anyone got an older horse that they still compete?

spooks

Visit site
just asking as going to look at a confidence giver who is in his 20's and still competing reguarly over 110 courses! im not bothered about the age or how high he can jump as his temperament etc is more important. all i want him to do is give my capable but nervous daughter the confidence she needs and teach her to jump, do pony club etc. this pony is fit and healthy and doesnt look anywhere near his age, but ive never owned one this age and would like to know if he will need special requirements with regards to feed / supplements etc should he be the one.
thanks in advance

CastleMouse

Visit site
A friend of mine has a 27 year old Connemara mare, and she's still doing hunter trials and the odd hunt with her!
grin.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
I once knew a kid with a 26 year old BSJA pony. He still loved his work and competed twice a week. Always had respect for that little man... cracking pony.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Not quite the same age.. but i'm riding an ex-racehorse who at the age of 14 is in her first season of BE eventing (i know that's younger, but for a TB it's getting on a bit to be starting out in a new game)

If you listen hard enough, horses will tell you what they want to do..
Look at Hooray Henry.. Still BE eventing at the age of about 26.. He'll probably drop down dead at an event, and i couldn't think of a better way for him to go!

_jetset_

Visit site
I go to a BD trainer who has a 29 year old mare who she uses as her school mistress for people to ride. You would never ever think she was this age and she absolutely loves her work. She was competing at GP dressage in her 20s!

I say as long as they are enjoying their work, keep going!

jackpalfreyman

Visit site
My friends horse (dutch treat) will be competing in the JRN champs at weston park next month aged 21 or 22 (i think!) horses like that would just detieriate in condition if they were left to get unfit, he just loves his job!

RachelB

Visit site
The horse I ride is 18 years old, not quite in her 20s yet but she acts like a three year old! Only things with her are that she loses condition easily, gets cold very easily (is always freezing cold the day after a competition, even in summer!) and is a bit delicate - she's off work at the mo with a suspected bruised foot. She loves her work though and will be going until she lets mummy know she doesn't want to any more. She still goes xc and everything, when she's had enough of jumping or her joints are complaining, she'll be a dressage horse till she's had enough. My friend's 23 year old is a complete nut but is still happily dressaging (tendon problems ruled out jumping years ago). As long as the horse is happy, go for it!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
as long as kepted fit and healthy and considerations are given to their age (eg make sure warm up/down correctly etc) then there shouldn't be a problem with an older horse. My old 12h2 is 20 this year and is due to compete at HOYS in a few weeks time over a track starting at 1m15, he is still at the top of his game infact he seems to be doing better this year than ever before.

The main problem with older horses is if they are allowed to get unfit. keep them ticking over and you shouldn't have a problem, another example is my 30yo shetland pony who is still sound and ridden several times a week and goes to the occasional little show/gymkhana. obviously he doesn't do the jumping but its all the same at the end of the day with an older horse.

mandy4727

Visit site
I lost my old pony in Jan this year aged 29 and she was still competing until the end of our show season in September. Still winning aswell. Veteran classes, handy pony, equitation classes. And she was a complete nutty 13.2 pony. Still jumped and looked great. Just fed on normal feed aswell nothing special.
margooct05.jpg

My other pony will be 40 in January. But he isn't ridden anymore.
So nope 20 no age at all. In fact they have been there and seen it all and know the ropes.

hairycob

Visit site
My son's pony is 24 & still going strong - people never believe his age. Placed 6th jumping last week and had a 2 firsts in his 2 goes at showing this year (Family Pony & Ridden Veteran). We keep him to smaller classes & don't overdo things. A sound oldie with the right temperament can be worth it's weight in gold for a child as they have seen most things before. The biggest issue we are going to face is when O grows out of him which probably won't be too long. If he is still is as he is now he won't be ready to retire & we won't sell him. An RDA centre has expressed an interest in taking him on loan, so fingers crossed. You do need to think about the long term if you are taking on an oldie for a growing child.