Anyone from SC&RMA Draghounds?

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hello all,

I finally have a (hopefully) non-breakable horse to ride and have been considering giving hunting a go- if I can find my brave pants that is!

I read an article on the above hunt and seeing as they did/ do a non-jumping alternative, I thought they might be a good hunt to approach, to see how we get on.

So if anyone is a member, can you give me some general info of the typical days out with them please?

I've had a look on the website and found it very helpful, and am also thinking about joining the fun ride in October (if open to non members of course).

Any info for a total and utter hunting numpty would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh, hello, I'd be interested in this information too !

I've looked at the website before and looks good but am also lacking brave pants OP so would def want to join you for a little low key (non jumping) outing.

Rightly or wrongly, I always thought that drag hunting was a bit more jump focussed, so for those who do go out with this hunt, is it really a good idea to go as a non-jumper?

My horse jumps btw, but I'm still getting to know her, so starting slowly ;)

Sky1

Visit site
Hello! We always have a second field of non jumpers for many reasons, horse not fit enough, first time out , young horse etc, the second field have a nice tootle around at the back and catch up with the main field at the end of each line for a breather and investigation of whats in everyones hipflask!

We also have a good foot following community who follow in cars and watch the field from a good vantage point at each line, and we always have a big tea afterwards with the photographer showing all the shots of the day on a big screen. If you dont want to bring your horse first time, just come along and say hello and follow in a car.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thank you for all of your replies, very helpful and I'm quite keen on having a go :)

This is their website

http://www.sandhurstdraghunt.co.uk/

They hunt in the woods next to my yard. It is easy to get around the jumps. You could try and come and look at the area.

Thank you paulineh, that is a great idea :)

Hi there, my partner is the senior master, we'd love to see you out, what do you want to know !

I'd quite like to know what a typical day out with this hunt would be like really please, although I realise that it varies depending on the area/ weather etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions in due course :eek:

Also, is the ride in October open to non-members do you know please?

Ooh, hello, I'd be interested in this information too !

I've looked at the website before and looks good but am also lacking brave pants OP so would def want to join you for a little low key (non jumping) outing.

Rightly or wrongly, I always thought that drag hunting was a bit more jump focussed, so for those who do go out with this hunt, is it really a good idea to go as a non-jumper?

My horse jumps btw, but I'm still getting to know her, so starting slowly ;)
Glad I'm not the only one who has mislaid the brave pants :D I'm still getting to know my lad too, so figured that taking MY most scary element out of the equation will help us both! That and I need to get both of us a bit fitter :eek:

Hello! We always have a second field of non jumpers for many reasons, horse not fit enough, first time out , young horse etc, the second field have a nice tootle around at the back and catch up with the main field at the end of each line for a breather and investigation of whats in everyones hipflask!

We also have a good foot following community who follow in cars and watch the field from a good vantage point at each line, and we always have a big tea afterwards with the photographer showing all the shots of the day on a big screen. If you dont want to bring your horse first time, just come along and say hello and follow in a car.

This sounds a perfect way to start, and great fun.

almostthere

Visit site
Just to reassure you. I went out with this hunt earlier this year and whilst I compete at low level eventing (think v, v low) I hadn't hunted for about...ohhh...20 years! I was also on a hireling because neither of mine are sane enough to hunt. Tbh the hireling wasn't my cup of tea and I went with the second string and probably jumped max of one or two fences the whole day. ALL of the jumps were avoidable, the second string master was truly lovely and everyone was so friendly it was a lovely afternoon out. It lasted about 3 hrs but short runs and yummy tea afterwards. I really really wish I had a horse that would hunt because it was a lovely day out. GO FOR IT....

Bernster

Visit site
I am definately inspired! If there is a Berkshire outing on a Sunday, I'm there :)

OP - if that's the area for you, let me know and we can form a HHO posse and non jump our way around.

Enfield Chase have a sponsored ride on this Sunday, so going to that for some practice without the hounds or the hunt but with a new bit :)

Sky1

Visit site
I am definately inspired! If there is a Berkshire outing on a Sunday, I'm there :)

OP - if that's the area for you, let me know and we can form a HHO posse and non jump our way around.

Enfield Chase have a sponsored ride on this Sunday, so going to that for some practice without the hounds or the hunt but with a new bit :)

Keep an eye on the website for dates, being finalised as we speak!