Anyone given up riding for a while because of being too heavy?

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
I am currently much too heavy to ride my pony. I've been trying to lose weight for three months now, but in spite of cutting out carbs, restricting calorie intake and doing a fair bit of exercise the weight is still piling on me.

I'm deeply unhappy about not riding but I can't expect the pony to carry me and the tack, much too heavy!

Anyone else abstained from riding for this reason?

antigone

Visit site
Yes I have. When I lost my gelding I piled on the weight - you don't burn as many calories crying as you do looking after horses. A few months later I bought a lovely little mare. She is a cob but a lighter build than my boy and I realised I was way too heavy for her so I didn't ride her. I went on a diet and lost three stones. Not easy and it took me a good 6 months. I stuck to it religiously and upped my exercise, too. In that time I did lots of groundwork and clicker with her and I think it actually worked out for the best. We have a fantastic relationship now - far better than I have had with any horse.

FWIW I followed the Louise Parker plan - I got the book in Tesco when I was fatter than I had ever been in my life. It is low rather than no carb and I saw results very quickly but this tailed off the nearer I got to my target weight. Its expensive if you use the exact foods she uses but it is easy to substitute cheaper items. I also weighed everything - what I though was 100g was usually much more.

It has changed my life really. I didn't realise how much the weight had affected my confidence (and ability to ride) but I couldn't have done it without my girl. It was the promise of riding her that kept me going.

Not sure what is going wrong for you but it might be worth having a good look at what you are eating. Lots of low carb diets advocate full fat foods but these are high in calories and I think it is very easy to get caught out if you don't weigh everything (at least to start with). The current fad of "clean eating" is another trap stuffed with high calorie foods.

Maybe you just need a bit more support. I found my world was suddenly full of people that said I wasn't fat and didn't need to diet when I had just slipped into the NHS definition of obese. Lots of people tried to sabotage my efforts by offering and encouraging me to eat stuff I shouldn't have - "just one won't hurt". Lots also said my horse would be fine to carry me but I was over the 20% and I was not happy with that. I was really disappointed in these people. It was as if they didn't want me to succeed.

You can do it but it is really hard. You just have to believe in yourself. BUT, if you are sure you are eating the amount of calories to loose weight and you are not doing so it might be worth a chat with your GP. There are some conditions that can affect your metabolism.

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Trinket12

Visit site
I am currently much too heavy to ride my pony. I've been trying to lose weight for three months now, but in spite of cutting out carbs, restricting calorie intake and doing a fair bit of exercise the weight is still piling on me.

I'm deeply unhappy about not riding but I can't expect the pony to carry me and the tack, much too heavy!

I was feeling a little baffled as to why I wasn't loosing weight, I didn't over eat and worked out a fair bit. Anyway, I went to a dietitian, I fully expected to be told to cut more from my diet; but it turns out I needed to eat more! I need to eat more soluble fibre and protein and more snacks (nuts etc.). Not sure if that's something you could do, but you may find that to loose weight it's not about restricting calories as such, but eating food that helps speed up your metabolism.

nillynoo

Visit site
I'm doing The Fitness Guy plan and it's made me realise just how calorific my healthy eating was - and what my portion sizes were doing to me! 5 weeks in, I've lost 8lbs and lots of cm's, and my mindset has totally changed so I have no doubt it will stay off. I don't own, but am riding regularly at a riding school and don't want my weight to hold back the horses available to me when my ability allows

Ali27

Visit site
Wish more people would be conscious of their weight when riding. Mine crept up last year to around 10 stone 10 and I have a 14.2 irish cob although she is more like a section D. I had to sort myself out promptly as I don't like anyone who is over 10 stone riding her, especially when jumping and doing fast work. Didn't take me long with some healthy eating and upping the exercise!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, OP, I've on occasion stopped riding because I knew I was too heavy for the horse. I put on loads of weight last year after finally losing my mum after a miserable last few months for her. My mare's a weight carrier, but even so, there are limits.

