Anyone gone back to a RS after a confidence knock? *long*

Mince Pie

Visit site
I have been riding for over 17 years now, worked as a breaking rider, work rider for a racehorse trainer, rode fit eventers, started a couple of my own youngsters and reschooled one mare and I'm in the process of re-training my ex racer.

Millie (the TB) as you can imagine from being a racehorse has never been used to hacking out on her own. She hacks out fine in company and has a pretty chilled out attitude to life. I have been hacking her in company and have taken her out on her own round the block at the yard which takes about 20 minutes. Up until today she has been fine if a bit 'looky' and will walk on with a little encouragement, but today she practically turned herself inside out spinning and plunging and ended up doing several vertical rears (a la PS's CS) at which point I got off and started to lead her back to the yard. I did get back on after a couple of minutes and rode her back to the yard but when we got back I got off and burst into tears :(

I then took Ollycob out for a hack to try and put myself back onto an even keel, but he was very spooky and at one point span 180* and bolted up the lane. Again I got off and had a mini-meltdown at the side of the lane then started walking him home, but then got on again and finished our hack but I was shaking the whole time and he was getting more and more stressed out because I was so worked up. :(

I have never been in this situation before and I hate it :( So I have booked a hack for next Friday at a local RS to try and sort myself out before it turns into a 'complex' and I have a lesson from my instructor on Tuesday anyway so hopefully will be able to have him come out with me on foot with Millie after my lesson on Olly.

Could really do with some tea, tissues and a kick up the bum right about now please? :(

Gracie21

Visit site
No kick up the bum, just hugs. Horses are unpredictable creatures, and always will be. Well done for getting back on and finishing what you started, it is really good to do that and means you left it the best way you could.

Tomorrow is another day. Don't worry.

I have hot chocolate and biscuits that I am willing to share :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
First off *Big hugs* to you, sounds rather traumatic.

What you have to remind yourself is that this was a bad day and you over did it by taking out your cob after, though I can see why you did. Our emotions can make us do silly things sometimes that are not for the best.

It is tough to realise that years before you were full of confidence and would do anything with any horse then suddenly you feel scared to death of the thought of things going wrong. I am finding as I get older I get worse. I am currently taking an unwanted break from riding after losing my beloved old mare and buying an unbacked youngster. Not sure how I will get on bringing her on myself and hacking out, not done it for so many years and I do wonder if I have it in me.

However, I know there will be tough days and that it may be hugely challenging at times but all you can do is keep at it. That is what I am trying to say, try and put today in the past and move on and think positive about next time. I think a few are a bit 'spring like' at the moment. I certainly do not see the harm in going to a RS if you want to either. I am starting to think about hitting some trekking centres over the summer to keep me ticking over as I have come to realise I do really miss riding.
Sorry if my rambling has not helped, but good luck and put it behind you x

Wheels

Visit site
Yes i had a bad confidence knock when my horse reared and went over backwards with me on the road, luckily apart from broken nose and lots of grazes i was unhurt.

I went for a flat lesson at an RS and then a jumping lesson and a few XC clinics which all really helped me. I also took a steady eddy on loan for a while and now apart from the odd wobble all is ok

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
First off *Big hugs* to you, sounds rather traumatic.

What you have to remind yourself is that this was a bad day and you over did it by taking out your cob after, though I can see why you did. Our emotions can make us do silly things sometimes that are not for the best.

It is tough to realise that years before you were full of confidence and would do anything with any horse then suddenly you feel scared to death of the thought of things going wrong. I am finding as I get older I get worse. I am currently taking an unwanted break from riding after losing my beloved old mare and buying an unbacked youngster. Not sure how I will get on bringing her on myself and hacking out, not done it for so many years and I do wonder if I have it in me.

However, I know there will be tough days and that it may be hugely challenging at times but all you can do is keep at it. That is what I am trying to say, try and put today in the past and move on and think positive about next time. I think a few are a bit 'spring like' at the moment. I certainly do not see the harm in going to a RS if you want to either. I am starting to think about hitting some trekking centres over the summer to keep me ticking over as I have come to realise I do really miss riding.
Sorry if my rambling has not helped, but good luck and put it behind you x

Moggy if its any comfort I am a nervous nellie and my 17 hander is great but challenging: I took on an unbroken 3yo and actually found backing and bringing her on less scary than riding my 'grown up' horse. I knew she relied on me to tell her stuff was ok and that she hadnt learned any bad tricks or habits and so its like we were being brave together!! So you may find the same, youngsters if brought on slowly and carefully are much less likely to throw in complete naughty fits I think than older horses. They may be scared of something but they will listen when you show them its OK. Good luck....

