Anyone feeding this years' (June) hay yet

JillA

Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem for horses on grass at any time, if your horse is stabled 24/7 then it needs introducing slowly like any new foodstuff. The practice of not feeding for some months after harvesting is an old wives' tale TBH. I have fed new hay at less than a month old (as long as it has finished "cooking") for many years with no problems

chaps89

Visit site
Moved mine onto it and regretting it and waiting for a delivery of last year's hay again! She's been getting half a bale a day (in a pen for about 9 hours a day), is still ravenous and piling on the pounds. Apparently it's rather too good this stuff for Fatty.

SEL

Visit site
for ages - all the hay supplier had.

His late cut stuff is great for my fatties, but when the green bales turn up the haynets are very well soaked.

Cahill

Visit site
yes as mine are in at night since this rain (not because they mind the rain but to save the land)
no problems.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh lordy I've only just started strip grazing my middle paddock and my two are so fat. Hay's due end of this month and hoping to hold off feeding it till the new year!

Seville

Visit site
Yes, been feeding it since August as I ran out of last years. Its our own hay, organically made, and made during a blistering hot week, but I am still soaking it. I am also still strip grazing, and darent put them out on the foggage!!!

chocolategirl

Visit site
We feed ours straight away as long as it's been well dried. Have done for over 20 years without issue. We make our own and husband is a farmer so I trust his judgement!

Auslander

Visit site
Oh lordy I've only just started strip grazing my middle paddock and my two are so fat. Hay's due end of this month and hoping to hold off feeding it till the new year!

Ditto! Mine are due to move onto the fields by my house imminently, and they're looking very green and lush! Unless the weather turns bad, I can't see that I'll need to start feeding hay until Christmas.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been since July as had run out of last year's hay. Just mixed it up a bit with a few bales I had left (which were pretty ropey) and they were delighted with the new, much better hay.

texas

Visit site
Ironically one of mine is so fat, that I have to feed her (well soaked) hay, because I've had to bring her in off the grass. It's this year's hay as I ran out of last year's before redelivery.

ceva

Visit site
Yes I have just started on this years hay, but I also have a bale of last years so I am mixing the hay each day so they get half and half to start with, then when the older bale runs out they will be on the new hay all the time.