Anyone feeding this year’s hay yet?

Muddywellies

Visit site
Having a bit of a hay crisis. Need hay but only have access to hay cut in June. I’ve always waited at least three months after baling before feeding, but is this just an old wives tale?

texas

Visit site
I have no idea what difference waiting 3 months would make! I'm feeding this year's haylage and have a stack of hay to use next.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, on my first bale this week - mixed with the old for a few days just because one of mine has a bit of a sensitive digestion, but other than that...

spacefaer

Visit site
Still feeding last year's.
New hay tends to be greener and can affect the horse's digestion (it'll go straight through them) which could also affect the gut flora population.

You'll also use a lot more of it, as it is very palatable and the horse will eat it more quickly, so it will cost you more.

I suppose also that people used to buy a year's supply, not just enough for the winter, or a month at a time (or whatever timescale you use). Lack of storage wasn't so much of a problem either. I remember my parents buying 400 bales hay off the field in June and it would last the 2 horses Oct-Oct.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We are on this years at both yards I work at. I still have a week or twos left at home from last year but am going to try and find some old stuff for my fatties.

Shay

Visit site
We've just started this year's too. We've got early cut timothy so not too rich. Certainly not as rich as the haylage I had to resort to when the hay ran out!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, just had to start the first new big bale, of haylage, as last years is almost finished. We are mixing the 2 atm and they certainly won't be getting any more than their normal measured amount, if anything slightly less.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Having a bit of a hay crisis. Need hay but only have access to hay cut in June. I’ve always waited at least three months after baling before feeding, but is this just an old wives tale?
Yes we are. As long as it’s been well dried before baleing it can be fed straight away. We’ve been making our own hay for decades and have always done this. If you google Spillers head nutritionalist, she wrote an article debunking the myths surrounding the feeding of new hay 😉

Bs_mum

Visit site
As we bought a bale in from the field it came unwrapped & fell apart so it was put straight out for the horses... was gone within 48 hours... god help me in the winter!