I managed to shift 4.5 stone in 4 months this year, going from BMI 31.5 on Jan 1 to 22.5 at the end of April, and it was fairly painless. Barring the first week when I did the usual slimming world stuff, I followed the Dr Michael Moseley's 800 calorie per day Blood Sugar Diet. I'm back down to about 13.5% of her weight including all tack etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/The-8-Week...2%26rvr_ts%3D25509d831650aad76b15bd2cfff0dc22

It's aimed at type 2 diabetics, but most other folk can follow it. Many local GP surgeries are recommending to their patients who want or need to lose weight. It's a sensible way of eating which is also easy to folow post diet.

antigone, I know exactly what you mean about others trying to sabotage someone else's diet. You have to wonder what their motives are.

Good luck, OP.

Nancykitt

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone. It's good to know that other people have been through similar times!

Tiddlypom - I did the 8-week BSD in February/March 2017 and lost 2 stone. It worked incredibly well. But when I lapsed I ended up putting on huge amounts of weight and ended up, this March/April, at the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I literally could not climb the stairs at home without taking a rest.
So in April I did a second round of the BSD and it hasn't worked at all. According to some members of the Facebook support group for the diet, there is now increasing evidence that 'Round 2' is not always a good thing to do at all and I'm sorry I did it. Until this week I was doing 2 spin classes, 1 bodypump class and three sessions of weight training every week on 1200 calories a day. I've put on half a stone in three weeks. I've now moved on to fasting as none of my clothes fit me and I'm absolutely desperate to ride.
I've dropped the cardio stuff but kept up the weight training as I'm post-menopausal and need to build bone density.
If the fasting fails I will hit the Krispy Kremes and ride my OH's cob (OH is incredibly lightweight and could ride the pony but looks much too big!)

Our horsebox is now working for the first time in 11 months and there's so much I'd love to do but I won't risk it.

Evie91

Visit site
I put on a stone and a half whilst horse was being diagnosed, treated, rehab etc - over winter, eating drinking too much and too little excercise . Went over my own limit to ride a horse. I went to slimming world and have shifted the weight and maintained. Would definitely recommend as I am greedy and like to eat! I was genuinely never hungry- sometimes boring but never hungry!

So pleased you are considering this, I think it’s a real current issue and a real bug bear of mine- obese riders. Poor horse doesn’t have a say.It’s great you are thinking about the welfare of your horse.Hope you find something that works for you.

Griffin

Visit site
Slimming World worked for me when I was too heavy to ride. I still go back to the principles if I need to shift a few pounds (e.g. after Christmas). It may be worth checking with your GP to make sure there are no underlying reasons for why you are not losing weight. Good luck, it is not easy but it is worth it.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Goodness, OP, how disappointing for you that the BSD didn't work second time round after you'd done well on it before. Maybe get checked out by your GP to see if you have developed a hormonal imbalance or something? It sounds from your regime that you should indeed be losing weight now, how unfair.

Had to laugh about the Krispy Kremes, I know that feeling :D.

antigone

Visit site
I think the "lapse" bit is really important. if you go back to doing what you did before you will put it all back on again. I think the realisation that I weighed less so had to eat less than before to maintain it was a disappointing shock. I also think the post menopausal thing is significant. I hope you find what works for you. Very little beer, wine and pizzas and magnums for me and I have developed a hate for tenderstem broccoli you would not believe.

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
Yes! I think I’m personally four stone too heavy for my riding pony so I don’t ride! I struggle to loose the weight due to a lot of medication I’m on due to long term problems!

