Anyone got any ideas on saddle dilemma?

Impu1sion

Visit site
I would appreciate any input, this is driving me mad and has cost me much dosh over the years, but this is my quandary:- We compete in affiliated dressage and mare is not the most forward going, and a little hormonal! I have had umpteen dressage saddles over the years, including made to measure (nightmare). I am guilty of liking the 'big knee blocks, deep seat' as I think it somehow helps me to keep her in front of my leg. However, I have just ridden her in my oldish GP saddle (we sometimes play over 6-12 inch jumps!) and she does move much better in this, much freer, no spurs or whip. So, I'm thinking "is there such a thing as a supportive GP saddle" (and could I bear it lol). Could it be that she doesn't like the feeling of the longer dressage flaps? At the moment I have a Kieffer Piet. I'm stumped. She does have a flat back, with a well sprung rib cage shape. Any ideas?

millitiger

Visit site
My horse is similar- he actually refuses to go in what I call 'modern' dressage saddles- anything with big blocks, deep seat etc (e.g. Albions and similar).

I have found he is much better in monoflap, minimalist saddles with hardly any blocks and with a fairly flat seat.
I am actually happier in this sort of saddle too as don't enjoy the locked in feeling of big blocks.

Have you tried dressage saddles without the blocks etc to compare?

Impu1sion

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Millitiger, I did have an oldish Farrington that she quite liked, not as supportive for me but ok, I suppose I like the idea of cantering around like Ben Hur, glued to saddle! Joking apart, I'm interested in the best solution for my horse, she has always done very well at competitions in spite of this, and would like ideas on what to try. What saddle do you ride in? PS Another musing is panel shape - she very slightly rises behind the saddle and I wonder if a "scooped up" panel (not sure of technical term) might follow the contours better?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've recently had a Barrie Swain DR saddle made with shorter flaps, as I only have little legs and horse is only 15hh. It makes such a difference as I find even in a standard DR saddle with normal flaps, I can't get my leg on properly because the flaps are so long. Mine has the Holistic tree in rather than the new Semi-Flex, but horse absolutely adores it. I've had a few issues getting the right saddle too, and one that he is comfortable in. He is now fine about girthing up and works beautifully in it, best he's ever felt in any saddle. And it was an overnight change as well, not a gradual one you could attribute to building muscle. I find the saddle really nice to ride in too; it doesn't have huge blocks or hold you in, and they said that to me on the phone as said they don't agree with designing saddles that way. It has improved my position, I don't feel unsupported, and it is just generally an easy saddle to ride in.

I know BS saddles are expensive but mine has been worth every penny. I now want to sell my Ideal jumping saddle and get one of theirs!

Impu1sion

Visit site
Thanks CC, I have quite short legs unfortunately, I'm 5'3" and horse is a short coupled 16hh. Glad you are happy with your BS, will take a look.

coloredred

Visit site
Have you tried the equipe emporio dressage saddle? I have one for my 14.2 and my friend has several for her horses, not found one that doesn't like it yet. It's also a bonus that it's lovely to ride in.

Impu1sion

Visit site
Have you tried the equipe emporio dressage saddle? I have one for my 14.2 and my friend has several for her horses, not found one that doesn't like it yet. It's also a bonus that it's lovely to ride in.

No, the saddler didn't have this saddle when I bought the Kieffer last year. The feedback is very good on them, will see if I can have a sit in one. Thank you!

melliebobs

Visit site
Farrington saddles are quite wide in the gullet, 3-4 fingers. My horse only goes nice in wider ones like this. I use a WH saddle for dressage as I don't like feeling too 'hemmed in' or the longer flaps. I like riding in Farringtons and Black Country saddles and my horses definitely like them too. More food for thought??

Daytona

Visit site
Barrie swain semi flex - defo the best saddles. I love my dressage one and more important so does my horse.