Anyone got a 5 or 6 tonne lorry?

cp1980

Visit site
I read an article recently that said many hauliers are turning away from 7.5 tonne lorries and either going HGV or using a 6 tonne lorries.

Anyone drive a 6 tonne lorry? How much can you carry and is your MPG as good as the press articles suggest?

The old Dodge 50 lorries used to be very popular.

ttt

Visit site
Sorry, havent read the article but my 6.5t had approx 3t payload. On average 30mpg. Best lorry I have ever had. Big enough for 2 x 17hhs and yet quite small and compact, very economical.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Hi......I have both an old dodge (currently in use, but up for sale) and an iveco 6.5 ton in build......hopefully ready mid-Oct.

Both are stalled for two horses forwards, side ramp and basic living (sink, hob/grill, cupboards, bed in luton); the dodge weighs 3.98 ton unladen, but with half a tank of diesel, some water, rugs and other bits and bobs on board, so carrying capacity of just over 2.6 ton. If the iveco comes out as good I'll be very pleased.

I found it very hard to get a good 6.5 ton chassis that was a couple of years old, so not too sure about all the hauliers turning to them........maybe they have but just haven't started selling them yet!

Fuel consumption has been great on the dodge.......so great in fact that I've never really been scared into working out exactly what the mpg is.

Did contemplate going for a 7.5 ton this time round but there were too many things in favour of the smaller lorry.

TandD

Visit site
not read the artical, but we also have a 6.5 ton. its a lovly lorry,although 23ft long feels much smaller than a 7.5ton and drives more like a car. its payload is 2.4ton, has a 10ft horse area and can take 2 16.2's easliy and only has a 2.4 litre engine, so more economical that your average 7.5ton engine. its a great pony club mums lorry!

saying that we are looking to move up to a 7.5ton as we want to travel much futher...... and also have a rather large horse (18hh) that needs a MUCH bigger horse area!

ROG

Visit site
One other advantage for those with the pre 1997 licence is that having say a 6 tonne GVW van allows a trailer of 2250 plated MAM to be towed on the C1+E with the 107 restriction

cp1980

Visit site
The article said that the new 6 tonne and 7 tonne Iveco Daily vans can carry as much weight as the next 7.5 tonner and are cheaper. However, they are about 20cm narrower than 7.5 tonners, so I guess that makes it unsuitable for travelling large horses herringbone. But the Dailys are getting body lengths of nearly 7m.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I have a 6tonne Iveco Daily. Its fairly old but MPG is better than my old short wheel base 7.5t leyland, and it drives like a dream. barely larger than a 3.5t but has approx 2.5t payload so can happily carry two horses no issues and as bonus have decent sized living.

Coop

Visit site
I have a 6.5 tonne lorry, absolutely love it but new one on way so its for sale soon, it was like hens teeth to find as its such lovely ladies box to handle on your own and has a massive payload of nearly 2.5 tonnes, fits our 17.1 and a chunky cob as its forward facing there is a lot of room for their heads. Does 30 to the gallon, which I don't think is bad. The other good thing as people have said is they are so neat, mine is 20.5ft even with living and a rear tack locker. Turns on a sixpence. Love the 6.5 tonners!

bitlessbill

Visit site
I have a 6tonne Iveco Daily. Its fairly old but MPG is better than my old short wheel base 7.5t leyland, and it drives like a dream. barely larger than a 3.5t but has approx 2.5t payload so can happily carry two horses no issues and as bonus have decent sized living.

I have the same and totally agree. I find it reliable, economical and a dream to drive and it has fab living with a loo!

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
You can get some nice compact 7.5 ton horseboxes. It is the wheel base that counts. i.e the shorter the distance between the axels of the front and rear wheels the more compact and easier to turn the vehicle. Daf make a 3.0 metre wheelbase which is almost identical to the short Bedford trucks manufactured years ago.

scribble

Visit site
I am not sure i see the benefit as you still have to have a 7.5 ton MOT at a VOSA test station rather than a car MOT and tax i would imagine is same a s 7.5 tonner. is it just MPG figures are better?