I’ve decided to break her to harness instead, I will never part with her and will never get on her until I’ve lost four stone which I can’t see happening :(

11bluewolf

Visit site
I haven’t experienced this but I hope I can offer some help! Firstly I think it’s important to rule out any metabolic issues/ other health issues that could be preventing weight loss and it’s always good to be certain that your body is up to increasing your exercise level to be on the safe side!
If everything comes back clear, I would start tracking your calories and macros (proteins, carbs and fats) and also start some weight training along with the cardio.
You can work out the right amount of macronutrients that you need as everyone has different needs (so don’t follow any plans that tell you how many you need as they need to be worked out on an individual basis). - there are lots of macro calculators online and tons of advice surrounding this/ alternatively you could follow a diet plan which is in my opinion quite expensive for something that you can do yourself - although it is confusing at first you’ll get the hang of it! I would recommend KRISSY CELA If you want to go down the diet plan route- she really knows her stuff and is always happy to answer queries over email.

Regarding exercise- weight training really is the way forward. Lots of people worry extra muscle will make you “bigger/manly/bulky” however this really is not the case. Women cannot build muscle to the same level or as easily as men, plus fat takes up a much much larger area than muscle. (Also the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism = you can eat more food!).
I really recommend one of Krissy Celas exercise plans- i think it is £60 but it is worth every penny but I’ve followed her 12 week summer body guide and it really is fantastic, it explains everything well and also has photos of every exercise (plus again you can email her with any questions you may have). If you do find you need anymore help, you could always get some personal training help to help you with the guide at the start.
if you have Instagram look at her page and the transformation photos of people following her guide. The guide is a mix of weigh training, cardio and HIT so it really does get the weight off quickly but healthily.

There are so many diet fads and exercise plans that people sell and so many of them are useless or unhealthy. Eating 800 calories for anyone is completely UNHEALTHY so please don’t resort to these diets. The only way to shed fat, without relapse and to keep your body healthy is to ensure you’re in a calorie deficit and are tracking what you’re eating (your macronutrients) however this has to be tailored to your own needs. + weight training as hours and hours of cardio really is not particularly beneficial when trying to lose weight.

I hope this helps & makes sense, typing on my phone really isn’t the easiest! Please feel free to message if you have any other questions and sorry if I’ve covered something you’ve mentioned!

conniegirl

Visit site
I gained several stone in weight after an ankle injury left me in a wheel chair or on crutches for 17 months.
Since May which was when i regained the ability to walk or do anything with horses ive lost nearly 2 stone.
Ive been following the slimming world principles. Mind you getting a less stressful job where i don’t indulge in a bottle of wine a night to dull the stress has helped enormously as has actually being able to walk.
I would say im slightly too heavy for my pony, and quite a way from the ideal weight to ride him but i didnt get him untill i had lost 1.5stone, i dont ride for long and he certainly has never struggled with my weight (certainly last night he pissed off accross stubble fields with great gusto).
Having him (and the thought of getting him in the first place) are what has driven my weightloss!

Though i have to say we were practicing for an inhand class tjis evening and i was in absolute fits of giggles and the poor pony obviously thougt id lost it, in reality i was loosing my trousers! Absolutely great feeling!

Last edited:

Nancykitt

Visit site
Some brilliant replies here, thank you!

Totally agree about the weight training - I have my daughter as a PT, she has been doing weight/bodybuilding for years and is a stickler for 'correct form'. What I like about it is that you can see those weights increasing as you get stronger; having started with just the bar (20kg) I am now doing reps on deadlift at 50kg and it is really strengthening my back. Certain exercises are a killer for me (front raises, shoulder press) but apparently I have strong hamstrings so leg curls are fine.
I was shocked to find out that women can lose so much bone density post-menopause. If I intend to carry on riding for as long as possible I really need to do what I can to sort it!

Visit site
Totally agree about the weight training

Hijacking thread a bit but for riding what are the best weight training/strength exercises to do that help posture in the saddle? I have a **** BMR (1400 ish) so be nice to raise that a bit too lol by builing muscle too lol.

Last edited:

Apercrumbie

Visit site
As others have said, might be worth checking the symptoms for thyroid problems and seeing if they apply to you. If so, get yourself to the doctor for a test.

