Anyone got a spare £250 for me??

carys220

Visit site
A colt? That colour? With those legs and that head?

Don't tempt me! I'm sure there are probably sales near me in North wales too!

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
A colt? - Yup, fillies sell for about £40-£50
That Colour? - They come in all colours there
With those legs and that head? - Well, not those exact appendages, lol, but there is some quality stock goes through the sale ring, most with full passports and five gen pedigrees!

carys220

Visit site
Stop it stop it!!

You've got me thinking now.....I would love to have my own stud in a few years so buying a young colt now would be ideal....only problem is I have 3 mares!! How long could a colt be kept with mares for?

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
What a cutie!! But not for £250.....
grin.gif

immybrookstud

Visit site
you would all drop dead if you new what i hve paid for one of this years colt foals then!!!

tri i wouldnt put a colt out this mares ors live in a all males herd. you would prob get away with it over the winter if your lucky.
smile.gif

if you want something to run on to breed from i would look at lines you like an then look for those lines, ideally with parents that have been successfully shown. you need to look for something that stands out from the crowd. or you will end up breeding foals, that are run of the mill, an selling for next to nothing. i would never sell a colt for 20 i would reather spend the money and run them on till breaking age. the hill farmers will carry on breeding 100's or foals and sending them to the market wild and unhandled for poeple to buy for next to nothing "resuceing them" there are always a bargain to be found but just because they are registered doesnt altomaticlly mean its a quality pony.

carys220

Visit site
That's kind of what I was thinking immybrook, so is why I liked the look of the pony in the ad.
grin.gif
Shame it doesn't have his registered name as I do think that's important.

I used to have a Swinford pony and love the Swinford and Baledon lines.

immybrookstud

Visit site
Baledon lines are lovely they have some fantastic foals this year have a nose on there website. most are sold not long after they hit the ground, and alot get exported. such a shame to loose them from our country. but i guess they are more willing to pay good money for a quailty pony than us. and if your paying to exported you might as well have the best.

it costs £22 pound just to reg a foal, then you have any covering costs/stud fees. feed the mare and foal. worming, tet vacc's then putting in your time to handle the foal. for a nice foal i would think £250 is fair after that for a well bred well started foal. an thats if you dont get vet bills I's not a good pic in that ad though. hard to tell what he is really like.

whats going on with my spelling today!!!

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
We bought a 3 yr old sec A with decent breeding for £250 and she was a filly. We bought two colts straight off the hill for £50 each, grew them on a bit and sold them, still entire for £400 for the better one and £200 for his 1/2 brother. All 3 were relatively well bred.

I appreciate that it takes time and money to raise decent foals but, like everything else, you need to be sure that you're buying a good one in the first place.

immybrookstud

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I appreciate that it takes time and money to raise decent foals but, like everything else, you need to be sure that you're buying a good one in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i was trying to say. just because you can buy a foal for £20 doesnt mean they should all be that price and they are good quality.

i guess hill farmers dont have the costs without offending the often have 100's of ponies spend all year on the hills cost nothing to keep, not vacc and wormed so one have reg costs, if sale privetly.

but even through the sales, £22 to reg, transport to the sales, entry fees them comision for £20 what is the point?

you must have an eye for a bargain
smile.gif

JM07

Visit site
i've bought some cracking foals/yearlings at Brecon...

18gns was the cheapest...125 gns the dearest.

i have to say though, the dispersal lots that went through at Builth last time from the Crectieth (sp) stud were IMO disgraceful..both condition and quality..

i have always liked the full up 12/12.2 heavier boned Section A's..not the spindly, overdished heads with boggly eyes types that are bred by so-called reputable studs these days..

have a good friend who breeds up near pontypool and he has 2 Dun colts for me in Sept at weaning...these are somthing else!!!!..and they are definitely top show quality..i'm looking forward to finding them decent show homes next year.