Anyone feed naked oats?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm looking for a very calorie-dense straight (no mixes or cubes) food that's high in protein for my TB. Does anyone feed naked oats? Are they worth the extra money? He's doing great on grass pellets but they have to be soaked and they blow up into the most enormous feeds and I'm trying to cut down how long it takes him to eat, as he's a slow eater anyway.

ycbm

Visit site
Amazon, of all places 25kg 15.99 delivered. Also an online feed store, but £2 more expensive.

I'll swap you that info for the dressing gown ??

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Have you tried rolled oats?
Most of our local tack shops/feed merchants keep a bag in stock or can get them easy enough and not ad expensive as naked oats?
Same digestible energy but higher in fibre

ycbm

Visit site
Have you tried rolled oats?
Most of our local tack shops/feed merchants keep a bag in stock or can get them easy enough and not ad expensive as naked oats?
Same digestible energy but higher in fibre

Thanks, but I'm trying to get rid of the fibre to keep the volume down. He gets ad lib forage for fibre, I need protein and calories.

ycbm

Visit site
Why do you want to speed up eating?

Because I have to wait for him to eat so I can move him to where he needs to be for the day or night. He's a very slow eater, and he loves his food sloppy. Grass nuts turn into a huge feed when soaked!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did do many years ago. Started with a but but he ended up on a couple of pounds a feed X 2 a day. It did not make him fizzy, can't say he packed weight on either though...

Prefer Thrive for weight gain so stopped using naked oats. Thrive gives them the appetite of a, well a horse, so they wolf it down.

quizzie

Visit site
Can you get micronised naked flaked oats near you ? ....they would do the job....or consider progressive earth tri amino or whey protein isolate if you just need the protein....has done wonders for my giant who couldn't digest/tolerate micronised linseed.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Thanks, but I'm trying to get rid of the fibre to keep the volume down. He gets ad lib forage for fibre, I need protein and calories.
But surely a scoop (or how much you want to feed) of either will take the same amount of time to eat?

Just thought they would be easier to get hold of ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
If you do try them be interested to hear how you get on as mine is similar. Doing really well this year but we're not at spring yet and always good to know what the options are.

I use Copra which is a similar DE but need to be careful not to add too much water as then it gets bulky and he takes a long time or sometimes get bored. The other day mine was being exceptionally slow and took breaks to look out the window and have a pee.

criso

Visit site
But surely a scoop (or how much you want to feed) of either will take the same amount of time to eat?

Without the fibrous bit on the outside, naked oats are higher in calories so that scoop provides more that whole oats so you could feed less to get the same.

ycbm

Visit site

I feed by weight, not scoop. A kilo of grass nuts is a lot of volume. A kilo of naked oats is less volume than ordinary oats.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If you do try them be interested to hear how you get on as mine is similar. Doing really well this year but we're not at spring yet and always good to know what the options are.

I use Copra which is a similar DE but need to be careful not to add too much water as then it gets bulky and he takes a long time or sometimes get bored. The other day mine was being exceptionally slow and took breaks to look out the window and have a pee.
My slow eater does this ?‍♀️? he can only be bothered to eat nuts.
I'm interested in the naked oats for the welshie that poops out anything husky.

ycbm

Visit site

HBB

Visit site

ycbm

Visit site
According to their t&cs, they're a lot more expensive. I paid £6 for delivery of a pallet of 20 bags of grass pellets from Efeed. Do they do a special rate on big orders?

Auslander

Visit site
I have used Saracen Superioats for our resident hunter - they did a great job of keeping condition and giving him low fizz energy. Switched him to Chestnut Active Response as I buy the bulk bins of Chestnut Chomp, and it was convenient - plus he's a horse who can take a bit of starch, and does better with a bit of junk food!

PurBee

Visit site
To make your expensive naked oats go further, alfalfa pellets are high protein (memory is fizzing with something about your horse and alfalfa tho ..so maybe not suitable?)
The oats phosphorus would balance out the high calcium of the alfalfa giving a very high protein balanced feed.

ycbm

Visit site
I have a horse who is bonkers on ther smallest amount of alfalfa so I don't really want it around if I can avoid it, but thanks for the suggestion.

To make your expensive naked oats go further, alfalfa pellets are high protein (memory is fizzing with something about your horse and alfalfa tho ..so maybe not suitable?)
The oats phosphorus would balance out the high calcium of the alfalfa giving a very high protein balanced feed.

ycbm

Visit site
I have used Saracen Superioats for our resident hunter - they did a great job of keeping condition and giving him low fizz energy. Switched him to Chestnut Active Response as I buy the bulk bins of Chestnut Chomp, and it was convenient - plus he's a horse who can take a bit of starch, and does better with a bit of junk food!

I have a feeling this one may be a burger type boy :) I've never heard of Chestnut stuff, I'l look it up, thanks.

ycbm

Visit site
Well they have arrived and I've weighed them and they are only a bit lighter than grass nuts. I won't be soaking them, so they will stay that size, which means that they are definitely going to reduce the size of his feed a lot without reducing the feed value. Just what I hoped.

I'll start them tomorrow morning, so by Thursday I should be able to tell if they are going through him undigested or if the thinner skin means they disappear. If they don't, then I'll need to try the micronised ones instead.

ycbm

Visit site
He likes them! Bowl is empty ?

And he finished before I was ready to ride ✔✔✔

criso

Visit site
Excellent, when I called up to order feed including basic oats, my supplier did give superioats when listing types so that would be an option if needed.

Re the Chestnuts feeds mentioned, one yard I was on used them. They came in a big communal plastic bin and the option they bought had so much molasses in that it clumped together in big sticky lumps. Luckily they let me go off piste with feed once we'd established that what wanted would not be expensive and I explained what happened to a sugar high Frank. This was about 8 years ago so not necessarily representative of current products.