Otherwise you say you eat 1200 calories per day - obviously that's quite low but are you sure that's what you're getting? Do you weigh out your portions? Do you forget to add a glass of wine to your calorie total? Those two are the biggest culprits for creeping up your calories to maintenance level without realising.

Some people do really well on the 5.2 diet - I wouldn't recommend exercising on a fast day but others find it fine.

numptynovice

Visit site
I’ve just bought the Joe Wilkes fat burning book and have lost 3 lbs this week with his recipes and regular exercise (running 3x per week and PT once a week). Receipes are very tasty and easy to make and I haven’t felt hungry. Radical reduction in calories isn’t necessarily the way to go.

Nancykitt

Visit site
I'm definitely not going over 1200 calories - I have no bread, pasta, rice, biscuits, cake (or any sweet things), no alcohol, no fizzy drinks. I don't even eat high carb fruits so I avoid bananas, oranges, etc. Most days I'm coming in at around 800 - 1000 calories. I could cut further but my daughter tells me that it would be a ridiculous thing to do as it's unsustainable.

Had a look at some 'transformation' photos of women who've followed various plans but quite honestly I'd give my right arm to look like their 'before' pictures! There is literally no-one on these sites who looks like the 5ft wobbly fat barrel that is me. I look and feel terrible.

Chinchilla - most trainers will say that, in general, it's about 'more pull than push' exercises; basically, just lifting heavy stuff is incredibly beneficial. But correct form is important or you can hurt yourself. I do quite a lot of deadlifts and rows and can feel the difference with my posture which I hope will help when I eventually get back to riding as I am a real sloucher in the saddle.

Obviously, with riding you hear a lot of people talking about the importance of core strength, but I don't do specific abs exercises as there's so much fat covering the abs at the moment. Deadlifts and carries work so many muscles. I do lots of leg stuff - squats, lunges, leg extensions, hamstring curls etc - and these are helpful too. I do have strong abductor and adductors which is obviously the result of me gripping with thighs and calves in order to preserve my life when out hunting!

Clodagh

Visit site
Get your thyroid checked. Problems are incredibly common in post-menopausal women. Good luck

This. I have Graves disease (pre menopausal, have had it for years) but it makes such a difference to your metabolism, you don't need to be far out for problems like weight gain.

maisie06

Visit site

I have given up riding, I'm too fat now and have tried all diets going, diet pills etc, nothing works, so jacked in the horses, I wasn't much of a rider anyway and TBH I don't really miss it!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

I have lost nearly 2 stone thanx to stopping chocolate and alcohol and other fatty things - but the key to the weight lost is
https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/xenical-orlistat-120mg-p2834.html.

Better than Alli who have taken the key ingredient out. Also keeping tabs on the scales using this website https://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I get on scales daily - and do about 12000 steps per day work - no lunch and I feel better but still got to lose more.

Woah

Visit site
I was shocked to find out that women can lose so much bone density post-menopause. If I intend to carry on riding for as long as possible I really need to do what I can to sort it!
Any exercise which provides a good impact through the bones e.g. Brisk walking or running. Particularly important to target lower back, pelvic bones and hip bones. Walking and running are great for this. Swimming or cycling are very LOW impact so will NOT be sufficient for building or maintaining bones.
Also ensuring enough calcium and vitamin D are provided for building bone mass. Vitamin D is available from sunshine and most people with horses will get plenty of that throughout the year anyway, also through diet. Smoking diminishes bone mass a lot and also high consumption of alcohol or caffeine reduces I as it leaches calcium from the bones. If you're worried and think you may be at high risk from osteoporosis there's the option of a DEXTA scan which measures bone density which is a really useful indicator of how well you're doing for your age. Of course osteoporosis also has a genetic factor to it too, so if in the family you could be at higher risk, plus the age at whichever you went through menopause will factor into it, the later the better your chances basically.