with this before?

He travels well in everything and never hear a peep out of him. He is a 14.2 cob, weighing 450kg. Nine times out of ten it will just be him on his own, plus myself and son, usual tack going to PC rallies, local shows and dressage. I would like the option to be able to take friends 14.3/15h tbxconnie who weighs in at about 475kg on occasion, although I appreciate we would have to travel light, and possibly have someone else drive and bring tack etc. If I understand correctly, the van type tend to have a bigger payload than the coach built, with three counties i think quoting up to 1300kg, so hopefully giving us enough weight to play with.

Many Thanks,

Julia

webble

Visit site
Payload wise you should be ok. If your payload is 1200 then 2 x 450kg ponies = 900kg 1/2 tank fuel is approx 45kg 2 people @ 70 kgs (11 stone) = 140kg leaving you around 100kg for tack. What I would say though is make sure you get it weighed or a weigh cert before you buy

Yes I have had a couple that wouldn't load but one was 16.2 and was probably a bit big really which may be why and the other two were both quirky mares who are a bit odd about loading full stop

Bernster

Visit site
Got mine from Foxy Twin and really rate it. Most load from the off side, so sometimes horses have had to get used to that, and the 2nd horse on has to turn into the space quite quickly. But saying that, haven't had any major issues with travelling any so far, although most have been good loaders generally. Should be even easier with ponies.

Agree with getting confirmation of the payload as those with lots of added extras can really eat up your 'allowance'. One friend got hers checked and she only had 800kg payload !

I got mine uprated to 3.9t and have just over 1.4t payload which is fab.

webble

Visit site
Got mine from Foxy Twin and really rate it. Most load from the off side, so sometimes horses have had to get used to that, and the 2nd horse on has to turn into the space quite quickly. But saying that, haven't had any major issues with travelling any so far, although most have been good loaders generally. Should be even easier with ponies.

Agree with getting confirmation of the payload as those with lots of added extras can really eat up your 'allowance'. One friend got hers checked and she only had 800kg payload !

I got mine uprated to 3.9t and have just over 1.4t payload which is fab.

OP this is a brilliant idea but don't forget if you do this you need to have the correct licence and I 'think' it would then require plating instead of an mot (but check that)

Julia0803

Visit site
OP this is a brilliant idea but don't forget if you do this you need to have the correct licence and I 'think' it would then require plating instead of an mot (but check that)

Yes, I am pretty sure that is the case.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I *think* he will probably be fine, but lord help me if I raid the piggy bank and then he won't load into the damn thing! :p

wench

Visit site
Yes I'd say hire one for the day. For the sake of £200 or what ever they may cost you will find out if he likes them or not!

Bernster

Visit site

Thanks, I'm an oldie so the license thing wasn't an issue, although it has meant some of my younger mates can't borrow it. Slightly concerning re the MOT - I have generally had it plated but the last time round I used a different garage and they said it only needed an MOT. Am off to check my paperwork now !

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I bought mine from The Horsebox Co nr Baldock. Its a 3.5 renault master van and perfect for me and my one pony. Because we only ever travel one we have put basic day living in the back. I would say you will be very close to being overweight with 2 ponies that size plus fuel, even with just the driver. That said, I love mine, it loads from the nearside, really nice low ramp which pony hops up by himself, super easy to drive and park on my own, really economical on fuel and pony travels well in it, because its low to the ground it feels very stable on the road. I was like you, had a 4x4 and trailer but hated using it so managed to convince hubby a small lorry was the way forward, best thing I did.

fairyclare

Visit site
I have got a Vauxhall Movano van type 3.5t, nice and basic inside so we have 1300kg payload.
I love mine, never had a horse not load as the ramp is very low and the box itself is very light and airy.
On measuring it and comparing it to my friends beautiful, very expensive 'brand' horsebox, mine actually has more room/length for the horses.

I have travelled 2x 16hh lightweights together for a very very short journey but as a rule I just take 1 and all the gear.

I have been away for weekends and stayed in it, its not built for living in but I don't mind roughing it for a few nights in the name of pony camping, lol.

Whereabouts in the country are you OP?

muckypony

Visit site
Yes I have one and mime is bad to load. That said, I've never travelledhim in anything else so it might not be the box.

I often notice at showgrounds that those having difficulty loading are those loading into van type boxes.

Julia0803

Visit site
FairyClaire, thank you that's very sweet of you. I'll look into seeing if I can find a company that hire them out- most of the local self hire boxes are coach built 3.5t, not the van type. I think I'll need to google. :)

Hmmm... def think trying him in one first will be the best idea.

teresagarsden

Visit site
I have a 3.5 tonne Marlborough on a Renault master. Its old on a p.reg. but it's the best box I have ever had. Out of my 3 horses 2 were not great loaders but after a few journeys in the new box never a problem since.
I often travel my 15 hh welsh cob and 12hh pony and both travel so well now.
Good luck finding the right box I travelled 350 miles for mine. :0)