anyone got any grass yet?!

L&M

Visit site
As per title...... still feeding hay in the field which we normally stop around Easter.

In mid wales we are yet to have any significant grass growth, lovely sunny days but no real warmth and the only wet stuff has been snow, coupled with temperatures below freezing most nights.

Loving the dry weather and respite from mud, but if we have no rain soon am starting to to wonder if hay crops will be affected.....

Is it just us or is the rest of the country in the same situation?

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
We need rain and warmth here too only fed hay for the past month but the grass everywhere is only about half an inch long summer grazing is gone too We are south of the humber close to the sea so it has been bitingly cold winds for weeks and dry for more than a month

vam

Visit site
Nope. As much as I want to keep mine off grass as spring grass makes her footy, the frosty weather is worse. I actually could do with rain and warmer temps at night so it grows, I'm currently on the section I use for winter as I can't put her on the summer bit while its still short and frosty.
It doesn't look like rain anytime soon and last years haylage wasn't great so a little concerned this years isn't going to be much better.
Cold, sunny West Sussex.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Last spring it was even drier than this, and there was lots of doom-mongering about hay shortages etc etc. But then we had a really wet, mild autumn, and the grass was still growing great guns right into November, so round here there's plenty of hay available. I feel like our seasons have shifted over the last 20 years (but I have no idea what the implications are on growing crops though).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Last spring it was even drier than this, and there was lots of doom-mongering about hay shortages etc etc. But then we had a really wet, mild autumn, and the grass was still growing great guns right into November, so round here there's plenty of hay available. I feel like our seasons have shifted over the last 20 years (but I have no idea what the implications are on growing crops though).
There definitely were hay shortages in this area after last spring. We didn't bother mowing some fields as there was nothing on them. I am lucky as OH kept back enough for my horses but local yards have run out.

ihatework

Visit site
Not a great deal, but we have very dry land without deep soil coverage so it’s never lush.

It’s definitely a bit greener and the horses aren’t hangry and wolfing down hay. We’ve reduced the hay but they all still get supplemented still.

Not concerned, one is too fat anyway, the other is growing rather quickly so needs to stay on the light side

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
We could do with some rain but the grass is growing. All the horses on the yard know it! My cob is being rude - he lives out on quite a bare paddock to control his weight but has a hour or two 'tidying up' other paddocks or parts of the yard. He is quite prone to b*ggering off to get to the nice bits and grunts like a pig in poo when he gets there :D

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
There definitely were hay shortages in this area after last spring. We didn't bother mowing some fields as there was nothing on them. I am lucky as OH kept back enough for my horses but local yards have run out.
Gosh, it's amazing how different the situation can be on really a very small island (I'm assuming you're UK). We're south west, and there's still plenty of last year's hay around here.

Micky

Visit site
Need some warmer weather, frosty nights aren’t helping! def no rain thank you! Being on peat, the ground turns to bog as soon as a cm of rain appears! They’re finding a something out there but I can’t see much but dry mud!

Reactions: TPO

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Nope none. I don't really expect much from it until May time here anyway but this winter has been particularly tough on the grass growth. We've had moisture, mostly as snow, but low temperatures have kept the grass down.

I do suspect that it's about to pick up now. It was definitely drier here last spring.

Reactions: TPO

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Looking at my field, no, unless you look at the bits they don't get to, yes! They both look reasonably well so think I'll have the electric fencing out shortly.

TPO

Visit site
No ?

It's been so cold that anything attempting to come through on the summer paddocks is turning purple.

It was so wet between rain and snow that most of the grass in the summer fields has spent a considerable time submerged and died off. Now it's mainly clover and moss.

Still haying during the day when they are out. They much prefer to scavenge for grass but hunger drives them back to the hay piles.

catembi

Visit site
Nope. I rested the fields all winter & kept the horses on a large limestone area (clay goes full swamp). They have only just gone out on it. Clay has now gone full concrete & still no grass. I only have grass where I don't want it, i.e. gravel drive, etc, and I can't spray it yet as the night time temp is still getting down to zero. Aaarrrgghhhh.....!

sherry90

Visit site
Just enough to keep him and me happy (gets fat off thin air and loves food!) so I’m happily keeping his weight in check without having to restrict or muzzle him just yet. Don’t want it to rain and sprout too much (sorry for those who do!) but equally don’t want it like summer 2018 when it was almost like a drought!

L&M

Visit site
Thanks all makes me feel a little better - the problem if/when it does rain, it probably won't stop and we will be complaining about too much grass, and the unwelcome return of mud!

Oh well, what will be will be......

Birker2020

Visit site
No it's rubbish. I've re-sectioned my paddock for over a month now and you can hardly see the difference between the used and saved.
Horse is on box rest tomorrow for a week so I am hoping it will grow in that time and she can be kept quiet when turned out again. Still feeding hay.

It will be growing as grass grows in daytime temps over 5C but it's so slow it is neglible :)

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Everything is very dry here but there is a green haze on the 'bare paddock' where they have spent the winter. They have lived out with access to shelter and hay, the paddock was a sea of mud, not so long ago but they are definitely out eating grass on there during the sunny days. We shall be looking to introduce more grass gradually when the nights are no longer frosty. It's not such unusual weather, traditionally cows don't go out until 1st May, when the danger of frost should be past

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
In desperate need of grass here for my sheep. The ponies are doing fine so some good there but the sheep are eating a lot of cake and hay to make up for lack of grass. Gentle warm April showers needed.