OP I think you did the textbook thing to go out again once you had a scare. You were unlucky that this ride didnt go so well either! I think you do get very knocked back when these things come out of the blue, so dont put pressure on yourself to get back to the exact place you were straight away. Its fine to go back in baby steps, and a good idea to get someone else involved in helping you build back up. Anyone would have been a bit freaked!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm hoping it's just a big "wobble" and everything will settle down soon :eek: Unfortunately I can't hack out again until Tuesday but will be in the school over the weekend and hopefully Millie will be OK with me in there - she usually is. Thinking about it she was hooning a bit on the lunge yesterday and I know the dreaded spring grass will probably be partly to blame as she was grazing in the field rather than eating the bale of hay that's out there. I just want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a major issue, another part of it is that she is 16.2 and I am used to ponies and smaller horses - she is the biggest horse I have owned - the last being the 16.1 psycho ISH I had before who did something similar to me when I hacked her out only she did it in the middle of a busy 60mph road :eek:

I'm wondering if the fact that I had a few months out of the saddle due to a prolapsed disc and associated sciatica is also part of the problem?

Littlelegs

Visit site
My favourite thought for days like this is we have to have the bad days to appreciate the good.
Sounds like a good plan & best thing you could have done to get back on. It's not what happens its how you deal with it that counts, hope you're feeling better soon.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Moggy if its any comfort I am a nervous nellie and my 17 hander is great but challenging: I took on an unbroken 3yo and actually found backing and bringing her on less scary than riding my 'grown up' horse. I knew she relied on me to tell her stuff was ok and that she hadnt learned any bad tricks or habits and so its like we were being brave together!! So you may find the same, youngsters if brought on slowly and carefully are much less likely to throw in complete naughty fits I think than older horses. They may be scared of something but they will listen when you show them its OK. Good luck....

Thanks lachlanandmarcus. Your right. I never used to think anything of it and the youngsters I brought on and backed years ago were great, need to have more faith in myself that I can do it again :)
She does look to me, she is a very clever young cob so fingers crossed that if we take it steady it will all be ok :)
As you said, best to take small steps, and build on that

Sherbie

Visit site
Really feel for you! hugs!

You really did do the right thing getting on cob after, I suspect your nerves were still a little shot (understandably) and the grass is coming through a little earlier this year (well, is in my area lol) sending them a bit scatty.

Its a great idea to go for a treck at an RS, I am currently going for lessons after a confidence knock and loving it. People do think im totally mad going for lessons and not riding my own (atm) but im just not ready for him yet.

You have your lesson on Tuesday to look forward to and it may help having your instructor walk out with you.

I actually admire the fact you have had a knock but not letting it get to you and taking steps before it turns into anything more. It would be so tempting (and I have saw it happen) to push yourself to hard and pretend your ok when your not. Good on you :)

Mince Pie

Visit site
Oh believe me it has got to me! I am still a little shaky :eek:

Cob in question has been with me for 5 years and is normally a saint, but then normally when he spooks I ride him through it - today I sat like a wet lemon so it just spiralled :(

I know that when Millie is used to hacking on her own she'll be absolutely fine, she is so chilled about everything else and takes it all in her stride. I got on her at the end of last year after 3 months off and it was like she had been ridden every day. Unfortunately she is very fine and incredibly agile so there isn't much underneath you!

Niddlynoo

Visit site
I had a nasty fall while mounting my new 'bombproof in every way' horse which bolted the minute I got on. When I had recovered enough I booked some lessons at a RS. It took me ages to summon up the courage to actually mount up, but after a few lessons I am a lot better. The horses at RS tend to be really quiet and trustworthy.
I have just bought new horse which I can't ride due to a fractured pelvis, but I feel more confident thanks to my lessons. You sound like a dedicated rider and I hope you get back on track x